Iron swing problems on range matts

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issues as me.

When on the course or a soft matt my iron shots are fine.

When I go on hard range matts I struggle.

The pro at the range said it is because my iron/wedge swing is slightly too shallow and I strike the matt first and push the face open. On the course I hit the ball first and the result is fine.

It is only happening on about 1/3 of my iron and wedge full shots and not at all on pitch shots. It happens about 1/4 of the time on a low tee on range matts.

The answer is to just steepen my swing a little, is this correct?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is what I ended up doing, and came away very happy! My driver was just spanking them 220+ with range balls on every good swing! The bad ones were only down to me leaning back a little which is what I was there to try and not do!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
If you hit the ball first on the course you should be hitting the ball first on the mat, regardless of how hard the mat is. You'd feel yourself strike the mat after the ball which will jar but it shouldn't have any effect on the ball striking initially I wouldn't have thought.

Maybe it's in your head and you're more comfortable on the course striking right down on the ball?

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Scienceboy that's what i'm working on getting ball then turf. For me I drop it on the inside due to my head being behinf the ball. I need to get my forward and attack from the correct angle.