Intensive golf lessons

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd never really bother with short game stuff at the range.

The range is a great place for practicing distance control with your pitching.
For example, learn how to hit the ball 50 yards

SW, middle of the grip, 9 o'clock = 50 yards
60 yards = GW
70 yards = pw
80 yards = 9 iron
etc

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The range is a great place for practicing distance control with your pitching.
For example, learn how to hit the ball 50 yards

SW, middle of the grip, 9 o'clock = 50 yards
60 yards = GW
70 yards = pw
80 yards = 9 iron
etc

I'm fortunate enough to have a 9 hole par 3 course where I can do all that kind of work when the notion takes me.

I like to see how the ball is reacting when it hits the ground. The range has longer grass so any ball just stops fairly quickly.

Boomy

Visit site
I'm fortunate enough to have a 9 hole par 3 course where I can do all that kind of work when the notion takes me.

I like to see how the ball is reacting when it hits the ground. The range has longer grass so any ball just stops fairly quickly.

That sounds fab for practice, much better off the turf as well. That’s the only downside with practising short game at the range… hitting off mats. Still worth doing for distance control work though as Sir Bob points out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm with you, can't see the point of doing distance control at the range, with crap balls you have no idea if they go full distance or not, landing on long grass as you say so you don't know if they're rolling out or not. The only times I have worked on my sub-100 yard distances is on late summer evenings when the course is quiet and I can hit a few pitches from different distances.