Is a high flight a bad flight.?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've always been a mid to low ball flight player, possibly because I've mostly used Dynamic Gold shafts, mainly S300.
Allegedly, I need a heavy shaft to cope with my fairly aggressive transition and fairly late release.
Ive been trialling a lighter Stiff Shaft...the XP95.
High launch, high spin. Definitely high launch!!
A big difference to the DG.. especially as they're a club longer...
I suppose it's down to staying in the air longer...
Obviously, with a flight that high the wind is going to have an affect.
But I've hit both shafts into a moderate breeze and the XP was still a club longer.
I quite like the high flight as the ball comes down and stops pretty quick.
What am I missing.....?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always been a mid to low ball flight player, possibly because I've mostly used Dynamic Gold shafts, mainly S300.
Allegedly, I need a heavy shaft to cope with my fairly aggressive transition and fairly late release.
But I've hit both shafts into a moderate breeze and the XP was still a club longer.
What am I missing.....?

nope, as long as the distance is still reasonable

need height for distance - most folks would be surprised just how high the peak height is of many top tour pros (unless they purposely hitting a low flight ball)

peak height as a norm will be around 90 feet and over with driver flight up to 100 feet and some for those 290 - 300 carries

as long as the spin loft angle is reasonable so the spin rate doesn't really factor up - height+ball speed goes into equaling optimum distances

it's when strike plus AoA really whacks the spin rate up that you get the height that hurts the shot - high floaters that go nowhere or real high spin that just balloons it up straighways

real windy near chicago at weekend yet McIlroy still hitting high ball low-ish spin rates that didn't get hurt over much by the strong gusts (he would have taken that into account for line on some balls but still was putting it 'up' some)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I bought my latest irons it was a toss up between XP95 and KBS Tour-90.

I could quite happily have lived with either but the KBS just edged it for me.

They do hit the ball high but I don't mind that. I can hit low if I need to, but as coach said, high isn't bad provided the reason it's high isn't because it's spinning like a turbo in a car!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
What am I missing.....?

I wouldn't worry too much about the wind, you're not always playing with Fragger……… :D

As far as the clubs go if you're hitting it a club longer into the wind, why are you on here posting about it, just go & buy them!

Imurg

Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about the wind, you're not always playing with Fragger……… :D

As far as the clubs go if you're hitting it a club longer into the wind, why are you on here posting about it, just go & buy them!

Is, I suspect, the correct answer Blue!
They certainly don't seem to be ballooning so I just might do as you suggest👍😀

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My RS1's launch the ball a lot higher than my old Cobras with no loss of distance. In fact, I'm hitting it further with them.
Give me a lot more confidence when I have anything to carry and I much prefer the flight coming in on par 3's.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ive just gone back to my X2 Hot irons, they give a much higher flight but up to 1.5 extra club distance, also I'm told that balls these days are much less affected by the wind than balls of old

Go for em Ian - you know it makes sense!

D

Deleted member 21258

Provided the flight is not a weak high flight, go for it. Sometimes Adam get a very weak high right shot which is probably 10-15 yards short(I assume due to open clubface or flicking though impact)

Over the last 4 months, I have been trying to hit my driver and irons higher and am loving the flight, so would definitely say go for it. I have not noticed any drop off in distance if anything I am actually getting more carry distance for the same clubhead speed. This is with the same irons and am looking to change mine, so interested in what you say above.

Amazing to hear that a shaft can have that much affect on flight and that you have noticed that it is so much higher, could I ask if that is on the same iron heads or different iron heads/clubs ?

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the TT 95's and they are a much higher flight than my old S300's but I get better carry distances with them and load them up well. I can purposely hit them lower when needed into windy links courses but I love the shaft.

Tried the same clubs with some px in the other day, lower flight and I didn't like it :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Re OP - I hope not as I am working on getting a much higher ball flight than I have had all my golfing life. Mind you I have always been a 'low drawer' as I taught myself playing a windy (not twisty) track.

Imurg

Visit site
Provided the flight is not a weak high flight, go for it. Sometimes Adam get a very weak high right shot which is probably 10-15 yards short(I assume due to open clubface or flicking though impact)

Over the last 4 months, I have been trying to hit my driver and irons higher and am loving the flight, so would definitely say go for it. I have not noticed any drop off in distance if anything I am actually getting more carry distance for the same clubhead speed. This is with the same irons and am looking to change mine, so interested in what you say above.

Amazing to hear that a shaft can have that much affect on flight and that you have noticed that it is so much higher, could I ask if that is on the same iron heads or different iron heads/clubs ?

Similar heads and lofts, just that one is labeled 7 iron and one is labeled 6 iron....and it ain't the 6 iron that's going further...

D

Deleted member 21258

Thanks for the replies, looking to buy new irons shortly, so will definitely have to go and get fitted and try different shafts.

Thanks again, really interesting to hear real life experiences.