Irons - High ball flight

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Evening all can anyone give me a few tips on lowering ball flight with irons and tell me what I could be doing wrong? For example I hit my 7 iron 150 yards average (on the course not range) but the flight of the ball tends to start of with average flight and then really ballons at the end and looses alot of distance and drops from the sky to a dead stop without much roll. Although it isnt a major issue I feel I could benefit from lower ball flight.

Thanks

A

Alex1975

Where are your hands at impact? By your balls? by your left pocket? by your left hip?

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just edited my post above if you want to see a review on them. Are you a really fast swing speed then? that is the only way I can see this being a problem for you and 150 yards for a 7 Iron is no mean feat I hit mine that distence and I have been playing a lot longer than yourself. Perhaps take them to your local Pro and let him have a look at them for you.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Alex - Id have to say in line with the crown jewels at impact but hard to say exactly without hitting a ball right now.

In The Rough - No my swing speed isnt that quick really but never had my official speed its certainly not a STIFF shaft swing anway

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the same problem.....my 7 iron also goes 150 but it goes way to high.

My pro said it was because my hands are slightly behind the ball at impact. So I'm working on ensuring that my hands are in front of the ball at impact.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
The clubs should be fine for you then. Perhaps have a lesson and look at you impact position and making sure your weight is being transfered properly. A decent Pro should be able to spot this and give you something to work on in the space of 1 lesson.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ive still never had a lesson so it could be the way forward. I may have come as far as I can on my own but have been playing really well lately.

One thing that may help with the diagnosis is when I hit a bad shot I tend to hit the ground before the ball. I think my backswing is also to long could that be a cause

My pitching is the strongest part of my game and on the range can put most shots within a 2 meter radius of the 50 and 70 yard marker

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I may be being paranoid and hung up on distance because thinking about it now its only after range sessions I worry about it. I hit about 135-140 at the range so I dont know if its just because of the balls and the fact its winter. Ill pay more attention on the course tommorow and report back

I still think It goes too high though ha ha

A

Alex1975

I have the same problem.....my 7 iron also goes 150 but it goes way to high.

My pro said it was because my hands are slightly behind the ball at impact. So I'm working on ensuring that my hands are in front of the ball at impact.

This is what I was going to say next...

The further forward your hands the less loft your club has.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ill pay great attention to my hand posistion tommorow and see where my hands are on impact.

I can see a shocker coming on tommorow.... head fried lol

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have exactly the same type of ball flight,my 7i goes 140,every club goes high,now i do have a problem with weight transfer so it could be that (lefty playing right does not help) also flipping hands can cause it,as can a steep angle of attack into the ball.THe best bet is to get your swing on video to see what is going on at impact.
Personally I have learned to live with it as when I tried to change it,my swing went south for 6 months!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You have to hit down at the ball and turn the 7 iron into a six or even 5. Many people have a problem that they are not aware of where they stop their shoulder rotation and flip their wrists through impact. This adds loft to the club and inhibits good ball compression.

Take a look at this video from Sam Goulden, I like his explanation and solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgv4hdVJ6_Y&feature=player_embedded