Inspiration - Cousin With Pancreatic Cancer

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry if anyone is offended but really want to share.

My Cousin was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer 13 months ago and today I went to see her for the last time and say goodbye, unfortunately she went into renal failure on tuesday and has been given 3-7 days max.

She's 67 and was a Consultant Anaesthetist who looked after others for over 35 years. She's an only child, she lost her dad in 1964 and her mam 7 years ago. The only family she has is me and my cousin, who with his wife have moved in with her to look after her.

When she was diagnosed last year she was told only 1% of people with pancreatic cancer last 12 months.

She has fought the disease every inch of the way, even taking part in a new drug trial in the hope it will benefit people in the future, the cancer spread in to her lungs, liver, kidneys and even her spine were the tumours caused fractures.

I've travelled home to Liverpool every weekend bar 4 or 5 for the last year to see her and spend some time with her, her attitude has been incredible, she has met with the undertakers, her solicitor and ensured all her affairs are in order and everything is in place for when she's gone.

I went today with a heavy heart not knowing what to expect or if she'd actually still be with us.

Not only is she fully compos mentis, but, she was sitting up in her bed and for an hour we laughed and joked, she's refusing painkillers as she wishes to stay as mentally aware for as long as she can, we chatted about how long she's got, fun times we spent together and even the EU Referendum.

She was getting tired and it was time for me to go, we said goodbye knowing it was the last time, a hug and a kiss on the cheek and I left.

Absolutely fantastic to get the chance to say goodbye to a loved one in the best way possible, no tears, she doesn't do tears as they serve no purpose and change nothing (her words)
Never felt so humbled in my life as I drove home, incredible brave lady, who will never be forgotten.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Sometimes life just isn't fair, and the good die young. You have my sympathy Paul. As always, remember the good times with the knowledge that you have had the pleasure to have someone so special.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When the pit was closing, one of the lads said it was nice working with so many people who were positive influences in his life. These people like your cousin are the ones that help to mould us into better people.
Her selfless atitude in trying to help others through new cancer drugs are the kind of things that should help you through a tough few weeks,months.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very sad and thanks for sharing. A very brave lady indeed.

Having lost loved ones, I always think - we may have lost the person - but will always have their memory to cherish.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Feel your pain mate. Dad was diagnosed with cancer over Xmas and lasted 6 weeks. Found out he conned his way out of hospital for 3 days to ensure everything was sorted for my mum including arranging for the local pub to bring her a roast every Sunday. Saddest job I ever did was drafting his will. Through it all never a tear, always a smile but I will never forget the day before he died seeing the change in him.

We always loved good food and good wine and he made everyone swear not to tell me that the end was near so as I could enjoy a tour of tapas bars in London I had planned. Saw him in the sunday after to tell him about it and share the experience and he died 48 hours later.

Despite the odd looks from the more traditional I have never been prouder than carrying him on his final journey to the theme tune from the Magnificent 7, his favourite film.

Still visit his grave before every England rugby game to leave him a fresh bottle of beer

Sorry, blubbing now but have needed to share for a while.

D

Deleted member 16999

Feel your pain mate. Dad was diagnosed with cancer over Xmas and lasted 6 weeks. Found out he conned his way out of hospital for 3 days to ensure everything was sorted for my mum including arranging for the local pub to bring her a roast every Sunday. Saddest job I ever did was drafting his will. Through it all never a tear, always a smile but I will never forget the day before he died seeing the change in him.

We always loved good food and good wine and he made everyone swear not to tell me that the end was near so as I could enjoy a tour of tapas bars in London I had planned. Saw him in the sunday after to tell him about it and share the experience and he died 48 hours later.

Despite the odd looks from the more traditional I have never been prouder than carrying him on his final journey to the theme tune from the Magnificent 7, his favourite film.

Still visit his grave before every England rugby game to leave him a fresh bottle of beer

Sorry, blubbing now but have needed to share for a while.
Shocked the wife when I arrived home smiling about the day I'd had.

So difficult to lose anyone especially a parent and I'm sorry for your loss, by the sounds of it he was a special guy making sure his family was taken care of.

I took comfort in being able to share some stories and laughs with a loved one who know's she has only days, death is hard enough at anytime but to get the chance to tell a loved one how you feel and share some stories is priceless, maybe we don't tell our loved ones how feel often enough and then it can be too late, thanks for sharing.
What beer do you leave?

Thanks to everyone else for your kind words.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Different beer every time. Spend more time picking that bottle than I do choosing what I drink. Favourite being good rutlanders is a Ruddles county.

Great man, impossible to follow. Ran Rutland council for nearly 20 years after being a captain of industry. Even with all that the proudest moment moment (after him getting a OBE) was CAMRA naming a bar after him at the local beer festival.

Hurts like a anything but I still sit at night like I am now having a single malt and a good cigar with him.

The good times are always there you just shed the odd tear when you think about them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Moving past and sitting in the hospital cafe with a tear in my eye. Was lucky enough to be with both my mum and dad at the hospice at the very end and got to say everything that needed saying. I took some solace being with them and hope they knew they weren't alone up to the very end. Took me back to my own feelings knowing this was the last day I'd see them.

Wonderful that you got to spend the time still putting a smile on her lips and hope you all get through the next days and weeks and easily as you can in these situations

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My mum went exactly the same way, fit and healthy early December, diagnosed in mid December with 5 months to live, died mid May (a few years ago by the way).

My overriding feeling at the time as I sat looking at this once healthy skeleton in the April, was how unfair it was to such an active and busy person.

Let's keep hoping one day we have a cure.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sad update to the thread, my cousin lost her fight today.
Another star shines bright in heaven tonight. RIPx