Is the current Monarchy too costly for the UK

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There will now be a reshuffle of residents in the vast Royal estate as the various members of the RF relocate. The proportion of UK land 'owned' by royalty in the UK is pretty high.

With their fortunes is it time they were self sufficient and not funded by taxpayers who commonly and increasingly find house prices moving beyond their reach.

D

Deleted member 15344

As each person pays a total of £1.29 a year then I think for the level of money they bring in and the level of employment they provide then £1.29 is well worth it.

I’ll take the Royal Family and King being the nations head all day long ?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
As each person pays a total of £1.29 a year then I think for the level of money they bring in and the level of employment they provide then £1.29 is well worth it.

I’ll take the Royal Family and King being the nations head all day long ?
Where are you getting 1.29 from ? Does it make you feel better than saying 10s and 10s of millions?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The thread is to be non political, discussion of the constitution / funding of the monarchy etc is ok,

As a Royalist I’m not going to comment on the subject matter, I’ll just let the anti’s talk among themselves

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, the fix cost roughly £1.29 a person plus whatever security costs

Worth every penny

Rather that then an elected head of state we then get people who crave power and act classless.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
The royal family are unable to make political comment. How can it be a political thread ?

Actually one of the strongest arguments for retaining the Monarchy is the knowledge that without it our heads of state will be third rate failed politicians. Presidents Blair, Major or Bercow – a fate considerably worse than the apolitical House of Windsor!

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
No, the fix cost roughly £1.29 a person plus whatever security costs

Worth every penny

Rather that then an elected head of state we then get people who crave power and act classless.
Why do you keep saying £1.29 ... It's upwards of £250000000

And royal families are more than adept at being power hungry and acting class less???

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The royal family are unable to make political comment. How can it be a political thread ?

Our entire political system of governance is constitutional monarchy. Discussion for and against or questioning what and whether it should be changed are wholly political.

But I know you know that and you’re just on the wind up. ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Where are you getting 1.29 from ? Does it make you feel better than saying 10s and 10s of millions?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...al-family-cost-a-breakdown-of-the-key-figures

£102.4 million - Official expenditure by the monarchy - a rise of £14.9 million or 17% from £87.5 million in 2020/2021.

£1.29 - Cost per person in the UK of funding the total Sovereign Grant.

77p - Cost per person of the "core" part of the Sovereign Grant for official duties - not including funds for the long-term Buckingham Palace works.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-57559653.amp

For 2021-2022 the Sovereign Grant was set at £86.3m - equivalent to £1.29 per person in the UK.This does not include security costs.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Our entire political system of governance is constitutional monarchy. Discussion for and against or questioning what and whether it should be changed are wholly political.

But I know you know that and you’re just on the wind up. ?

Discussion about the system itself is not political

It gets political when political parties are brought into the thread, certain policies criticised or personalities mentioned.

This list is not exhaustive

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
The cost of the Monarchy is much greater than the Sovereign grant alone so its a bit disingenuous to use that figure as the cost.