Irons - High ball flight

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you are hitting the ground before the ball you may be scooping which will give you plenty of hight but possibly not the distance you should be getting. Look at your grip and ball position. A swing check with a coach should point you in the right direction

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tommo - No it doesn't fall short by 20 yards but sometimes 10 yards short which means a missed green

Dave B - I think this sounds like the sort of problem I have with the scooping

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yeah think it will be the way forward mate just worried a pro might change everything and my game will go to pot like so many talk about on here. I've been playing my best golf the last few weeks and really don't want to loose the enjoyment.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah think it will be the way forward mate just worried a pro might change everything and my game will go to pot like so many talk about on here. I've been playing my best golf the last few weeks and really don't want to loose the enjoyment.

Look at the link I posted for you.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sorry Brian had missed the link. That video does make a lot of sense and could explain why I sometimes hit the floor first. I know I don't purposely try and scoop the ball up but I may sub-consiously be doing it, I certainly tried to scoop it when I first started and it may be a bad habit I'm unaware of. My pitching is good because I have the ball far back in my stance and hit down on the ball properly I can tell from the sound of the connection. Thanks for the vid anyway I'm going to get my mate to record my swing and check what my wrists are doing.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk

Mmmm, So you would rather come on here, get multi answers, rather than see a good pro. You've been playing your best golf in the last few weeks..........It dont add up.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tommo - No it doesn't fall short by 20 yards but sometimes 10 yards short which means a missed green

Dave B - I think this sounds like the sort of problem I have with the scooping

Thats because you are a beginner with an unofficial handicap of 24. Settle down, go see a pro and take it from there.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tommo - Mmmm, So you would rather come on here, get multi answers, rather than see a good pro. You've been playing your best golf in the last few weeks..........It dont add up.

What are you trying to get at mate, Ive asked a simple question as to why I have high ball flight what doesnt add up exactly??? Ive been getting my lowest scores ever the last few weeks so I would presume that would mean Im playing my best golf in my FIRST year, I havent said my drives are bad or my pitching and chipping aint going well and as for putting its the strongest part of my game!!! So please fill me in as to what is confusing you???

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Davey,

Dont bite mate. You always get people here saying 'Go and see a pro' as their stock reply. Maybe the forum should just have a notice saying only that.

People come on areas like 'The Lounge' to have a debate on golfy things. This area is for people to ask advice from others who may have experienced the same problem and give a bit of free advice that you can take or leave. Seems fair enough to me.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi Brian not saying there is anything wrong with the advice im being given just wondering why Tommo thinks there is some sort of conspiracy going on. He hasnt given any advice or put any positive input into the thread, instead hes posted twice and both posts show signs of confusion im just wondering why?

Thanks for the video you put up though that was POSITIVE, HELPFUL input.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Rewind…..you come on with what you see as a problem, 150 carry and stop with a 7 iron. Others tell you thats the holly grail. Then someone says you might be scooping the ball or whatever and you kind of agree. You suggest you swing may be too long. Someone then gives you the best advice, if that’s the case go see a pro. You then tell us your fears that the pro might change things and that your playing your best.

If that sums things up and your happy with your answers from the others so far then disregard anything I’m saying.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
1)So does your 7 iron only go 130 when that happens. If so, that is different from your first post.

2)Mmmm, So you would rather come on here, get multi answers, rather than see a good pro. You've been playing your best golf in the last few weeks..........It dont add up.

Right there are your two posts what exactly do you expect me to take from them???

Post 1 you are suggesting I am lieing about my distance to a stop with a 7i, 150 yards isnt that far and I did say on average, average being most of the time maybe 80%. Now the shots that dont go my usual AVERAGE usually come up short by maybe 10 yards and if it goes abit right which it does sometimes as I am a begginer it can be worse.

Now post 2 at what point did I say i came on here rather than going to a pro? I simply asked the question to see if I could relate to any of the replys. Now someone mentioned hitting the floor before the ball which can cause a scoop ding ding alarm bells ring as this is something I can relate to and I thought may be one of the causes to my high ball flight. I then did a simple test on the course today and what do you know my divot started before the ball so there was the proof I am hitting the ground first. I will now go and work on this at the range and sort it out like I have done with the rest of my game. Will I have a lesson? maybe but ill give it a go on my own first. Im not going to run to a pro every time I have a little problem with my game.

Now if you have a suggestion of good drills to improve ball striking please pass them on and ill take them on board and put them into practice.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Maybe when I hit every shot straight it will be good and ill be glad to have it but the height of the shot is not right and thats what needs sorting, Its the most frustrating thing in the world when a shots flying straight at a green then bam it drops out of the sky like a dead bird and falls 10 yards short of the green. Im defo hiitting the ground first and I think when I take abit too much ground the problem of lost yards is coming.

On the course today I put a tee inline with my ball and hit an 8 iron, the divot started about 3 inches before the ball. It wasnt a deep divot but it took the grass off the surface.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Right then...go see about it. you dont need to take anything from a pro, but you are 24 HC and if you can put your 50..70 yard shots in close then you're loosing it somewhere else.

Seriously...If i had a fiver for every high HC golfer who asked my advice. Or the advice given by HC golfers to other high hc golfers and most dont have a clue. Trust me, go see someone you can trust, most dont until its too late and end up set in their way, but wish they did.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks in the rough that is the shot shape I have and ill work on what Mark was talking about in the video tommorow.

Tommo I think I am going to look into lessons I just wanted to see what people thought on here. And if you do have any advice I will be more than interested in hearing it judeing by your HCP your very good It just seemed your original 2 posts were not very helpful and abit sarcastic in some ways.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Daveboy.

I used to hit my irons very well however on a bad day my tendency was to hit the ground before the ball. My ball flight was always high however I always hit the ball a long way, (150 yds with an 8 iron), and could stop the ball on the green.

Very occasionally I'd also shank the ball and after a particularly bad round I booked a lesson. I was told that I had to change my grip, (far too strong), stand more upright, and concentrate on keeping my head still and centred throughout the swing.

Basically because I had an overly strong grip and I moved my head slightly the coach said I was effectively dipping my right shoulder and scooping the ball which was why I was hitting the ground first.

The first game I had after the lesson was a nightmare as I shot close to 100. The following weeks were no improvement and my playing partner said that in his opinion I was trying to fix something that didn't need fixing as I'm generally reasonably accurate with my irons and could hit them considerably further than him.

But the one thing in the back of my mind told me that the coach was right as a good grip, posture and correct set up are basic fundamentals which you have to have correct to develop into a good player.

The change in grip was the hardest thing to do as changing from an overly strong grip to a neutral grip changes the take away, swing plane and angle of attack. It has taken me the best part of 6 months to get back to where I was before the lesson and my scores suffered terribly in the transition.

As a result of the above changes my swing has changed for the better and I now hit the ball correctly and take a divot. I've also worked on slowing my swing down over the last few months particularly on the take away and although the above transition was very painful in terms of scores and frustration I am now relishing the summer as I now strike the ball much better and will be a better golfer for it.

I don't like lessons however every now and then they are worth it to identify the flaws that creep into your swing unnoticed and create bad habbits or compensations that go unnoticed by your friends and playing partners.

Last edited: