Interesting Stats from Scottish Golf

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I suspect renowned clubs have a higher percentage of cat1s than say municipal. take my place for example, I bet per ratio we have a lot more cat1s than the council course across the road.

we have well over 100 and 1/4 of those are scratch and better, but there will be a few that are members of more than one club IWI

Apparently Muirfield don't have many;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing the point but I think I get where cabby is coming from.

For donkeys and donkeys year I rarely shot above 80 gross, and by the end of just about every season I would be up near the top of the club's order of merit. I would be on the podium at least every month, and would usually cover my fees in sweep money by the end of a season.

This last 3.5 years has been torture. Short version, I'm lucky to break 80 gross. From hitting at least 2 birdies a round I'm lucky to hit 2 birdies a month. In effect, I've gone from over 100 birdies a year to less than 20.

Shooting 15 over, off 7, is not fun. A few times a month I question whether or not to jack it in. Sometimes I look at the long range forecast and think I'll give next weekend a miss. Its only a great course and the craic with the guys that keeps me out there.

So, I guess, yes there is a number that some of us just don't want to play to. Growing old gracefully is fine but having your game fall off a cliff is grindingly painful.

This begs the question - why are you still a 7 handicap?

Having been in roughly the same situation (6 for over 20 years) my handicap has been as high as 10 during the last year.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Bet I won't :whoo: it'll be carpet bowls for me then.

I don't know what age you are so I'll not make assumptions.....BUT.....me being 65 I've seen quite a lot of players over the years who would say "if I played like that I would give up". Well, some are playing like that and they still enjoy their game and some say they enjoy it more as any pressure, mentally or physically, has subsided over time.

I'm lucky to be able to afford more than one club and I know many players, some who were past club champions, who still go out for a round and still enjoy it even though they have lost that magic, distance and in some cases cat 1 and cat 2 status.

Bowls......nah.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know what age you are so I'll not make assumptions.....BUT.....me being 65 I've seen quite a lot of players over the years who would say "if I played like that I would give up". Well, some are playing like that and they still enjoy their game and some say they enjoy it more as any pressure, mentally or physically, has subsided over time.

I'm lucky to be able to afford more than one club and I know many players, some who were past club champions, who still go out for a round and still enjoy it even though they have lost that magic, distance and in some cases cat 1 and cat 2 status.

Bowls......nah.

A good approach I’d say. Having come to Golf late in life & have just missed getting to single figures by 0.3, before reaching 70 next month I intend to keep going & keep enjoying... still chasing that ‘magic’ single figures target😳⛳️🏌️

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Bowls......nah.

You like quite a few have totally missed my point, it's not a case if I played like that or this comparing to others, I don't compare myself to others. As someone said, when the fun stops, stop. If my game deteriorated to a degree where I was no longer enjoying it, I would stop, peoples standards are all different.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To defend Cabby here, not that he needs it, I think the initial quote was a little clumsy and he has been trying to explain ever since. The point I think, is that if you were once good at a sport and then you decline it can become frustrating to continue. To fail to be able to do shots that were previously second nature can take the fun away. It is the same in other sports. Some people go on to play vets, football, rugby, hockey etc. Others pack it in because the fun has gone. Losing a tackle to a player who 3 years ago was not good enough to tie your boots can rankle. Some can cope with that, others can't.

Sport is meant to be fun. If you go from scratch to 14 h/c due to old age, injury or poor form then I can certainly see how that would stop being enjoyable. Me, I'd love to decline to 14 :rofl:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
You like quite a few have totally missed my point, it's not a case if I played like that or this comparing to others, I don't compare myself to others. As someone said, when the fun stops, stop. If my game deteriorated to a degree where I was no longer enjoying it, I would stop, peoples standards are all different.

Got your point. Some of the guys I mention thought they would give up and now they are playing at a lower level they have changed their attitude and in some cases enjoying it more. No argument about not enjoying it or when the fun stops.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back to the original point. No scratch golfers at my place. Probably 10-15 single figure ones and the rest somewhere above. We did lose a lot of golfers last year, club went into and then out of administration, and we lost some of the better golfers in the period of confusion.

No single figure female golfers at all. The majority will be 20+

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
This begs the question - why are you still a 7 handicap?

Having been in roughly the same situation (6 for over 20 years) my handicap has been as high as 10 during the last year.

3.5 years ago I was @ 4.3, and playing very nicely. I had one cut last year, from 5.9 to 5.4. Fit in a few buffers and the rest have been 0.1 back. 32x 0.1 back + a few buffers and 1x cut of 0.5.

But its the nature of the majority of the 0.1's that make it so painful, e.g. until last year my worst stableford score in the memory banks was 26pts(mid 1980's). I've been below that several times in the last 18 months and twice in the low teens. At times struggling to break 100 and losing several balls a round, once upon a time I might lose a few balls a year! I can't remember the last time I retired a ball to the practice bag...:(

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
At my club it is jointly owned by the club pro and his business partner. The pro never plays any more all he does is teach. I think it's a bit sad he never plays which is because in his late 50's he can't reproduce the forum he did 15/20 years a go so would rather not play and instead gets his enjoyment from seeing the kids his teaches becoming good golfers.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
At my club it is jointly owned by the club pro and his business partner. The pro never plays any more all he does is teach. I think it's a bit sad he never plays which is because in his late 50's he can't reproduce the forum he did 15/20 years a go so would rather not play and instead gets his enjoyment from seeing the kids his teaches becoming good golfers.

great to know but what that got to do with stats from Scottish Golf??:rofl:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The average handicaps for men and women are lower than I would have expected.
I was always under the impression the average handicap for men is around 16 or 17 and ladies I would imagine closer to 27 or 28.
It would be interesting to see the stats for the UK as a whole. I was told that despite improvements in equipment average scores were going up incrementally each year with the average for all golfers in the US (including pro's ladies, juniors etc) at almost exactly 100 but that was from the Golf Channel some years ago.

Edit: Just googled it. GM article from May 9 2015 has the average handicap at 16-20. But does that include ladies in the equation?

The average golfer revealed. A Golf Care survey has revealed the golfing habits of the average golfer. According to a survey carried out by insurers Golf Care, the average golfer has a handicap between 16 and 20, has been golfing for 1-5 years and likes to play 4-ball format.9 May 2015

Last edited:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Mark Crossfields son said a stat yesterday in his ball video that since 1990 the average handicap has only reduced by 1 shot in that time. So in 27 years years where the driver is hitting the ball miles, we as handicap players are still not getting it in the hole any earlier than we were all that time ago.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
3.5 years ago I was @ 4.3, and playing very nicely. I had one cut last year, from 5.9 to 5.4. Fit in a few buffers and the rest have been 0.1 back. 32x 0.1 back + a few buffers and 1x cut of 0.5.

But its the nature of the majority of the 0.1's that make it so painful, e.g. until last year my worst stableford score in the memory banks was 26pts(mid 1980's). I've been below that several times in the last 18 months and twice in the low teens. At times struggling to break 100 and losing several balls a round, once upon a time I might lose a few balls a year! I can't remember the last time I retired a ball to the practice bag...:(

Makes sense now, the buffers and one cut will mean no increase under a review. Mine went up one under a review having had no buffers in a year. managed to get my game back on track this year after finally finding a set of glasses I could play the game with (greens reading had become my big problem).