Interior layout ideas for odd shaped living room

V

vkurup

Now that we have been a few months in the new house, am trying to start getting it into a slightly better shape. So starting with the living room. The challenge is that the room is fairly long & narrow (6.5m x 3.5m). It has a fireplace and has multiple doors and windows on everyside which makes placement of the furniture and TV difficult.

The ask... The room will be a sitting room and will have a wood burning stove and the TV. It will also have some shevleing for regular nick-nack. The rest is up for a refresh.. The sofa/couch have seen better days. As part of the the building works, we can block the single window and the double doors that lead to dining room - though i prefer not to. I was considering putting the TV on top of the fireplace, but the shape of the room wont allow it. The things that cant move are the patio doors, main door and front windows

layout.jpg
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg

All ideas welcome.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Partition wall jus t past the fire olace (or take it out if you are putting new wood burner out), split into 2 rooms

Our neighbours have one long room and you don't make full benefit of it.
The people in our house before us put a partition wall in, put the Tele up on that wall and turned the second room into a games room /study

V

vkurup

Partition wall jus t past the fire olace (or take it out if you are putting new wood burner out), split into 2 rooms

Our neighbours have one long room and you don't make full benefit of it.
The people in our house before us put a partition wall in, put the Tele up on that wall and turned the second room into a games room /study

We thought of partioning it... the issue is that we end up with a small 'sitting room' in the front. The room at the back can then be combined with the dinning room - which then becomes a long room. But it is defintly an option.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Can you block up the "main" door, put the corner sofa in that corner and entrance through the dining room instead.

would give better angle to the TV , Corner to corner

definitely keep it open, partitions would make it small and claustrophobic

V

vkurup

Can you block up the "main" door, put the corner sofa in that corner and entrance through the dining room instead.

would give better angle to the TV , Corner to corner

definitely keep it open, partitions would make it small and claustrophobic

We could block the main door, but not very keen on it as it would mean getting to the living room from the dinning room!!. We could put it in the corner that is currently next to the double doors to the dining. We could close the opening the dining room. (this however means that the room will have 2 focus areas on opposite sides

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
firstly get rid of the fire place,overpowering and draws the eye to wrong part of the room,get rid of the oversized furniture,the room cant take such a large corner unit,block up the door way giving a longer wall to put furniture,fit tv on the wall thus freeing up floor area,lose the 80's lights and fit flush fitting down lights with some mood lighting i.e lamps,use the same colours for all down stairs this includes floor coverings this will help with the overall flow and feel of the area,and next time try and take photos that dont include kids,mess all over the floors:)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our soon to be new house has a very similarly shaped living room but the door is central and we don't have the side window to contend with.
For us we'll be putting the tv to the left of the fireplace with the sofa fitting nicely where your main door is.
Can you not out a 2 seater between the main and dining room doors which would then allow you to put the tv above the fireplace? Maybe even have the L shaped sofa you have swung around so it cuts the room in 2 almost, then another 2 seater under the main window.
Dunno, without blocking the dining room door and single window your kinda knacked.

Btw, your kid must have great eyes to see the tv from right over there :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
t3dbbcg.gif

..... and add some colour :thup:

oohhh... don't know if this picture will work but this is my sofa.... (shame it's not my room) but it almost looks like the one you could have as I weirdly drew above a few minutes ago :confused: ... if you lose the fireplace.

perez_hero

perez_viewroomset

Last edited:
V

vkurup

t3dbbcg.gif

..... and add some colour :thup:

I like this one.. and was thinking on similar lines... The only challenge is that we like the fireplace (Mrs is thinking resale value!!)
Question for those in the building trade... Can you relocate a fireplace?

oohhh... don't know if this picture will work but this is my sofa.... (shame it's not my room) but it almost looks like the one you could have as I weirdly drew above a few minutes ago :confused: ... if you lose the fireplace.

perez_hero

perez_viewroomset

Thumbs up for that sofa....

V

vkurup

Can you move the chimney? probably not! (well you could but a huge waste of money!) buy an electric or gas fire and build a new 'fireplace' yes.

thats a thought... Apparently, (acc 2 Estate agents) a wood burning stove is all in rage now..

We do have a chimney.. i m wondering if it is easy to keep the chimney but have an exposed flue for a fireplace that feeds into that chimney ... just a thought

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You could remove the mantle and the hearth plate, block up the opening and just keep the brickwork (painted?) behind your new sofa.... as somewhere to rest a cup of tea (or the TV remotes) :D No big deal to retrofit the fireplace should you decide to move.

V

vkurup

You could remove the mantle and the hearth plate, block up the opening and just keep the brickwork (painted?) behind your new sofa.... as somewhere to rest a cup of tea (or the TV remotes) :D No big deal to retrofit the fireplace should you decide to move.

No, the ugly brickwork is exposed brick that sticks out about half a brick width from the wall.. So might end up taking it off and skimming it. BTW, like the idea of using the mantle as the remote/cup holder

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like this one.. and was thinking on similar lines... The only challenge is that we like the fireplace (Mrs is thinking resale value!!)
Question for those in the building trade... Can you relocate a fireplace?

Thumbs up for that sofa....

my GRANDAD had a sofa like that