Irish golf holiday

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Planning a trip to Ireland 1st week of september with my wife.
Both high handicap golfers and I love links courses but courses with massive carrys ets probably a bit ambitious. Basic plan was to go to one part of Ireland and rent a cottage for a week and play golf for maybe four days and possibly cycle /sightsee/ walk for three .
Apart from trips to Belfast and Dublin I dont know Ireland very well.
Was thinking of heading to the Dingle peninsula and playing down there as it looks very pleasant but are there any alternative suggestions for area/ courses / good green fee options.
Flights are possible to Cork and Dublin at reasonable cost I can also take a ferry to Larne and drive but the length of drive looks a bit much.

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
If you love links I'd be looking into staying up north coast, portrush, Portstewart area. Plenty of holiday let's and some of the best links courses you'll ever play in royal portrush Portstewart Castlerock and round to donegal for fantastic courses which I know there are some members on here. And you could sail into Larne and it's only 45 min drive. Good luck

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Head for Donegal. Great little cottages avail along with some excellent links courses. If you want a touch of luxury ie golf on your doorstep then Rossapenna looks great and does all inclusive (food, lodging and golf). It's on our to do list

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
I would suggest flying to Knock (also known as West of Ireland). From there you could stay in Sligo/Mayo and play County Sligo, Enniscrone, Strandhill and Carne; although Carne is quite a drive. There are some lovely restaurants around as well as beautiful walks in Yeats Country.

As Crawfy suggests Donegal is also worth a look.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks very much for all the suggestions so far Donegal/Antrim have been pencilled in for a boys trip later in the year so I would probably like to head further south, though Rosapenna does look very inviting.
Knock and Shannon have no direct flights from here (Glasgow). Not to keen on travelling for hours at a time.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would suggest flying to Knock (also known as West of Ireland). From there you could stay in Sligo/Mayo and play County Sligo, Enniscrone, Strandhill and Carne; although Carne is quite a drive. There are some lovely restaurants around as well as beautiful walks in Yeats Country.

As Crawfy suggests Donegal is also worth a look.

I'm glad Strandhill, Enniscrone, Sligo and Donegal have been recommended as I'm playing those four plus Lough Erne when I go over next month on a boys golf break.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm heading over the same week, we're playing Portstewart on the Monday getting on with members we know. Then 4 days in Donegal, we've got the North West Links pass for €149 playing Donegal GC, Narin & Portnoo and Rosses Point at Sligo , 4 cracking courses.

NimbleNeil

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have roots in county Cork, if you head down to Bantry Bay there are two fine courses (Glengarriff golf club and Bantry bay golf club), both with stunning views over the bay. and Cork City is only a short drive away and that has Fota island resort and numerous other courses, Old head links at downmacpatrick is particularly interesting. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6093942,-8.5361415,1145m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en.