IPTV

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anybody other than Tashy have this please?

How good is it, what are the drawbacks, what is the picture quality and most important can you bin Sky completely?

Thanks for any help

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Drawbacks are probably the shaky legal position you are putting yourself in (before anyone jumps in with its not illegal to stream) as its largely untested in courts.
You are, however, undeniably funding a criminal organisation. So a moral dilemma perhaps. Think of it like bootleg booze or ciggies. Saves you money but you know damn well its dodgy.

Whilst streaming is [legally] ok, the second you download or record any of the content you have crossed the line of legality. Copyright has now been breached.

Not many people have been tried and/or convicted of Internet TV crimes but I would hazard a guess that the more money the IP rights owner lose out of this, the more pursuits we will see.

Overall its a judgement call on your behalf around the morality of it. Some people will claim its like speeding in your car and the "we all do it" line. Whilst I acknowledge I fracture the occasional speed limit, I do so safe in the knowledge that I am not funding a criminal organisation in doing so. God/Allah/Buddah/Zeus only knows where that money is then going and what it is funding.

D

Deleted member 15344

Things like IPTV are the latest pinch point for the media broadcasters. If you are watching content that is only broadcast in this country via Sky or BT or Virgin etc then it’s going to be down via illegal means. Currently they are closing down the sources and they are the ones being chased for prosecution, so I would be wary paying for something that could easily be closed within the day. Obviously morally it’s pretty much stealing - you are getting content from a source that is not legal

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Free - rubbish

Paid - the picture quality isn't far off what you get with usual TV.

The issue you have with IPTV is that nothing is guaranteed. You will almost certainly need a VPN as the large broadcasters have blocks in place during EPL football which means you'll struggle to watch anything. Even with a VPN you may have to muck around with which broadcaster you watch (US streams tend to be the best) or with where the VPN is set to.

You have to accept though, there will be frustrating moments with it where nothing you do seems to help and whilst these places do offer support ultimately there isn't much you can do a lot of the time.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Technically speaking it's not mine 😉👍. Without going off topic, yes you can get sky BT etc. But there is also Oman Sky,Thailand BBC etc which streams games at 3.00 pm on a Saturday. Now wasn't there a court case where some Pubs where showing games live at 3.00 pm and it kicked off. They said Sky were charging extortionate amounts and claimed free EU laws etc. But I still think Sky won.

D

Deleted member 16999

A friend ;) has it and it’s great, only £60.00 for a year and have it for the sport they can’t get on Sky.

There are times it takes a bit of channel hopping to find a decent stream, but 95% of the time, great picture and no issues.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would it not be better to subscribe to a normal VPN service (thereby being completely above board) and then streaming from none fee paying 'resources'? Would also mean you (one) weren't tied into a particular organisation that could could be shut down at any moment.
Just curious, sadly I have very little successful expertise to bring to bear on this matter.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have it and pay just £30 per year and can have it on in two different rooms watching two different things - it disappeared for about a week last year before they rebuilt their servers/domains etc. If it disappears then so be it. Stream quality varies but always better than an analogue signal and more often than not, very good. The FHD channels struggle for me but that will depend on your broadband speed and set up, not to mention the servers they're being streamed from. 2000+ VOD movies and box sets etc and perfect when the PPV boxing etc is on. No VPN required at all for any 3pms on the one i have. Like R2R said, if you do get one, don't expect it to be reliable 100% of the time, likewise the channel guides might tell you one thing but its something else, although not often that happens.