Returning Golfer Advice

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

1st post. :)

I am a returning golfer (45 years old), played 10-15 years ago solidly 3 times a week handicap low teens. I still have my equipment but am looking for advice on what to change if at all.

My son who is 9 has started playing and having weekly lessons and I have the bug again.

My gear is this.

I have a Cobra Sz440 driver with the illegal CoR. I hit it around 300 yards, I love the shape it hits a nice right to left.

I have Mizuno MP-001 fairway woods in 3,5 and 7.

I have a Ben Hogan Recovery 4H with a steel shaft.

Irons are a set of Ben Hogan Apex FTX and I am finding these very tough to hit these days, semi blades not much cavity.

Been playing a month now and things I am having trouble with, clean hits on the irons and fairway woods. No issues with the driver or recovery club. Distance is good with the driver but poor with the fairways and irons.

Thoughts are changing the irons for some GI stuff, currently playing off around 20hc.

Not sure on replacing the driver or fairway woods.

Also cost is an issue as I cannot afford to pay top rate for all the gear.

Things seemed to have moved on in the last 10 years so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I should have added, would it be worth swapping to a new driver and fairway woods based on current advances or am I fine with the current clubs?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The driver will have to change if you are wanting to play in comps anyway. If you are just playing socially then stick with it. The difference between old and new clubs is largely forgiveness. Your good shots will probably go the same distance. With new clubs there are more sweet spots and your bad shots will still do okay. From your comments the priority would be getting more forgiving irons.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Try and get along to local clubs and ranges to test out some new clubs. Also find out out if any of the big manufactures are doing some demo days in your region.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I was in your position I would search Ebay for something like the Taylormade ROCKETBladez irons, or the Callaway X-14 irons. Both are nice sets of clubs, quite forgiving, but give the ball a real good whack and I've always heard good things about them. You should be able to pick up a full set of irons at a good price.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Golfbidder can be useful as they have a reasonable log of what was released when for when looking at 2nd hand kit. Plus they sell stuff, although most will say you will usually pay more than the auction site.