Irish Craic Classic 2014 Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After 3 years of organising this and doing a great job, Brendy has been grounded by his missus and has passed on the organising :rolleyes:

So I've been handed the reigns and for a laugh have asked palindromic-bob to help :rofl:

So the question is who fancies another weekend of golf and craic somewhere on the island and where and when would you like it?

We have went to Ballyliffin for 3 years and I have no qualms about it being there again if that's what everyone wants as they do us a great deal and the courses are first class.

But I think it would be good to head somewhere different this year and also somewhere more accessible to more people. So for a couple of weeks I'm gonna leave this open and get peoples thoughts and ideas and anyone with any contacts who can help us get a great deal somewhere decent please feel free to ask them.

So suggestions of where and when please and we will try to go with the majority and get something booked and confirmed before the end of January which would also give any guys from over the water who fancy a trip over plenty of time to get travel over sorted.

As Bob is involved it may just end up as a magic mystery tour so really not an event to miss as absolutely anything can happen when he is around.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know I bailed last year, but if I'm back from university in time I'd be well up for it this year, wherever! Name any course in the country bar Newtonstewart and I'll play it!

I won't know until after January though for when I'm finished exams and such.

As for Bob, he's well capable of finding his way. Although it is lucky that he lives around the corner (literally around the corner!) from the Omagh course. And he finds himself almost every time, I'm sure!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
What are the criteria for this expedition?

Approximate cost for golf and accommodation?
Are you wanting to travel a short distance between courses?
Do you want a links course?

Royal County Down
Portmarnock or St Annes/Royal Dublin
The European
Portrush

These might be a bit on the pricey side though?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
We're looking for peoples actual requests, we are well aware of what courses are here!! haha. :)
Stevie and Bob (could be a real experience!!) are looking after it but this will be the 4th year doing it.

Yourgolftravel (tell em Big D sent you) have quite a lot of decent deals covering the K club, Druids, Carton House etc covering 1 night 2 rnds for the 90-140 quid mark.

I think the courses around Dublin would be a great shout this year. Portmarnock etc maybe even a trip down to Druids Glen but keeping commute distance between hotel/courses to a minimum. Ballyliffin had us spoiled with this regard as the hotel, pubs and courses were all within a couple of miles, travel to the hotel was a pain if you are not from Donegal but once you are there, you can pretty much park the car up for the weekend.

What are the criteria for this expedition?

Approximate cost for golf and accommodation?
Are you wanting to travel a short distance between courses?
Do you want a links course?

Royal County Down
Portmarnock or St Annes/Royal Dublin
The European
Portrush

These might be a bit on the pricey side though?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Is this open to the rowdy bunch across the Irish Sea ? :D

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, though you might get your eyes opened! Guinness is drank like water over here, none of your bitter muck. ;)

My mothers family all from Belfast and Bangor and my OH family are from Tullamore Offaly so I'm over there quite a lot :D enjoy the Guinness.

Will certainly be interested in this :thup:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We're looking for peoples actual requests, we are well aware of what courses are here!! haha. :)
Stevie and Bob (could be a real experience!!) are looking after it but this will be the 4th year doing it.

Yourgolftravel (tell em Big D sent you) have quite a lot of decent deals covering the K club, Druids, Carton House etc covering 1 night 2 rnds for the 90-140 quid mark.

I think the courses around Dublin would be a great shout this year. Portmarnock etc maybe even a trip down to Druids Glen but keeping commute distance between hotel/courses to a minimum. Ballyliffin had us spoiled with this regard as the hotel, pubs and courses were all within a couple of miles, travel to the hotel was a pain if you are not from Donegal but once you are there, you can pretty much park the car up for the weekend.

Tell them Big D sent you.....lol

Aye I've been looking at yourgolftravel and they do indeed have some decent deals and they may prove a better option than trying to book it all ourselves unless of course the masses are happy to go back to Ballyliffin.....

Rosapena is a great set up as well although not much nightlife around and it's as much of of logistical nightmare for most

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rosapenna would be a nightmare too far from pretty much everything. That and quite a few of the holes are kinda mickey mouse and it would rule me out. Ballyliffin is pretty much ideal as yo know what you are getting and price wise is hard to beat but I do think spreading our collective wings a touch would be a great idea.

Ideally we would need somewhere with two courses and not too far from nightlife/decent boozers. Might be an idea to head to the east coast for a change.....

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last edited:

Captainron

Visit site

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let me just rephrase that....

two links courses and not too far from nightlife/decent boozers :smirk: ;)

http://www.yourgolftravel.com/enqui...759902fd1/travel_date?arrival_date=2014-06-06

That doesn't seem too bad :whistle:

Jesus, your about as fussy as a woman.

Anyway, I seen the Portmarnock deal as well but it's 2 rounds on the same course so I have emailed them as I know if you are staying in the hotel you can get discounted green fees for The Island so will wait and see what they come back with. Plus remember that's not the Portmarnock championship course although it is still a highly regarded track.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would be handy if we knew someone who was a member at somewhere like, oh I don't know, maybe, Seapoint? :D and tie that in with somewhere else perhaps?

Captainron

Visit site
You can get 2 rounds, bed and Breakfast at Old Head of Kinsale for a snip - £369? Seeing as a round there on its own used to be in te region of £200 it seems a fair old bargain to me. Pity there is rock al in the way of pubs there

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can get 2 rounds, bed and Breakfast at Old Head of Kinsale for a snip - £369? Seeing as a round there on its own used to be in te region of £200 it seems a fair old bargain to me. Pity there is rock al in the way of pubs there

Ooft! Too rich for my blood with me being a poor student ;) Although it is somewhere I would love to play.

I do think east coast around Dublin might entice a few more folk to travel hopefully.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would be handy if we knew someone who was a member at somewhere like, oh I don't know, maybe, Seapoint? :D and tie that in with somewhere else perhaps?

Way ahead of you on that one mate, already emailed the man in question and asked his thoughts and advice on it :thup:

Seapoint and Baltray would be a decent weekends golf and throw in somewhere else on the way down on the Friday and we could be onto a winner

D

Deleted member 17920

Some great deals Dublin way, Carlton house, Druids glen and Mount Juliet. Just incredible value.

Really tempted for the Easter weekend looking at those prices.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Way ahead of you on that one mate, already emailed the man in question and asked his thoughts and advice on it :thup:

Seapoint and Baltray would be a decent weekends golf and throw in somewhere else on the way down on the Friday and we could be onto a winner

I might know a man about a dog in Baltray although he knows the same chap as well.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you went for a venue close to one of the ferry ports I'm sure you might get a bit of interest from this side of the water. Being able to come over as a foot passenger with just clubs and holdall would help keep the cost right down :thup:

Status
Not open for further replies.