Is it time to retire?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My company today offered an extension to my finish date - to the end of March. An extra month salary; pension contributions, and company benefits...I thought for a moment; had a chat with the Mrs - and have gone for that. After all - as she said - fits just fine with likely restart to playing golf and what else would I do through March...(well she had plenty lined up for me). And gives me a little time to get used to the idea.

Sounds perfect :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My company today offered an extension to my finish date - to the end of March. An extra month salary; pension contributions, and company benefits...I thought for a moment; had a chat with the Mrs - and have gone for that. After all - as she said - fits just fine with likely restart to playing golf and what else would I do through March...(well she had plenty lined up for me). And gives me a little time to get used to the idea.

Did you get full wage in end or the 4 days?

Congrats on your decision

Every day on the course!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Did you get full wage in end or the 4 days?

Congrats on your decision

Every day on the course!
Full...well that’s what been outlined - I expect the agreement I need to sign later this week So we’ll see. I count myself very fortunate. The month extra income pays my membership subs in full up front plus a complete new set of golf clubs ?

Also end March gives me time to sort things out plus gives my boss time to sort out a replacement...I was feeling very guilty and awkward about ‘dumping him in it’ as I would have only been giving him one day notice of my departure - and even although it was not my issue it was to me on a personal basis.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Full...well that’s what been outlined - I expect the agreement I need to sign later this week So we’ll see. I count myself very fortunate. The month extra income pays my membership subs in full up front plus a complete new set of golf clubs ?

Also end March gives me time to sort things out plus gives my boss time to sort out a replacement...I was feeling very guilty and awkward about ‘dumping him in it’ as I would have only been giving him one day notice of my departure - and even although it was not my issue it was to me on a personal basis.

Enjoy the well earned rest!

My father retired this time last year

He loves every day

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well that's it then - and at the moment I am feeling a bit like the football club manager who has been having a difficult time - as just a little earlier I received the signed copy of my departure agreement - and so at the end of this month, and in accordance with the confidentiality agreement it contains - I shall be leaving my employment by mutual consent. Nice and handy for golf restarting and enabling me to enter the mid-week summer knock outs :)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well that's it then - and at the moment I am feeling a bit like the football club manager who has been having a difficult time - as just a little earlier I received the signed copy of my departure agreement - and so at the end of this month, and in accordance with the confidentiality agreement it contains - I shall be leaving my employment by mutual consent. Nice and handy for golf restarting and enabling me to enter the mid-week summer knock outs :)
Well done Hugh, don't look back. Still a bonus to come when you eventually get your state pension, and you won't pay any national insurance.
See you next time you visit auld yin :D (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well done Hugh, don't look back. Still a bonus to come when you eventually get your state pension, and you won't pay any national insurance.
See you next time you visit auld yin :D(y)
I'm going to be sorting a stay with my brother in Islay as soon as we can sort it - and as he's a member of Machrie (at least he was last time I checked :) ) ...maybe when I'm passing Glasgow there will be room in my car for a passenger :)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going to be sorting a stay with my brother in Islay as soon as we can sort it - and as he's a member of Machrie (at least he was last time I checked :) ) ...maybe when I'm passing Glasgow there will be room in my car for a passenger :)
Too near all those distilleries for me :ROFLMAO:. We'll arrange something a bit more local once you know your dates, maybe even a Scottish mini meet at my gaff.(y):unsure:

AliMc

Visit site
Enjoy your retirement, three full years for me now and absolutely loving it
One of my group is also a member at Machrie, we are badgering him enough to hopefully get ourselves over there when we can

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Go back a couple centuries and I'm a Farquharson, but I've always felt more attached to the land and whiskies of the inner Hebrides. Love Islay. Enjoy.
Sample Bunnahabhain, if you get a chance.
I know exactly how you feel...on my father's side we are from Tiree, as well as my sister-in-law being an Ileach - and as amusing as the rivalry between Islay and Tiree is my brother has played it safe by having has a foot in both islands :) And as nice Islay is - for me it's Tiree - and all being well we'll tie in a visit to my Tiree relatives with staying with my brother in Islay. Will be nice to be free to plan such visits whenever...

We are fortunate also to have cousins in Farquharson land on Deeside - up Banchory way...another trip beckons.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Three years of retirement completed as of today... Wish I could say safely... Generally now though, question why I didn't proceed with my previous attempts of calling it a day instead of leaving it to my 65th year...

I completed my 3 years at the end of Jan, at the tender age of 59. Like you I wish I'd gone sooner. My initial plan was for 2 years earlier but they threw everything at me to persuade me to stay - not sure 2 years in Aberdeen was the 'win' I expected it to be.