Is the golf playing season over?

bradleywedge

Visit site
Played a local course on Sunday and it was very wet, the ball plugging at the end of August! not enjoyable, it has done nothing but rain since. Is it time to put the clubs away till next year?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope not .
In past years it’s shown a pattern of nice early in the year.
Very wet in “ summer months”
Then nice weather September/ October.
Maybe we need to adjust more to our weather.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hopefully there will be a late flourish in September in time for H4H but even then it won't be long until Winter rules anyway and we're all moaning that we can't play in the evenings and how many layers we have on. I like winter golf. The ball doesn't take hot bounces, wetter conditions means it doesn't run into the longer rough and the rough has died/been cut back anyway

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Played a local course on Sunday and it was very wet, the ball plugging at the end of August! not enjoyable, it has done nothing but rain since. Is it time to put the clubs away till next year?

Lol, play all year round in any weather, the season is in full flow, won't feel like bad weather to at least end of November.

I do hope for less rain this year as last was dreadful

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't quite get the people who just put the clubs in the garage at a particular point in the year. Put on a jumper, woolly hat and crack on. I don't play in daft weather but golf in the Autumn and Winter is still fun.
I play some of my best golf in winter.
I don’t like it when it’s really hot.
I actually never played a couple of times this year as it was TO HOT.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not great weather today - now more very windy than wet. If it stays dry I might head for a few holes this evening. Course needed the rain. Looking in tip-top condition. Perfect for the coming two months play.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I played in Florida once in February... I was put with 2 lads from "Up State New York" who hadn't been able to set foot on their course for over 3 months due to snow! But not here,

So, no, in most parts of the UK it is far from over. I've just sent off an entry for an Open at Royal Porthcawl on 9th November, I have a Soc day at Hankley later that month - I'd play on Christmas Day if I didn't think Donna would throttle me!