Inter-services Match

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
There could be some interest in an Inter-Services match between any Forumers who are current or ex serving members of Her Majesty's finest!!
So far the following have been identified as potential participants:

RAF
bobmac
rickg
Robobum

ARMY
jammydodger

NAVY

Do we have any other forumers that are eligible and who might be interested?

Perhaps we could donate the green fees to a Forces charity if we can get a golf course interested in hosting the match?
Just some initial thoughts at the moment, any ideas/suggestions welcome.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer, I didn't know what CCF was so I googled it and found the following. Can you let me know which one it was? lol

Conservative Christian Fellowship
Cheetah Conservation Fund
Christian Children's Fund
Climate Challenge Fund
Combined Cadet Force
Cambodian Children's Fund
Cambridge Conservation Forum
California Community Foundation
Civil Contractors Federation
Coulsdon Chess Fellowship
Consumer Council of Fiji
Catholic Chaplaincy Fellowship
:D :D :D

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd definately be up for this especially if it all goes to Help For Heroes.
If we are unable to get this at a "free" of "prestigious" course then I am more than willing to try to host this at our course at Cirencester GC.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
This has the makings of a terrific idea , especially with the forces charity being very topical. Maybe even one of the forces golf courses would be happy to host this and even GM might get interested in doing a piece in the mag ?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't there an army course in Cyprus? :D

I know the Pro at Aldershot. I'll get in touch.

Woodhall Spa might be worth leaning on too, especially if we could get Mike or somebody from GM towers to eloquently pen a begging letter. I remember WS hosted a lot of RAF golf events over the years and one of the local bases used to use it for their "home" matches.

No need to make it exclusively services?? We could "affiliate" others to play as long as they can proove they have watched all the re-runs of Dad's Army. :)

Or were in the girl guides.......Homer, your in!! :D

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great response folks!!

Teegirl thanks for the links. The Help for Heroes fundraising site is very useful and I think would be the way to go if we go ahead with an event. It looks easy to register the event (when we confirm date/venue/numbers etc) and importantly we can set up a giving to charity webpage so people could donate directly to the charity via credit card. This would be good for anyone that wanted to donate but couldn't get involved in the golf day.

With regards to the golf day itself and looking at the interest it has already generated, we could look at potential teams from the following groups:

Services : RAF, Army, Navy, (Cadets?)
Public bodies: Fire, Police, Coastguard,etc
Forum: Posters (first come first served or names out of a hat??)
Forum: Staff (if they want to participate)

This would probably yield a field of around 32 (assuming teams of 4 from each category). Probably don't want to go bigger than this or it could become unmanageable and it will never get off the ground.

I'm thinking an after match meal with raffle/auction for participants would probably also be possible. I'm sure we could get some decent donations through our contacts, (custom fit Ping driver perhaps?? lol)

The other link Teegirl provided is for a National Golf Day to support the Help for Heroes campaign, in which it is hoped ALL golf clubs will participate. Check out the link:
http://www.nationalgolfclubchallenge.org.uk/

In it there is a list of all golf clubs that are so far participating. The easiest and quickest way to get more exposure for this is for anyone who's club is not yet on the list to email the link to their club (secretary, committee, etc) and ask them to participate. 10 golfers from the top 6 clubs from the day (24th or 25th July) get to play in a 2 day final at the Belfry!!

I know this is early days, but so far it sounds promising.

Keep the ideas & suggestions coming, and also put your names forward for each of the categories if you are interested in getting involved either as a player or organiser.

Rick