Is it wrong to putt cack handed?

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to the practice hole tonight, and tried out the Dave Pelz chipping method off the back ankle and turning your feet to the hole and cannot say how much confidence this gives me over the tricky chip and runs around the green. It's hard to hit a real bad one, and the good ones just seem to cosy up to the hole real nice, running very true.

anyway, went on the putting green and as usual was smashing them miles past, wide, leaving then short and generally making a mess.

so, went right above left to see how it felt - and it felt so much better .More control over pace, holed loads more and the misses were closer. - what's the view on this method? Have I turned myself into some sort of pariah and someone be avoided and wary of?!!

(Can't wait to try both new things I've learnt above on the track tomoz, won't sleep tonight!)

rob

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does it not take a period of getting used to if you previously putted the other way.

I just can't get into it at all?

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
I switched about 6 years ago due to problems with short putts. Found it a revelation for the shorties but took a while to get used to longer putts.

I recently changed back to conventional as my striking had began to get iffy and seemed better with a conventional grip, but think I'll be going back to left hand low as it just feels more controlled.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are having a mental block on something the best thing is change.

I use a similar tactic at work, if I am struggling on something I try to make a change. Either work on something else or move to a different seat or even just go get a glass of water.

If you can reduce by changing your grip then that is enough to overcome the mental block.

There is no right way or wrong way, just varying degrees of best depending on your mental state, body and technique (plus a few more I bet).

Without the mental block the most solid technique should win out, with a block then change to the next best or one different enough to relieve the effect.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I putt left hand low, maybe not a glowing recommendation right enough!! :rofl:

In all seriousness I find it much easier to putt "down the line" with it, holing out is exponentially better with it than conventional.

Other advantage I've found is on very quick greens, I find it easier to control pace with it.

My big problem is I really struggle to get my shoulders square with a conventional grip but much easier to get my right elbow in at my side cack handed.

Give it a try and see how it works

Last edited:

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't quite a few of the pro's putt this way?

Pretty sure Jordan Speith does and one of the commentators said if you were starting off its better to putt like that right from the beginning,Butch Harmon maybe?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
As a left handed golfer whose left hand is always below my right when I put I would say that it is not the answer to your putting woes. If my putting is anything to go by. ;)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I tried it many years ago and while it seemed to provide good results in practice I soon went back to the conventional method but if it works for you then do it.

The most important thing when putting IMHO is not to think about it. The moment you start to think about how hard to hit it you will struggle. You need to stand over the putt, switch off and let your subconcious deal with it.

Equally, you need to learn not to care about the result when you're over the putt.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I noticed watching the pga tour last couple of weeks that there are a lot of pros doing this. If it's good enough for them... Personally I can't get comfy with it but if it works for you then crack on.
In the last couple of weeks I've played betterball matches with 3 cat 1's and 2 other single figure players (one was my partner).
5 players who have all achieved your goal of single figs, 5 different putting styles.
- conventional (4 hcap)
- conventional with fat grip (9 hcap)
- long counterbalanced and left hand low (3 hcap)
- two thumb grip (4 hcap)
- short putter with superstroke left hand low (8 Hcap)

Use what works.

Richuk123

Head Pro
Visit site
There are many things out there to improve your putting, but i am a firm believer that find something that works and stick with it. the way i set up to a putter , considering my handicap, would leave most teachers bemused.

i set up open to the ball, with the ball back in my stance and stand quite upright. i feel i make better contact when i catch it just before the bottom of my arc , rather than coming through.

You wouldn't teach this, but why change something that isn't broke.

Find something you like, gives you the confidence and knock them putts in :thup:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I tried putting left hand below right a few years ago, after I developed the putting yips with a conventional grip. It worked up to a point, but I found it difficult to get any feel for distance. Ended up using the claw grip. Use whatever (legal) method works for you, and don't worry what it looks like or what other players think about it! :)