Is it time to retire?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
This is a major dilemna, or should it be dilemma, in the Hobbit household. Work couldn't be better, well maybe it could but it's a fantastic job which I really enjoy... but... should I really be cramming in these hours AND working away to the extent I am - 50-60hr weeks and a week away a month? Work is a really exciting place to be at present, and probably will be for a few years to come.

However, unrelated to work, I now have the opportunity to retire. Do I want to play golf 4-5 days a week? No. Do I want to take up gardening and walk the dog for a few hours a day? No. I can find plenty to keep me occupied but I enjoy the job.

Retiring, and doing all the things I like to do away from work is a huge attraction but, equally, dropping something which I really enjoy is a tough one to reconcile...:confused:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a major dilemna, or should it be dilemma, in the Hobbit household. Work couldn't be better, well maybe it could but it's a fantastic job which I really enjoy... but... should I really be cramming in these hours AND working away to the extent I am - 50-60hr weeks and a week away a month? Work is a really exciting place to be at present, and probably will be for a few years to come.

However, unrelated to work, I now have the opportunity to retire. Do I want to play golf 4-5 days a week? No. Do I want to take up gardening and walk the dog for a few hours a day? No. I can find plenty to keep me occupied but I enjoy the job.

Retiring, and doing all the things I like to do away from work is a huge attraction but, equally, dropping something which I really enjoy is a tough one to reconcile...:confused:

From my little experience of retirement (I'm 25 years away from it), one thing I would say would be that I'd be damn sure you've got something to keep you active physically and mentally if you do choose to retire.. I've lost count of my former colleagues who have retired, then deteriorated quickly and suddenly.. The ones who thrive are the ones who have plenty to do.. And if you're coming from a background of 60+ hour weeks and mental stimulation, then maybe a part time job would help the transition..

Oh, and the second I get chance to retire I'm taking it.. You get one chance at this life.. Try to spend it doing something worthwhile..

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having no idea what line of work you are in Hobbit, its tricky. But is there an opportunity to go freelance as a trouble shooter, board member, adviser, consultant kind of thing? Pick and choose when you work, work with struggling companies and also get some decent rewards!

Good luck in whatever you chose!

S

Snelly

Everyone I know who has retired recently says they have never been busier.

If you can afford it financially, do it. A no brainer in my view. You will without doubt find things that are equally, if not more rewarding to occupy your time. All my mates have.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been retired for over 3 years after being made redundant and deciding to try early retirement. I have to say I love it, I play golf 4 or 5 times a week, sometimes more in Summer. However if I hadn't taken up golf I would have been bored very quickly.

I would also add that I did mostly enjoy my job.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Very personal decision I'm afraid. Finances, lifestyle, dependencies, family etc all play their part. My employer has been shedding mercilessly, mostly on voluntary terms for a few years and I must say I don't know one person who's gone who says they wish they hadn't. Assuming you are talking about early retirement then I think a big factor is the likelihood of a repeat exercise in say 3-4 years? I would hate to be stuck in a job (which may have become tedious) wishing I had taken the chance when I had it.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
What on earth is your job that you have to think about it? Beer taster?

Hear, hear! If you can afford it, do it. With golf, travel and the other things you do in the small amount of leisure time you now have you'll never be bored. I've been (semi) retired for 12 years now & time never passes slowly. Come back & have a game at your old club!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you do retire, you better get down to B&Q and get yourself some new tools cause HID will have plans. :mad:

I met my old boss after he retired and he said
''I get up when I'm awake, I go to bed when I'm tired, I eat when I'm hungry and the only time I wear a watch is so that I'm not late for my tee time''. :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The key is your mentality. I know people who have embraced retirement, they love it and would never want to work again. I also know people who hate it and fight it every day. They simply did not want to retire and so mentally have not accepted it. Very sad to see. Only do it when you want to, say yes to 95% of suggestions and invites and enjoy it. Personally, if I could afford it I would retire tomorrow and I'm 45.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I stopped working about 6 months ago, although I'm doing a building project on my business premises that hopefully will be my pension. I still do some office functions for the business as well, but, I'm pretty well retired

At first I found it hard to gave no role day to day as I've worked since I was 15, but I'm finding filling the time and being alone a fair bit more easier by the day and I shall probably look for a bit of part time work I'm quite content with the initial decision to stop working. I only wish that the timing had been better and that I'd been able to play And practice a bit more whilst the weather was better.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited:
V

vkurup

It all depends on a lot of factors... what you do and how much will you enjoy without it. Also, how would it be financially viable.
If I could do it, I would go down the route suggested by Rooter... can you go down the consultant route which gives you flexibility to work part time (esp in winter when you cant play golf). I met someone at the course. He apparently played every weekend when he was working, and now plays less than once or twice a month.

After working at a job he loved, my dad retired about 15 yrs ago. It lasted about a week as my mom got bored of him in the house and asked him to go and 'do something'. Since then he has been a consultant and travels extensively and almost has a new career - he just loves it so much.

Good luck on whatever you decide.. (I would love to be in you place)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes please tell us what you do, I use to love my job but that was over 20 yrs ago!
:eek:
If I could retire tomorrow I would at a drop of a hat:smirk:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you have enough income/resources and a chance to retire, then take it! I now play golf 5 times a week and persue other hobbies, and frankly don't know how I ever found time to go to work! Been retired for 4 years btw. You are a long time dead, so enjoy life while you can! :)

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
All things being equal such as financial security then imagine yourself retired versus working in a job you obviously enjoy and decide which you'd prefer. Lots of people continue to work when retirement is a viable option because it's what they love and a huge part of their lives they can't imagine giving up.

I'm all but retired as I work 1 day a week and yes play golf most of the others. Like Louise though I'm not sure what I'd fill my days with without golf - the current closure due to snow is testing that!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personal decision, if you love your job that much I would carry on but try to reduce your unhealthy hours.

Many folk do not prepare for retirement.
I took early retirement aged 57 and then had 6 years seasonal and part time [paid hobby] work, lessening off to two days a week until I stopped working
Time seems to be flying for me gardening, minding grandkids, hill walking in winter, bowls in summer, lots of short breaks, charity work etc.

I had three close friends who died in their final working years. They all had great plans for retirement that they never fulfilled.

teetime75

Medal Winner
Visit site

If you enjoy your work stick with it.

You say you have plenty to keep you occupied but thats only because you`re at work for 60hrs.
Think about it.- 60 extra hrs. at home every week takes a lot of filling.
10 hrs. a day for six days a week for the next how many yrs. until you HAVE to retire.

I enjoyed my job but was forced to retire. 10yrs ago I`d go back tomorrow.

Good luck with your choice.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Tv
All things being equal such as financial security then imagine yourself retired versus working in a job you obviously enjoy and decide which you'd prefer. Lots of people continue to work when retirement is a viable option because it's what they love and a huge part of their lives they can't imagine giving up.

I'm all but retired as I work 1 day a week and yes play golf most of the others. Like Louise though I'm not sure what I'd fill my days with without golf - the current closure due to snow is testing that!

Ever thought of starting a flapjack delivery service to the aged of Kent??