inter club match ruling please

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi folks just wondering if someone could shed any light on this for me please

Inter club semi finals , foresomes , our club had a home draw , 3 matches at home , 2 matches away

Matches were abandoned due to heavy rain and courses unplayable

we were up in 4 matches and level in 1 .. the first match at both venues had played thru 8 holes ..

What is the story with the rematch does anyone know ?

Do matches resume from where they finished ?

or start from the beginning again ?

What if the same partnerships are not available ..?

it would seem the GUI dont wana know , its play it by the deadline or ye are both out .. is there any ruling on this scenario?

Thanks in advance

Bill

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
tricky, and t's not possible to be definitive because much is dependent on the rules of the competition - which may not even have the situations covered!

firstly, and critically, how did the matches come to be 'abandoned'; it seems really strange that games on different courses became unplayable. Who decided that the courses were unplayable (usually this is a function of standing water around the hole and is a course call). Clearly lightening is a completely different situation!

abandoned and suspended aren't the same thing

6-8. Discontinuance of Play; Resumption of Play
a. When Permitted

The player must not discontinue play unless:

(i) the Committee has suspended play;

(ii) he believes there is danger from lightning;

(iii) he is seeking a decision from the Committee on a doubtful or disputed point (see Rules 2-5 and 34-3); or

(iv) there is some other good reason such as sudden illness.

Bad weather is not of itself a good reason for discontinuing play.

If suspended then a match resumes with it's current state at the same place.

If abandoned then what does the competition rules say?

If people just gave up then they are all disqualified :)

If the committee suspended play then it should restart it.....

You see the problem in answering the question at this point!

Reminds me of the old Irish joke.....".How do I get to X?" "Well if I was you I wouldn't start from here!" :)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Duncan i can see the problems , Ireland, well Leinster got deluged in rain yesterday the match was postponed as the greens were flooding then as it was obvious it was not stopping it was abandoned completely..

i think that both the postponement & abandonment were agreed between respective team managers .. of course nobody knew what happens next ..
I will advise them to ask for a full list of rules for the competition and see if its covered ..

your reply as always is much appreciated and i am thankful to you for taking the time to reply

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Duncan says, it should be covered by the Conditions of Competition set by the organising authority.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Duncan says, it should be covered by the Conditions of Competition set by the organising authority.

If it's important enough to ask the GUI (ie it's not just a run of the mill friendly) there should be regulations

As an example, our inter club county trophy has the following guidelines for abandoned matches: (this is singles matchplay)
If, due to bad weather, it has not been possible to complete all individual matches on the day, the
following procedures will apply:
a)
The results of completed matches stand and the incomplete matches are declared null and void. The
Captains must agree on a day on which the outstanding matches can be replayed, with each team free to
alter the original team. No player who took part in a completed individual match may take part in any of the
matches to be replayed.
b)
If no individual matches have been completed, the match is declared null and void. It must be replayed
at the earliest opportunity, with each team free to alter its original team.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's important enough to ask the GUI (ie it's not just a run of the mill friendly) there should be regulations

As an example, our inter club county trophy has the following guidelines for abandoned matches: (this is singles matchplay)
If, due to bad weather, it has not been possible to complete all individual matches on the day, the
following procedures will apply:
a)
The results of completed matches stand and the incomplete matches are declared null and void. The
Captains must agree on a day on which the outstanding matches can be replayed, with each team free to
alter the original team. No player who took part in a completed individual match may take part in any of the
matches to be replayed.
b)
If no individual matches have been completed, the match is declared null and void. It must be replayed
at the earliest opportunity, with each team free to alter its original team.

No its a pretty big comp over here , important to both clubs :D

Many thanks for your reply

Thanks to rulefan also

Great bunch on here as always

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been busy googling an have read & re read GUI tournament conditions 2014 , general and the specific ones for the Barton Cup (Leinster) cant see any reference to this scenario been covered ... Surprising in Ireland no one thought of this eventuality :confused::)

Will leave it to the club powers that be to sort it with Leinster branch of GUI

Thanks again