Inter-services Match

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Jedsta20 & Matt01, welcome along. I'll put you both down for the Army team, (I think that's 8 of you so far).
Jedsta, I'm sure we could arrange for you to car share if necessary. We're still not decided on a location.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Blackmoor Hampshire.Well worth contacting to see what sort of deal they can do,bearing in mind the army,Bordon conection,and the charity involved.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clive, welcome to the Forum mate.....you got my cash for that driver yet?? :D
Which team are you claiming allegiance to? I don't think we have one for the Chelsea pensioners!! :D:D

BTW if you're not the Clive H I think you are then please accept my profuse apologies!! :eek:

Matt, what's your mates name?

Piggles

Visit site
Rick got another ex pongo mate at Caddington interested name of Mick Barrett.
Also spoke to the committee ref the day and they would support it. Talking to the owners ref possibility of green fee waivers just in case you can't get anywhere else.
4 ball voucher is donated.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Homer....narrowing it down gradually...it's taken a bit longer than I originally thought (I forgot I had to do everyones appraisals at work this week!!!!).

I'm going to go for a slightly more central venue as we have a lot of people travelling down from the North and I think the Aldershot course is slightly too far South.

I'm making enquiries at courses in Hertfordshire and slightly north of that to make the organising easier for me as I anticipate having to visit the club a few times in the run up.
Currently looking at a day between Tuesday April 20 - Friday April 23rd.
Stay tuned.

Matt, I've included Fergus. Clive, you and Mick are in, and Timberbonce, welcome on board.... good to have a Plumber joining us!! :D :D

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watch out at the end of April we are playing Spen on the 23rd and Stuart Castle on the 24.
any other dates are OK.
Well spotted Grumpyjock.....it should read the week before... one day between Tue 13th April - Fri 16th Apr...I even checked the GM meeting calendar as well and still managed to get it wrong....doh!! :eek:

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
We now have a venue - Luton Hoo in Bedfordshire.

It has strong military historical links having been used as a Military Convalescent home for officers in WWI.
It was the Eastern Command HQ in the Second World War and was commandeered by Winston Churchill for military training manoevres to test the tanks which were built at nearby Vauxhall Motors.

Luton has also granted the Freedom of the City to the Royal Anglian Regiment (The Poachers), who recently excercised their right to march through the City following 2 tours in Iraq.

The course and grounds have recently undergone an expensive multi million pound refurbishment. Some of the course is set in 250 acres of Capability Brown lanscaped grounds.
The course itself has USGA spec greens and is a massive 7,107 yd par 73 of the Championship tees and 6,810 off the whites. Yellows are 6,544 and reds 6,143. There are no bunkers as it's National Trust land, but the heavy rough protects the course.

I will be setting up 2 seperate polls to see what date most people would prefer to play ( between Apr 13th -16th) and also to see which tees they would prefer to play off!!

Price is going to be set £45 and I am still negotiating with the team at Luton Hoo how much of this is going to be donated to the Help for Heroes charity. At the moment I have got it down to £15 for the golf and £10 for a 1 course meal (the food there is s a bit pricey but of a very high standard). This means at present assuming 32 players we will be able to donate £640. I am still hoping to get the green fees for free which will allow a greater donation, but as mentioned, I'm still negotiating.
I have left arrival bacon rolls off to keep the price down, but if anyone wants one they can order on the day.

Clearly we will raise a lot of money when we create the giving website and people can start advertising the link to it. I will be doing this early next week after we have finalised the date over the weekend.

Further details to come regarding tee times, auction, raffle etc, etc, but I just wanted to get the venue out there with possible dates so that people can start to firm up their commitment.

Updated names:

RAF
bobmac
rickg
Robobum
richart
evita4
(piggles) CliveH
Timberbonce

ARMY
jammydodger
Smiffy
midnight
jay (Barbs hubby)
golfmmad
MarkHK
jedsta20
matt01
Fergus Scobie (Matt01's mate)
Mick Barrett
Range_ball

NAVY
Wildrover
colint
grumpyjock
Viscount17

Police, Fire, Coastguard, Cubs, Girl Guides, cadets....
Homer (Health service)
AuburnWarrior (CCF)
Doc17 (Deanelliott999) (Fire)
TonyN (Police)
GB72 (Public Sector)
Redwood (Sea Cadets)

Forum Posters/Staff
teegirl
barb
bigfoot
tincup
vig

Date: 1 day TBD between 13-16th April
Venue: Luton Hoo
Charity: Help for Heroes
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I hate to say it but I'm a bit knackered with those dates too.
I only get a day off every other week at work and I'm already pushing it with the Addington meet on March 30th and Walton Heath on 7th April. Certainly wouldn't be able to get a day off three weeks in succession.
Bit of a bummer because the course and price look fantastic...