Interesting Stats from Scottish Golf

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
had an email from Scottish golf last week with a few interesting stats, don't appear to be able to post the link so he's a few

Average Male handicap in Scotland 14.9
Average Female 24.6

Handicap percentages Male and Female
cat1 M 7% F 2%
cat2 M 29% F 6%
Cat 3 M 41% F 21%
Cat4 M 23% F 32%
cat 5 F 39%

Plus there were 3 guys who had played in excess off 100 comp rounds in the year top being 113.. thats some going.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
only 7% cat 1 wow nice stat for cat 1 players up there :)

wish I could play 113 singles comps, not sure I have 113 available through the year.

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
why would you think that? this is Scottish Golf, many clubs won't be hold qual comps over winter and the guy who had 113 club is in Perth

I would expect there would be some courses qualifying all year round. Also, I remember a young guy at our course was knocking out 6 qualifying rounds a week during the summer. So if we're talking the extremes I would have thought there would be more than 3 people playing 100 comp rounds in a whole country

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would expect there would be some courses qualifying all year round. Also, I remember a young guy at our course was knocking out 6 qualifying rounds a week during the summer. So if we're talking the extremes I would have thought there would be more than 3 people playing 100 comp rounds in a whole country

6 a week wow, most clubs i know run 3 maybe 4 comps a week at most, let alone 6, i suppose its possible if you were a member at 2 clubs or played a loads of opens at the weekend as well.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Didnt think it was possible to have that many comps, very impressive.

Thanks for the stats, would love to see how they change over time. Say for a set 1000 people if the % changes year to year much.

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
6 a week wow, most clubs i know run 3 maybe 4 comps a week at most, let alone 6, i suppose its possible if you were a member at 2 clubs or played a loads of opens at the weekend as well.

He was a junior but good enough to be eligible for the adult competitions so that covered off 4 comps a week. Add in a few opens too.

We would be lucky to be qualifying for 6 months a year so based on that 100+ is unrealistic but thinking if some links courses went all year long then 100+ would be more common.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
He was a junior but good enough to be eligible for the adult competitions so that covered off 4 comps a week. Add in a few opens too.

We would be lucky to be qualifying for 6 months a year so based on that 100+ is unrealistic but thinking if some links courses went all year long then 100+ would be more common.

none of the clubs up here run qual over winter anymore and when they did it was just one a month anyway. When i first started playing up here i was getting 3 club comps a week and an open some weekends, but the best i did was 64 qual comps... so well behind these guys. only had 30 this year

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Wow, only 7% cat 1 and 41% cat 3, that really is an eye opener. Without trying to be disrespectful to anyone, I just wouldn't play the game if I was a cat 3 player.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wow, only 7% cat 1 and 41% cat 3, that really is an eye opener. Without trying to be disrespectful to anyone, I just wouldn't play the game if I was a cat 3 player.

There is something familiar about you - have a feeling you have been here before ?

As for the average HC it’s been around 16-18 for decades - I’m guessing you are a scratch player ?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope and nope :thup:

Never been on this forum til I joined a few weeks back and only wish I was scratch :swing:

Don't worry, if you practice hard and stick in you'll get to Cat 3 one day, just enjoy your golf in the meantime...

D

Deleted member 16999

Nope and nope :thup:

Never been on this forum til I joined a few weeks back and only wish I was scratch :swing:
Seeing as you’ve only just returned after a 15yr gap using 20yr old irons, I’d guess you don’t have an official handicap yet.

Weird you commenting about other aspects of peoples golf but won’t say what you’re off.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Seeing as you’ve only just returned after a 15yr gap using 20yr old irons, I’d guess you don’t have an official handicap yet.

Weird you commenting about other aspects of peoples golf but won’t say what you’re off.

What's weird ? Where did I say I don't have a handicap ? Where did I say I won't say what I play off ? Why shouldn't I comment about other aspects of people's golf ?

jeezo fella you've made some assumptions there

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

What's weird ? Where did I say I don't have a handicap ? Where did I say I won't say what I play off ? Why shouldn't I comment about other aspects of people's balls ?

jeezo fella you've made some assumptions there
More deflection, I reckon Phil could be right :thup:

I didn’t say you said you don’t have a handicap, I said I don’t think you’ve got an official one.

You could’ve just answered Phil with your handicap.

I said golf not balls,

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Phil's wrong.
You're wrong about my handicap
I noticed I said balls and edited it back out.

All that aside, you still made a few assumptions, in regards what Phil said, nae idea what or who he's on about but if he or indeed you are mixing me up with A.N. Other opinionated current or former member from here, then it's purely coincidental.