Is a GPS device going against the spirit of golf.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Oddsocks, I think you'll have to go by user recommends as the issue with some of the GPS that provide course overviews is the source of the data. Very often the same as Google maps which can be some years out of date - not a problem where a course hasn't changed in aeons but mine for one has had a lot of changes over the last two or three years.

Some of them are quite good at updating courses if you let them know. From what I've heard of Shotmiser customer service is that they respond to questions really quickly. I'll let you know in a week how quick if they get my course file updated before I tee off on Saturday!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I won my GPS Shotmiser G300 so have no bias due to financial reasons.

I don't often use it to be honest, its not like I think about hitting the ball to the back of the green and spin it back 6 foot. I am more concerned about hitting the bloody thing onto the green and due to playing my home course more often than not its pretty easy to know the yardages.

If you play away a lot I really can see the benefits of the DMD or if you are a low handicapper where a shot and yard gone is a card wasted.

One thing I do like about the Shotmiser is the stats option, I can see my average driver distance, my FIR, GIR and number of putts at a glance.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I must say and confess this thread is swaying me to the digital side . Although I have a home track I'm normally playing 60-70% of my golf at courses I only play once or twice a year. With this in mind it's hard to remember dead ground, green depths etc so maybe I can be swayed

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love mine and when I got it I went through most of my bag getting accurate distances for all my clubs. This feature is the one you want to make use of if you get one. No point knowing what the yardage is if you dont know how far you hit your clubs. Most people i've come across with gps devices were underclubbing themselves due to thinking they could hit further than they actually could. Or once a season they could hit a 7 iron 160 yards and they thought this was what they do every week

Perfect example at the weekend I had 165 to the pin and hit a 7 iron pin high 10 ft to the right (landed and stopped btw). A few holes later I had the exact same yardage to a par3 pin and consequently hit the same 7 iron to 3 feet. All down to the gps and knowing the yardage you hit your club (realistically that is).

I wouldnt want to go back to guestimating yardages..no sir ..not one bit

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldnt want to go back to guestimating yardages..no sir ..not one bit

So that's how you won the Club Champs and the Goymour Cup, you CHEATED. Shame on you using those cheating machines

Here's mine :D

DSCI0189.jpg

Birdietastic

Visit site
I think GPS is great. I wish i bought one months ago. All the information you need instantly on a screen plus a lot quicker than pacing out markers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I play a lot of my golf at my home track but I still use mine every round. It is a godsend from 100 yards and in when it comes to choosing a wedge depending on the pin location and it could vary from a PW to 52 or a 52 to 58 so it does make a difference. Also, if you tend to be "directionally challenged" as I seem to be at the moment it is invaluable for looking for a safe lay up short of any hazards etc especially if coming in from rough or even other fairways.

It is brilliant away from home too. Some of the strokesavers are very poor. Lydd for example was hand drawn, run through the photocopier and stapled together. No layout of each hole and no use at all. Others give an overview but then don't have very many reference points so unless you want to pace it out (not perfect as a visitor with memebers stacking up behind) then without it you take pot luck

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just love it when you play against a self confessed "traditionalist"

"GPS, pah Bobby Jones would turn in his grave!" is normally their opening sentence just before removing the headcover from one of a range of hybrids that Toyota would be proud of (recalling).

Traditionalist when it suits them. Jog on.

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
One of the main benefits of a GPS device is the time saved during a round,

When I'm about 10 yards from my ball, I enter my GPS zone.

It comes out of my bag and I take a guess at what I think I've got in to the green. It's confirmed in an instant when I get alongside my ball. Club selection is then decided after wind etc is considered. The whole time taken from entering the zone to actually standing over the ball ready to swing, 10-15 seconds. Pretty quick huh!

Now how pleased are the group behind me that I'm so quick and ready to play.

It's just a shame that the old school of thought guys in the group in front haven't yet been converted and continue to take an age to walk to the green and back from 150 yards because they know the markers are out!

Go GPS and go quicker without rushing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The sad thing is, most of the "traditionalist" rely on hitting the same club from the same position on every round. It seems to escape their attention that they end up short of the green or in the same trap all the time. and that they never seem to leave themselves realistic birdie opportunities.

It was an eye opener when I first got my SC that I really do only drive it around 230 yards (I thought I was around 250 easily) and that I can't hit a 7 iron more than 140. Armed with that knowledge it gave me the confidence to take one club more if the flag was at the back and trust that it was right and I wouldn't go sailing through. I think its this fear that stops a lot of guys doing the same and so ending up on the wrong third of the green and facing long two putts all the time.

I'm a huge fan and have been for ages. I don't really care what others think in the same way as I don't care if they think my huge driver, balanced putter and go-kart are all against the spirit. They make my life easier and although I know its 165 to the flag I still need to make the shot. At least I have the right club in my hand its just the bit between taking it back and making contact thats letting me down

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Imagine you walked onto the tee of a par 3 on a course you'd never played. You go to take your club out of your bag and you realise there's no distance marker. I can almost guarantee the 1st question wil be "How far is it?"

If you're lucky, one of your partners will have played there before and will know. The next question will most likely be, "Is that to the front or middle?"

Once you've established that someone will probably ask if the flag is at the back or middle.

As golfers, we crave distance information, some people might not like to admit it, but we all crave it. If we don't have it, we want to know it, we expect the course to provide it, if they didn't, we wouldn't play there.

A GPS or laser gives us the information we expect, it takes away the excuses for hitting a shot short or long, we can't blame the course markers. Equally if we hit it close we can take pleasure from the fact that we did it knowing the exact yardage. No more guessing.

As has been said already, the information is available in many forms, this just makes it easier.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must say and confess this thread is swaying me to the digital side . Although I have a home track I'm normally playing 60-70% of my golf at courses I only play once or twice a year. With this in mind it's hard to remember dead ground, green depths etc so maybe I can be swayed

Think of it this way Oddsocks.....Say for arguments sake that the club that you play regular decides to give you a human caddy for 12 months.....Someone that practices with you and that knows your exact yardage for each club.....He is able to hand you the correct club for each distance week in week out.....Now you said yourself that you still have to hit the ball regardless of the info but would you feel more comfortable knowing exactly how far you had to a pin with a decent swing.......Id take it all day long......

The GPS is the same thing except its not picking your club....Thats the only difference........If GPS was to be banned then they may as well ban caddy's on tour also as they'd be deemed unfair play for inside knowledge.......

I havent a GPS yet but its on my christmas list :D :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok ok I'm feeling the pressure. I've Bern playing with the yards etc on my caddie pro app on the iPhone and it seems it offers slot of info some of the gps systems offer including fairway bunkers, ideal tee length, trees ditches etc so I just want to see if it's a live gps or not, does anyone know

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't have a GPS and don't think I will rush out to buy one either, not because I am against them but because I am usually a very good judge of distance.

I have often said to my mate that his shot is say 95y before he checks on his SC to find I am only 3-4 yards out.
Unless I am consistantly hitting the same distance with every club, I don't believe being 5 yards or so out would make a great difference to my game.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why do we need a local rule for GPS?

Why are they not used on the pro tour?

Perhaps the R&A think they are somewhat against the grain or they would not require a local rule.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Why do we need a local rule for GPS?

Why are they not used on the pro tour?

Perhaps the R&A think they are somewhat against the grain or they would not require a local rule.

I think that the situation of a local rule came about because the R and A only bring out new rules books every 2 years (I think) and to let clubs do a local rule is the only way to introduce something in the interim. Sad though for the golfers in clubs where the retired Majors on the committee don't want to see them on their course in competition!
I did comment earlier on this topic that I heard Monty telling people he played with in a Pro AM that he thinks Pro's will use them in the next year or 2 in competitive golf - they all use them in practice rounds.

Chris

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does anybody have an app for their iphone? I have looked at Golfshot but there are no aerials- I don't think it has been google mapped yet -for my golf club so not sure how it would work.

I downloaded My Caddie Pro (free app) and i was amazed, see the new thread.