iPhone steps in bag

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’m aiming for 10,000 steps a day in an attempt to get fitter / lose a couple of stone.
Will an iPhone pick up steps whilst in a carry bag?
It is the only way I count steps and I don’t want to purchase a Fitbit etc.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m aiming for 10,000 steps a day in an attempt to get fitter / lose a couple of stone.
Will an iPhone pick up steps whilst in a carry bag?
It is the only way I count steps and I don’t want to purchase a Fitbit etc.

Mine doesn’t tend to pick steps up, and my phone is kept in one of the outer pockets.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not just do a bit of maths?
Length of your course in yards divided by 0.85 = number of paces. Add about 5% for greens to tees and a wee bit more if you don't hit the ball straight.
And if you can't do that in your head, I'm sure there is a calculator app on your phone! :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely you can check as you go anyway? Get the clubs out of your car, check how many steps it says on your phone and chuck it in the bag. When you've walked to the first tee, get the phone back out and see how many steps it's gone up by to see if it's counting or not? If not shove it in your pocket instead.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A short compact course i.e about a 6,000yarder with smallish green to tee walks, and you'll likely get around 8,000-9,000 steps done playing 18 holes (unless you do a lot of zigzagging!)
I clock up about 16,000 steps for 18 holes but its about 12,000 yards to play/walk

Yorkhacker

Visit site
What about getting a walking/gps app on your phone. That will tell you how far you've walked, and if you know the size of your steps, you can easily work out how many steps you've taken.

batchworth

Visit site
I have the Pacer app on my smart phone. It goes in my bag as I carry and it registers my steps everytime I play golf. The wife uses a trolley and her phone doesn't register the steps when put in the trolley, so she often ask me to carry her phone in my bag, so she can register her steps !!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A short compact course i.e about a 6,000yarder with smallish green to tee walks, and you'll likely get around 8,000-9,000 steps done playing 18 holes (unless you do a lot of zigzagging!)
I clock up about 16,000 steps for 18 holes but its about 12,000 yards to play/walk
My course is only about 5500 yards but I typically do 13000 steps.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My course is only about 5500 yards but I typically do 13000 steps.

Oops, I was talking about all 18 holes, what's your back nine like for distance :LOL: Or maybe you have a 'power fade' or the occasional 4-putt :giggle:

I was really just guesstimating based on the distance - steps I do (y)

sjw

Visit site
How, pray tell, would you expect it to count steps?

Does it say you've done a few million steps after a long drive in the car?

sunshine

Visit site
To answer the OP yes my iPhone counts steps when I carry, but it’s not accurate if you leave your phone in your bag.
Yesterday I played with my work phone in my pocket and my personal phone in my carry bag. From 4pm-5pm I did 2737 steps according to the phone in my pocket but only 1901 with my bag. It won’t record the steps when I’m walking around the green or when I leave the bag and walk back to the tee etc, I was surprised how much difference it makes.

sunshine

Visit site
How, pray tell, would you expect it to count steps?

Does it say you've done a few million steps after a long drive in the car?

Are you American? Maybe you didn’t understand the question, because in Britain most people use their legs and walk around the golf course.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Personally I’d get a fit bit or something similar.
Basic models aren’t very expensive.
Much more accurate than your iPhone imo.

sjw

Visit site
Are you American? Maybe you didn’t understand the question, because in Britain most people use their legs and walk around the golf course.

Not sure what you're on about. The phone is designed to count steps when it's on your person. It's not going to reliably count in a bag. That was my point.