Is there a way for SSS to be assessed?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hoebridge.

I would wonder if the course has ever been rerated since was first done.

It had loads of features altered e.g quite a lot of the original bunkers were removed to make it easier and faster to play. 5 hour rounds were the usual at weekends when it was first opened.

I was always glad to be able to play during the week when I played there.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There seems to be some misunderstanding about the relationship between par, SSS and CSS.

The par of a hole is established in relation to length and playing difficulty, within the following ranges:
Men Yards
Par 3 - Up to 250
Par 4 - 220 – 500
Par 5 - 440 - 720
Par 6 - 660+

The playing difficulty is a subjective element estimated by an untrained committee. I have only once encountered a course where difficulty has even been considered let alone factored in.
The par for the course is simply the sum of the pars for the 18 holes.

The SSS (now Course Rating) is, as has been said, based primarily on actual length but also includes a detailed, objective determination of the difficulty factors encountered in the target landing areas for the (model) scratch player.

For example a 500 yard par 4 will tale the scratch player 3 shots to reach the green. (ie two intermediate target areas).
When a 230 yard par 4 will only take one. (ie no intermediate target area).
However the green approach may be harder in the latter case.

A course of 18 x 300 yard par 4s will have a total length of 5600 yards and a par of 72
A course of 18 x 400 yard par 4s will have a total length of 6400 yards and a par of 72

A rough calculation would give the former a CR of 67 approx and the latter 71 approx.

The CSS simply determines the relative difficulty of the course and conditions on that day for the particular players playing in that competition.