Irons - High ball flight

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks in the rough that is the shot shape I have and ill work on what Mark was talking about in the video tommorow.

Tommo I think I am going to look into lessons I just wanted to see what people thought on here. And if you do have any advice I will be more than interested in hearing it judeing by your HCP your very good It just seemed your original 2 posts were not very helpful and abit sarcastic in some ways.

No worries. Just stick to one thing at once though as your head will be in a mess. Work on what Mark says in the video get that sorted then look at other areas if required and good luck as I know how frustrating swing changes and lesson drills can be:thup:

Dreamer2

Head Pro
Visit site
You have to hit down at the ball and turn the 7 iron into a six or even 5. Many people have a problem that they are not aware of where they stop their shoulder rotation and flip their wrists through impact. This adds loft to the club and inhibits good ball compression.

Take a look at this video from Sam Goulden, I like his explanation and solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgv4hdVJ6_Y&feature=player_embedded

hurry ,,,now i know what happens when i take to much divot,,,,great video

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wont try to confuse you. I have suggested what your problem is and shown you a good video that explains the solution. I hope you try what was explained and keep your left shoulder rotating through impact, I think this will help you a lot.

If you need any more help then please ask.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Right a little update, yesterday and today on the course I focused on my head postion and shoulder rotation. My head is defianatly in front of the ball but It was hard to tell what my shoulders were doing without recording my swing. One major improver though was shortening my backswing, every time I did so the contact was a lot better and the ball flight was better. The only problem was I couldnt tell if my distance was any different because of the crazy winds which blew my trolly and cart over several times.

So at the range im going to work on shorter backswing, getting my head behind the ball and record a swing to see whats going on with my shoulder rotation, if all fails its off to see a pro.

Thanks guys

DCB

Visit site
When you do strike the ball properly, what do your divots look live ? What way do they point, are they deep or shallow ? do they differ in depth from back to front ?

I still think you may be overlooking the basic fundamentals of the setup and that's leading to toher problems. Trying to treat symptoms is not going to treat the cause I'm afraid.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
On a good strike the divot is about 2-3 inches and starts infront of the ball, sometimes take turf sometimes just scrape the surface.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seeing yourself on video will be a real help. Glad you had a bit of success today.With the wind we are having at the moment it is hard to tell as you say. Perhaps get the swing put up on here. Plenty of low cappers and a Pro to help you.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yeah I think it will be a good idea to post my swing but wont be tilll I go the range Thursday, but yeah if my putting was on which it normally is I could have had a couple of birdies today as my drives where going a mile with the wind behind me.... not so far on the holes where the wind wasnt in my favour.

Imagine Steves driver distance in the wind today at least 380 yards lol but seriously the wind was shocking today Ive never seen my bag blown over. I felt like Bear grills lost in the wilderness hanging on to my trolly, it caught my mates driver head cover and that went at least 100 yards down the fairway.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been out many a time when the wind has blown Bags/Trolleys over no fun really, we laugh about it after but playing in it is a pain. First chance you get video the swing and stuff will be a lot clearer.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may not be much DAVEYBOY. It sounds like it is something very minor if you are getting good distance and they are going online.

I think the point that Tommo was getting across and did not get it over as he probably meant was that a Pro could do wonders for you if it is only something very minor. It can be hard coming on here with your original post that just basically says you hit a good distance, but it is too high and sometimes it is coming up a club short...can anyone help me. As you have read there has been a few common causes mentioned for what you have. But without actually seeing you hit some balls, it is possible that you could be getting taken down the wrong path to sorting your problem. It is possible that it could make things worse.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do you have to hit 7 iron? Take a 6 and you'll be around the middle of the green.

A Pro will be able to sort any issues quicker than posting questions on here. For 1 he'll be able to see you swing which we cannot and he'll know where your hands are at impact.

These guys are Pro's for reasons. Your head will be mishmash if you listen to every opinion on here.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do you have to hit 7 iron? Take a 6 and you'll be around the middle of the green.

A Pro will be able to sort any issues quicker than posting questions on here. For 1 he'll be able to see you swing which we cannot and he'll know where your hands are at impact.

These guys are Pro's for reasons. Your head will be mishmash if you listen to every opinion on here.

Agreed with the fact his head can be full of mish mash but most of the people on here have advised him to see a Pro.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Exactly what i was thinking Murpthemog!

Wanted to add to this that seeing a Pro for a lesson is always good advice. Alhtough
asking a queston on here does help pass the time and often provide food for thought.

Personally, if i start to hit the ball fat it is usually because i do not start my backswing from a balanced position and will move forward on the downswing causing me to 'crash' the club into the ground ahead of the ball. As for a ballooning ball flight, some of it could be down to the shafts fitted to your clubs.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a classic symptom of the torso stalling and the arms and wrists flipping through, normally along with chicken winged elbows.. It causes fat shots or high shots if you recover