Iron Advice

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
First post, so here goes...

Returning to the game (read:eek:bsession) after some 6 years in the wilderness and it occurs to me that perhaps I should update my irons. So far the driver, 3w and 5w have been replaced so perhaps it's the turn of the Cobras from the 90's.
The recent replacements have proven very successful but I'm struggling to choose irons as my current hcap is 20 and I used to play off 11 - so - do I sit it out and see if things improve or jump in with an update? Of course, if the latter, any recommendations??

Any help appreciated...Ta

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly welcome to the forum.

My opinion on the matter is that if funds permit an update is definitely worthwhile, and whilst I have know idea what sort of clubs you are after (workable/forgiving) I am guessing that you are probably after a comprimise due to your handicap most probably being on the fall from 20 and I would therfore check out the Mizuno MX-25s, Taylormade R7s or the Ping G10s.

But your best bet is to try as many as posible (I tried 15 different sets of irons before narrowing it down to 2-I am yet to decide which ones to purchase) and consult professional advice on the matter. Also having seen the benefits for myself this past week I would give custom fitting some consideration.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
My current h'cap is 12, but I used to play off 8 before giving up. I have been struggling with my old irons and have bought a more forgiving/higher launch set. I wish I'd done it a little sooner. I couldn't recommend anything other than the obvious, but if you are sure you're back "into it" and are prepared to practice and take a few lessons, why not help yourself along with a nice friendly set of new irons.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There are lots of threads currently dealing with custom fitting and new irons so you should get something from them.

My best advice would be to get fitted with some decent "game improver" irons not the biggest as you seem fairly competent just something to give confidence.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Think you'll find new irons will make a difference and should help you get back to your expectd standard of golf quicker - though as I guess you found with the woods, there is a lot of choice. Good hunting.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. My take is that unless you have the time to dedicate to regular practice, your handicap will not (sadly) come down to what it was very quickly. That isn;t to say you won't plaay to that level again or better it just might take a while.

Club technology has moved on at a great pace in the last 5 or so years as companies have introduced and then refined cavity backs for mid-high handicappers and moved away from pure blades and added some forgiveness in better player clubs.

I guess it depends on the size of your wallet and what you are looking for. I would try a large retailer AG or NEvada Bob etc so you can get to swing as bigger range as possible. Once you begin to narrow it down you can decide on custom or off the shelf fitting and then shop around and see what deals you can find.

Once again welcome to the biggest, maddest, funniest, at times most argumentative but always friendly forum on the net

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dont look past the X20's, playing of 20 these clubs should suit you right down to the low teens if you get back to that.

Welcome to the forum mate. Good luck. Please keep us posted, we love to revel in the knowledge one of our own has just treated them selves and is enjoying the honeymoon period all over again.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have gone with X20s too (as you know) had it not been for the "joker" in the pack with £149 Macgregors!!!

I absolutely LOVE the graphite shafts in my new set (stiff graphite design), never thought I'd ever accept graphite in an iron set.....no problems with inaccuracy either.....same as ever, at the course and range.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
one of them most certainly are going to be throughly tested and I will let you/the forum know how i get on once I have my new clubs. I can tell you already however from the testing I have already conducted that they are both excellent clubs for a very justifiable sum of money- hense the dilemma noted in my post.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just to confuse you even more, I'd suggest the R7's from Taylormade. Very forgiving with strong lofts which means slightly longer shots.

I had a set of X20's before someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse for a set of shiny new R7's. They are a top club

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
First off welcome to the forum, always good to have more Welsh golfers on here.

Also have a look at the Wilson Staff Ci7 irons, they seem to be aimed at people such as yourself. There so many good sets about at the moment you really are spoilt for choice. Get down your local club/American golf and hit as many as possible.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
OK - all irons noted and will wander along to AG in Manchester next month for testing - if I manage to narrow it down (so many to choose from...) then it'll be a trip to get fitted.

Just so you know the driver/3w/rescue/SW were all bought on recommendations from reviews and some testing at AG. They are all very fine sticks (for me anyway). The Ping G10 is ridiculously forgiving, the TM Burner 3W has a great ball flight (particularly for wind play), the TM rescue is just the ticket for 'getting out of jail' and the SW is beyond comparison for greenside spin control (IMHO).

Hopefully, I'll get the same luck with the irons...!

Thanks again for all your help and will keep you posted.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
Irons Updated.

Thank you all for your advice - I set up testing at AG and finally got round to trying the MX-25, X20, R7, Burner, Burner XD - all picked as they were in my skill bracket (or so I thought).

After a short while I started hitting all the clubs reasonably well - very different from the Cobras. The MX-25s were, easily the best in feel and consistency but then the guy helping me test put a spanner in the works and said I should try the MP-60. I don't know where to begin in describing these irons, suffice to say I think they are golfing heaven to hit. Sure, not so good when off centre but the weight and feel of the iron as a whole is fantastic.

I so nearly bought the MX-25 but the thing that swayed it for me was the MP-60 lofts which are very similar to the Cobras and suit my game and links course I play. the MX-25 were too strong 7 iron upwards which is hard work when it's blowy.

So, yes, 2 hours later, I'm a very proud owner of the MP-60!!!!

:)

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
hang on a sec.

301 on the scoreboard and your first post?

you're either very shy or there's something up with the counter.

Either way - welcome

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Poor you OldWindy....eveyone thinks you are a newbie!!

I would have thought the 60s will do you fine. Well done in the iron update....if you have the same "wow" feeling that I got by moving forward at least 10 years, then you are going to be wearing a big smile for a long time!

Mizuno....hard to go wrong really....