Information

Robtaylor2015

Visit site
Hi hope all are well??

Looking for some help, I’ve been playing on and off for a few years with friends when they are free( not very often) I was wondering do people play on there own? Or what would be the best way about getting into golf as I want to play regular, any tips or advice would be great, I’m from hull East Yorkshire??

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi hope all are well??

Looking for some help, I’ve been playing on and off for a few years with friends when they are free( not very often) I was wondering do people play on there own? Or what would be the best way about getting into golf as I want to play regular, any tips or advice would be great, I’m from hull East Yorkshire??
Hi mate,

I would honestly really advocate joining a golf club. You’ll get to know so many people of all different standards.

Failing that, there are a number of only societies on social media that help bring people together

D

Deleted member 23344

I would agree about joining a club, particularly if you want to play regularly in the longer term. However, you could also go to your local course and see if you can join someone else for a round ... golfers tend to be friendly types and a singleton or a two ball may well offer to let you join them. If that fails, it is still enjoyable (and less pressured) to play on your own.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it depends on what standard you are at. If you’re still learning the game you may feel intimidated by joining golfers you have never met but if you can get round without losing too many balls then joining a club with roll ups etc may be the way forward. I do both, if I’m bored and nothing to do I play on my own, usually afternoons when it’s quiet and I can do whatever I want but I also play in 2 roll ups and the seniors morning.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i think one of the best things about the game is playing with lots of different people. Playing on your own is oK once in a while, but nothing beats a nice 4some game.

Join a club and get involved, you can also ask to be paired with othes or if there are any roll ups. Comps are good ways to meet other like minded golfers

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe look into finding a club near you that has an Academy - Academy memberships are often of the order of a quarter or fifth the cost of full membership - and they usually separate Gents, Ladies and Juniors - to avoid the Gents being embarrassed by the Ladies and the Juniors :)

By joining a club's academy you are not committing yourself to joining the club - though it's an easy and often slightly cheaper way in to a club if after a time in the academy, you fancy it, as you can usually do some sort of conversion from academy member to full member.

What you'll normally get in an academy membership is lessons (usually group) on all aspects of the game; access to the clubhouse and facilities - including the club's practice facilities; an understanding of key rules and etiquette; and an occasional outing on the club's course itself - possibly a mixture of 9 holes and 18 holes - though obviously you'll not get that many full rounds - but you'll be playing 'proper' golf.

And if you like what your getting from golf - then you can usually choose to join the club or walk away - and join another club - or no club at all. Academy memberships are usually numbers and time limited - so you'll not be able to be in the academy for longer than 2 - maybe 3 years. But you'll get an excellent feel for the game and what it offers - highs, lows and all sorts of frustrations and friendships.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi hope all are well??

Hi Rob,

I was in a similar situation as you about 10 years ago. Was getting a game about once a month with a few guys, but none of my good friends were into golf and weekend golf was hard to come by.

In order to play more, I eventually took the plunge and joined a club. Ultimately this was on a cost basis but turned into a great decision as it was a great wee club and I got the chance to play regular bounce games, get a handicap and play in competitions.

It seems like a big commitment to join somewhere if you don't know anyone, but ultimately I'd recommend taking a leap and turning up and asking people if they want to play etc.

Playing on your own can be ok, but nothing beats getting into a match with a couple of guys or into a sweep (informal comp between maybe 6 to 20 players)- as well as playing in medals if you get a good score going. As well as just having the chance to go and play a few holes one night after work without worrying about paying a whole green fee and committing to 18 holes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi Rob,

I was in a similar situation as you about 10 years ago. Was getting a game about once a month with a few guys, but none of my good friends were into golf and weekend golf was hard to come by.

In order to play more, I eventually took the plunge and joined a club. Ultimately this was on a cost basis but turned into a great decision as it was a great wee club and I got the chance to play regular bounce games, get a handicap and play in competitions.

It seems like a big commitment to join somewhere if you don't know anyone, but ultimately I'd recommend taking a leap and turning up and asking people if they want to play etc.

Playing on your own can be ok, but nothing beats getting into a match with a couple of guys or into a sweep (informal comp between maybe 6 to 20 players)- as well as playing in medals if you get a good score going. As well as just having the chance to go and play a few holes one night after work without worrying about paying a whole green fee and committing to 18 holes.

I agree with this and would add that once you are in a club you'll find it much easier to go out on your own, especially on a summer night and will learn when the quiet periods are if you fancy and few holes at other times. I do enjoy playing on my own from time to time to clear my head or work on a few things in my game but being a member of a club will hopefully allow you to have some new golfing mates to play regular rounds with. The more you play, the more you'll learn about how to play and hopefully improve as a result

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Would also add I turned up back in the day with a rubbish Hippo bag, £10 dunlop driver, 20 year old unbranded hotchpotch of woods and irons and felt absolutely no judgement. Vast majority of people were friendly, supportive and would offer tips or advice and made me feel v welcoming, getting me into 4ball games etc.

Obviously this may not be the same at all clubs and there are people / places that still see it as a status symbol but I'd hope that any club accepting members (most clubs btw) would have a decent group or groups that would give you a similar experience as I had in 2011.

Robtaylor2015

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies, it’s helped a lot, I’ve spoke to my local club about joining and they said they can put me with people to play, excellent ??