Is links golf obsolete?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have not played many, mainly because to get to a links from here is about a 2 1/2 hour drive (deal, cinque ports, royal st. georges).

I have played Ballybunion though. Not hugely impressed to be honest.

I would like to play more, but the best are pretty expensive, and if I am going to spend money on a golf holiday, I like to guarantee the weather. Hence Florida every year.

Nice photo, but not particularly linksy. And yes, I would love to play there.

The advantage you scots boys have is that you can go out and try these courses without organising a monster trip, that can then be boshed by terrible weather. I went to Edinburgh a number of years ago, and in two weeks, every day had one hour without fog. Not conducive to golf.

I would love to give it another go, hoping to play Ardglass in September. I will report back if I do.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see your problem, Murph.

Surprised you didn't like Ballybunion. Was it the Old Course? I spent many weeks there playing both courses when I was young and actually preferred the Cashen Course, especially the holes along the coastline.

Not all links courses are to my liking. Same with any course, I suppose. Played Hoylake and Lytham when I was younger and to be honest don't remember a single hole. Maybe too much Jack Daniels in the meantime but I can remember every one at Carnoustie, Ballybunion, Tralee etc. I always think that's a sign of a good course, parkland or otherwise.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Murph,where are you at?

There really is nothing like a great Links course,they change daily,hourly,by the minute.
Having played nearly all my golf in Surrey (only played twice in Wales) it is just a joy to play these wonderful challenging courses.

Psycho

Visit site
I'm a new poster but have been stunned by this thread.

Murph - if you've only played once on a links how on earth can you be so sure of your opinions? To say that links golf doesn't require the ability to shape the ball is quite extraordinary. The ability to draw or fade the ball is certainly more important than on a parkland course, to ensure the ball is working the right way when it lands. Firm fairways (not just greens) test the golfer's ability to control the balls flight and to visualise shots. There's far more skill required than the dart throwing competition that is the PGA Tour week in, week out.

Links golf tests the imagination as much as shot playing ability and leaves room for doubt, which can be fatal to the top pros. I guess mots of us live with doubt as part of our golf game but those guys don't. Perhaps the ultimate proof of the pudding is that the only Major playedon links has as good,if not better, a record of identifying the best players as the other three Majors.