Interesting Stats from Scottish Golf

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe I'm missing the point but I think I get where cabby is coming from.

For donkeys and donkeys year I rarely shot above 80 gross, and by the end of just about every season I would be up near the top of the club's order of merit. I would be on the podium at least every month, and would usually cover my fees in sweep money by the end of a season.

This last 3.5 years has been torture. Short version, I'm lucky to break 80 gross. From hitting at least 2 birdies a round I'm lucky to hit 2 birdies a month. In effect, I've gone from over 100 birdies a year to less than 20.

Shooting 15 over, off 7, is not fun. A few times a month I question whether or not to jack it in. Sometimes I look at the long range forecast and think I'll give next weekend a miss. Its only a great course and the craic with the guys that keeps me out there.

So, I guess, yes there is a number that some of us just don't want to play to. Growing old gracefully is fine but having your game fall off a cliff is grindingly painful.
I get that Bri, but knowing some of what you’ve gone through it’s other factors that have impacted on your game, ie health.

If someone keeps their health and are enjoying the craic then the reason for jacking it in may differ, simply picking a number as the reason to quit I found odd.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It wouldn't be overnight though would it, so saying if I got to 12.4 then had a stinker I would quit isnt quite how it would happen. There would be a steady decline probably over at least a year possibly two and one would know that the time is coming. You really are reading far too much in to what I said on the face of it rather than actually grasp the practical side of what I said, it's not odd at all.

D

Deleted member 16999

It wouldn't be overnight though would it, so saying if I got to 12.4 then had a stinker I would quit isnt quite how it would happen. There would be a steady decline probably over at least a year possibly two and one would know that the time is coming. You really are reading far too much in to what I said on the face of it rather than actually grasp the practical side of what I said, it's not odd at all.
I’ve no issue with what you said after we discussed it, initially without explanation and you expanding on it, a particular number to me was odd.
I was replying to hobbit, you said it came across not as you meant it, it’s possibly yourself whose reading too much into my reply to him.
We’ll all get to a point were we realise that the time is coming, but it could be of 3, 13, 23 etc or not related to a number at all.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive went from single figures to the highest my handicap has been in nearly 15 years its no fun at times ,yes i thought this year I've had it I'm jacking it in but thats the easy way out isn't it. Ive a spinal problem which restricts my ability to turn fully so that doesn't help but by seeing a TPI instructor again and getting lessons over the past 4 weeks I've seen a big difference in my game getting back to where i was when i was single figures.

You get out of it what you put in thats my thoughts on so much I'm looking forward to the season starting already yes there will be cold nights at the range and a few ups and downs and a few hours a week in the gym but hopefully its worth it or bowls it is

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of the issues with getting on and getting worse is distance.

My dad is 79, most of his mates are about the same. They all still play a lot and are getting worse every year. But they still play off the yellows despite the fact that they can rarely get to a green without at least a long wood, if at all. They all chunter about it. You won't be surprised that they won't go near the red tees despite the fact that they would enjoy the game more...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Other info was most improved handicaps.

Male 16.6
Female 17.8

which i am surprised by i thought there would some in the 20's at least.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Other info was most improved handicaps.

Male 16.6
Female 17.8

which i am surprised by i thought there would some in the 20's at least.

I'd doubt there'd be too many that could drop 20+ shots in a single season (might suggest something amiss with the handicap at season start)

D

Deleted member 21258

Seems to support the idea that if you want all to play in comps and be competitive, then higher handicaps than currently allowed, especially for the ladies variety of humans-

Really surprised by the Cat 4 % for males being 23%
Women Cat 4/5 is 62% (with 39% in cat 5)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd doubt there'd be too many that could drop 20+ shots in a single season (might suggest something amiss with the handicap at season start)

i imagine most of those named in the bulletin would have been juniors , with some junior handicaps being much higher i would think it was more than possible to drop this low.

I even managed 12 shots in 3 months when i started and i didn't have a clue what i was doing

D

Deleted member 21258

Would you have expected it to be higher? I think I would have.

TBH I thought it would be lower for men who are club members(was thinking 17-20% range) but suppose the 21-24 range probably catchs quite a few people.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Here is the number breakdown from my club via HDID...

Cat1 - 54
Cat2 - 169
Cat3 - 190
Cat4 - 74

So not conforming to the Scottish national average in the cat1 area anyway.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Here is the number breakdown from my club via HDID...

Cat1 - 54
Cat2 - 169
Cat3 - 190
Cat4 - 74

So not conforming to the Scottish national average in the cat1 area anyway.

we are well above the average as well, but i also know of at least 2 clubs who only have a couple of cat1 players out of 300 members

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I suspect renowned clubs have a higher percentage of cat1s than say municipal. take my place for example, I bet per ratio we have a lot more cat1s than the council course across the road.