Info Ireland trip

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello guys,

I am organizing the usual yearly golf trip with my dad and I am trying to take advantage of some mid season offers so I choose this itinerary:
  • Saturday pm: The Island
  • Sunday pm: Royal County Down
  • Monday pm: Royal Portrush
  • Tuesday am: Portmarnock

This way I was able to get some discounts but 2 things I am not very convinced about:
  • is leaving Newcastle in the morning to reach RP in the afternoon and then after the game go to sleep in Dublin too tiring?
  • I recall Portmarnock being a fames course but maybe the less interesting of the four, considering I have the plane on Tuesday late afternoon would you choose another course?

Would you make any changes to this?
Thanks for all the tips I will receive
iMak

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Monday morning Newcastle up to Portrush will take you a good two hours, if traffic is bad then add 45 minutes.
few years since I lived there, but the A26 from Ballymena up to the coast could be slow at times.

Evening drive from Portrush to Dublin will probably take three and a half hours if traffic is kind.

If it was me I would move the days around.

Are you flying or ferry.
if going in to Belfast or Dublin would make sense to play the two Dublin courses or the two North courses on successive days as opposed to starting in ROI and finishing there.
You can always fly in to one city and out the other.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Imak

I'm just back from Dublin, I would suggest alternative courses to Portmarnock. Send me a pm if you want any info.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As stated if flying Ryanair/easyjet, you could always fly into one and out of the other.

Not sure on routings but could also possibly fly out of Derry, also.:thup:

What month are you thinking, so can take daylight into account?

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
The trip from RCD to the port would certainly take 2 hours, the road between Ballymena and Ballymoney has been greatly improved, but it will still take around 2 hours. Then to head back from the port to Dublin would be a slog, around 3 hours easily, certainly doable but tiring, I would say so.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We did RCD to Portrush on a Friday morning two years ago and there was quite a bit of traffic, and took just over two hours, so not too bad.

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As stated if flying Ryanair/easyjet, you could always fly into one and out of the other.

Not sure on routings but could also possibly fly out of Derry, also.:thup:

What month are you thinking, so can take daylight into account?

Thank you for the suggestion about different airports, I did not think about it, we have already bought flights to and from Dublin but they were very cheap so I can think of making a change and leaving from a northern airport, thanks!

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The trip from RCD to the port would certainly take 2 hours, the road between Ballymena and Ballymoney has been greatly improved, but it will still take around 2 hours. Then to head back from the port to Dublin would be a slog, around 3 hours easily, certainly doable but tiring, I would say so.

thanks!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We would do it on Monday morning 30th of April, maybe is bank holiday in the UK so a lot of traffic?
We did the drive on the 30 April as well ! Paid £80 for the round at Portrush, compared to £150 ish the next day ! Played in shirt sleeves on a stunning day with hardly any wind. Mind you three days earlier we played Ardglass in sleet !:eek: Not a bank holiday. Easter is month earlier, and May day bank holiday is Monday 7th May. Shame actually as there would have been less traffic on a bank holiday, but then you may not have got on Portrush.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If I was going back to play these two again I would go to Baltray first but both are very good courses and you will enjoy either :thup:

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello guys,

the usual write up after the trip :) I was so lucky to get 3 glorious sunny days with very little wind. Only wet day was the last where we played Portmarnock but I really didn't mind since I liked the opportunity to play it in challenging conditions and I have been very lucky with the previous rounds anyway.

The Island --> what a fun course, maybe the only one where you need to play with somebody who has knowledge of the course since some holes must be known. I hit 3w at the 8th and never saw that ball again :) my favourite holes were 1 and 8 on the first nine and the stretch from the 13 to the 16 on the second 9. Overall a real gem that I would love to play any day.

Royal County Down --> my second round at this great course during a glorious sunny day. Made a couple of birdies and managed to go in just one bunker. It still left me with mixed feelings about the last 3 holes but overall a great day!

Royal portrush --> first time playing it and had also the opportunity to try the 2 new holes for the Open. It's a great course that tests every aspect of your game, I really liked obviously the 5th and the surprise you have when you try to find a proper landing area (hit 5w lest of the stone) and Calamity is such a great par 3, will be great to see the pros playing it. The new holes are good, great visual effect on the new 7 and the 8 is a good hole. The architect did a great job even if you have a feeling you are playing on a new course.

Portmarnock --> as I said, the only rainy and windy day. Great challenge, you are not distracted by the views and remain focused on your score. I especially liked the 4th where you need a perfect drive to see the green and the usual suspects 14-15.

Overall a great trip that I would love one day to do again!
Thanks for reading.
Ciao,
iMak

IMG_5906.jpg

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello guys,

the usual write up after the trip :) I was so lucky to get 3 glorious sunny days with very little wind. Only wet day was the last where we played Portmarnock but I really didn't mind since I liked the opportunity to play it in challenging conditions and I have been very lucky with the previous rounds anyway.

The Island --> what a fun course, maybe the only one where you need to play with somebody who has knowledge of the course since some holes must be known. I hit 3w at the 8th and never saw that ball again :) my favourite holes were 1 and 8 on the first nine and the stretch from the 13 to the 16 on the second 9. Overall a real gem that I would love to play any day.

Royal County Down --> my second round at this great course during a glorious sunny day. Made a couple of birdies and managed to go in just one bunker. It still left me with mixed feelings about the last 3 holes but overall a great day!

Royal portrush --> first time playing it and had also the opportunity to try the 2 new holes for the Open. It's a great course that tests every aspect of your game, I really liked obviously the 5th and the surprise you have when you try to find a proper landing area (hit 5w lest of the stone) and Calamity is such a great par 3, will be great to see the pros playing it. The new holes are good, great visual effect on the new 7 and the 8 is a good hole. The architect did a great job even if you have a feeling you are playing on a new course.

Portmarnock --> as I said, the only rainy and windy day. Great challenge, you are not distracted by the views and remain focused on your score. I especially liked the 4th where you need a perfect drive to see the green and the usual suspects 14-15.

Overall a great trip that I would love one day to do again!
Thanks for reading.
Ciao,
iMak

View attachment 24922

Sounds a great trip, Imak. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the pros handle Royal Portrush, and hope the wind is up for 2-3 of the days.