Return to Golf

Marcg868

Visit site
Hi been a lurker and infrequent poster since 2019. Been wanting to take up Golf again but due to a injury in 2018, surgery end of 2019 and last years Covid lockdowns I only managed to get to the range a few times.
I used to play regularly as a Junior, my teen and early twenties till I moved from my hometown (Bolton) and perused other hobbies. But now I live fairly local to Rishton, Accrington and Great Harwood golf courses.
I’m gonna hit the range regularly from next week and hope to get on the course sometime next month.
But the thing that’s putting me off is I’ll be solo as I don’t drive and all the people I used to play with have moved away, died or give up. I’m happy to play solo but is it worth getting a membership in the future?
Sorry for the long post.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Virtually everybody starts as single golfer unless persuaded to join by mates or joining with mates. If it is a good club you should normally find it easy to get a game particularly under Covid Rules as everyone should be booking in.

Where I play in each 4 ball booking if only 2 or 3 have booked you may book in that time slot. 2 balls and 3 balls are not allowed to hog a slot to themselves.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Get joined up and stuck in. I was a solo at one of the clubs I was at a couple of years ago, soon had a few familiar faces to play with who introduced me to the wider groups and fiddles etc.

Quite a lot of people fall under that bracket and they soon fit right in.

Get on the course and off those mats, I went through a period of over training at a local range and fractured my hamate as a result of pounding a firm mat hundreds of times each evening.

Much better to get out on the course and keep the range in moderation.

Enjoy!

Mandofred

Visit site
After the 17th a lot of clubs should be starting up rollups again. Check with the local clubs to see if they will be doing so. Rollups are the easiest way to join in with a group without feeling too uncomfortable (I find it a lot easier).