Interesting Stats from Scottish Golf

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If certain people wouldn't play if they were a Cat 3 player, it sums up everything that is wrong in our game. If I was there (and I'm not a million miles off it) I'd simply be playing as many comps as I could and working as hard as I could to get better. The last thing I'd need is some know it all degrading me as I didn't meet his own lofty aspirations. In fact I'd be loving the chance to get drawn in a match play event and ram those words down his throat. We have loads of Cat 3 and Cat 4 players in our weekend roll ups and in drawn competition groups and as long as we have a decent round and enjoy it I don't care if they are scratch or 28

Know what you mean, but... we all know people who gave up a sport because they can't play to the level they used to (due to age, injury, whatever)

Declining from cat 1 to cat 3 might be one such scenario

Hope I wouldn't quit but you never know, if it stops being enjoyable then why carry on

When the fun stops, stop

Last edited:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I actually dont think there are tbh - i havent met anyone in that situation.

Certainly never met anyone who would give up just because they played off 13

Again, you're taking what I've said out of context. I never said folk would give up if they played off of 13, I said I would, as I never have.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Know what you mean, but... we all know people who gave up a sport because they can't play to the level they used to (due to age, injury, whatever)

Declining from cat 3 to cat 1 might be one such scenario

Hope I wouldn't quit but you never know, if it stops being enjoyable then why carry on

When the fun stops, stop

Jeezo, thanks, finally someone gets what I'm saying, but I think you meant cat 1 to cat 3

D

Deleted member 16999

Actually you're spot on. Apologies, I was looking a divisional results from the last comp! Better sell those clubs then as I clearly have no place on a golf course
You’re attitude is proof why his comment’s are daft.
So long as people enjoy the game, that is all that should matter.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Actually you're spot on. Apologies, I was looking a divisional results from the last comp! Better sell those clubs then as I clearly have no place on a golf course

Thought you'd been cut from your -6 for a sec then

I hope I'd stick with it as you have but not 100% sure I would

Used to play other sports at a good level (one at county level) and gave up because life got in the way, couldn't practice 3-4 times a week so the enjoyment wasn't there any more

Never say never

D

Deleted member 16999

Agreed, my brother gave the game up cause he could no longer play to single figures, he was no longer enjoying it, so why would he.
But that’s connecting enjoyment to a number, you could be playing with a great bunch of guys, enjoying it while playing off 12.4, you’re saying if your next round resulted in a 0.1 you’d hang your clubs up!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But that’s connecting enjoyment to a number, you could be playing with a great bunch of guys, enjoying it while playing off 12.4, you’re saying if your next round resulted in a 0.1 you’d hang your clubs up!

I had a game at the Fairmont in St Andrews about 4 years ago, mate got me on free (no sure how much it costs a round but its a ton plus)I thought, golf, ye I can play that game, I've got clubs, I wasnae too bad, I lost 7 balls, litterly couldn't hit a ball, it was horrible, ugly and embarrassing, it was no fun whatsoever but I was playing with great guys. I never looked at my clubs again til early September this year and took a notion. Got a game at my local club and knocked it round in 83, had I lost 7 balls again, for dust you wouldn't have seen me.

Hope that kinda explains things a bit better than thinking I'm some kinda pretentious arse who wouldn't peg it up with anyone who could knock it round in anything over 79, cause that's not me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

I had a game at the Fairmont in St Andrews about 4 years ago, mate got me on free (no sure how much it costs a round but its a ton plus)I thought, golf, ye I can play that game, I've got clubs, I wasnae too bad, I lost 7 balls, litterly couldn't hit a ball, it was horrible, ugly and embarrassing, it was no fun whatsoever but I was playing with great guys. I never looked at my clubs again til early September this year and took a notion. Got a game at my local club and knocked it round in 83, had I lost 7 balls again, for dust you wouldn't have seen me.

Hope that kinda explains things a bit better than thinking I'm some kinda pretentious arse who wouldn't peg it up with anyone who could knock it round in anything over 79, cause that's not me.
I get the giving up any sport/pastime/hobby for any of many many reasons, you’re reason was attached to a particular number, that’s what I find difficult to grasp.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I get the giving up any sport/pastime/hobby for any of many many reasons, you’re reason was attached to a particular number, that’s what I find difficult to grasp.

That's a fair point and when said like that then yes I agree, maybe I should've said if I couldn't play to a particular standard, whatever that standard I so deem, does that sound more palatable ?

D

Deleted member 16999

That's a fair point and when said like that then yes I agree, maybe I should've said if I couldn't play to a particular standard, whatever that standard I so deem, does that sound more palatable ?

Certainly less pretentious ;)

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You're right, it does come over all very "who me, play to that level, I think not" but that's certainly not how I meant it. :whoo:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Maybe I'm missing the point but I think I get where cabby is coming from.

For donkeys and donkeys year I rarely shot above 80 gross, and by the end of just about every season I would be up near the top of the club's order of merit. I would be on the podium at least every month, and would usually cover my fees in sweep money by the end of a season.

This last 3.5 years has been torture. Short version, I'm lucky to break 80 gross. From hitting at least 2 birdies a round I'm lucky to hit 2 birdies a month. In effect, I've gone from over 100 birdies a year to less than 20.

Shooting 15 over, off 7, is not fun. A few times a month I question whether or not to jack it in. Sometimes I look at the long range forecast and think I'll give next weekend a miss. Its only a great course and the craic with the guys that keeps me out there.

So, I guess, yes there is a number that some of us just don't want to play to. Growing old gracefully is fine but having your game fall off a cliff is grindingly painful.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I actually dont think there are tbh - i havent met anyone in that situation.

Certainly never met anyone who would give up just because they played off 13

I would if it was me, no fun out there shooting high numbers all the time.

Some folk would enjoy it but not me and I guess a few more would pack up as well