Ind Rabbits Club Match

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Entered my club Rabbits comp and have arranged our match for tonight. It's the individual comp against a 25 handicapper, sorry for maybe asking the obvious but are single club comps normally played of the whites, I'll get a shot on stroke index 1 won't I and the rest will be played matchplay is that right? So Ryder cup style??

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
At my club, the singles knockouts are all matchplay and all off the whites. Not sure if that's a general rule though.

Assuming it is matchplay, your handicap calcs are correct. The player with the higher handicap gets 100% of the difference between the handicaps. So, as your handicap is 1 higher than your opponent, you get one shot and you use it on SI1.

Good luck!

Shep

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At my club, the singles knockouts are all matchplay and all off the whites. Not sure if that's a general rule though.

Assuming it is matchplay, your handicap calcs are correct. The player with the higher handicap gets 100% of the difference between the handicaps. So, as your handicap is 1 higher than your opponent, you get one shot and you use it on SI1.

Good luck!

Shep

Cheers, just wanted reassurance before I went into the match. Looking forward but slightly nervous.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers, just wanted reassurance before I went into the match. Looking forward but slightly nervous.

Don't be Marshy. You've been on Forum meets - nowt more nervous than your first shot on the tee. Just relax and try and treat it as a competitive bounce game.

Good luck!

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any club knockouts for men at ours are played off the "pegs" as the white tee markers are moved around. The "pegs" aren't.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it's a rabbits comp mate it may well be off the yellows. It is at Rawdon and the Bradford league play off yellows in club rabbit matches. Good luck mate, just relax and enjoy it.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help, in the end I lost the match. Mixed feelings about it really, didn't enjoy it as much as I have playing Sat stableford comps. The guy I played against was really quiet, very little chit chat, no nice shot, great putt etc but I'd been told he was shy/quiet so tried to make conversation and by the end it was easier.

I never felt like I got going, I was 2 up after 2 but then level after 6. Only hit my drive on the first and that was it as he went deep in the rough and couldnt play out after trying a few times. Was down and level all match until the 16th. I was 1 down going into the 16th par 3, hit a decent iron but a bit short, putt to 6 foot. He hit short, wedge on, putt to a foot and gave him it for 4. Stupidly put my putt past gimmie range and went to line the putt up a stupidly touched the ball! I wasnt sure of the rule but I wasn't making my putting stroke but had just put my putter behind the ball and it touched, moved the ball maybe 1/2 cm but did not leave its position. Wasn't sure of the rule as wasn't my opponent although he thought it was a penalty so lost the hole, went in to the last 2 2 down. Won the 17th so went into the last needing to win the hole to level the match, unfortunately we halved the hole and lost the match.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Bad luck Marshy. It's always hard if your opponent is uncommunicative - whether due to shyness or rudeness or gamesmanship. Maybe you'll get someone more chatty next time.

With regard to your incident on the 16th green, I'm a bit unsure about whether the ball moved or not:

moved the ball maybe 1/2 cm but did not leave its position.

How did it move without leaving it's position? Do you mean it rolled back to the original spot? There is no penalty for touching a ball at address providing it doesn't move, if it does move you replace it and incur a one stroke penalty. If it moves and then moves back, I'm not sure!

I bet one of our resident rules experts will be along in a minute to fill in the gaps in our knowledge!

Shep

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bad luck Marshy. It's always hard if your opponent is uncommunicative - whether due to shyness or rudeness or gamesmanship. Maybe you'll get someone more chatty next time.

With regard to your incident on the 16th green, I'm a bit unsure about whether the ball moved or not:

How did it move without leaving it's position? Do you mean it rolled back to the original spot? There is no penalty for touching a ball at address providing it doesn't move, if it does move you replace it and incur a one stroke penalty. If it moves and then moves back, I'm not sure!

I bet one of our resident rules experts will be along in a minute to fill in the gaps in our knowledge!

Shep

It happened so quick and was one of them 'oooh shhhiii**' kind of moments that I probably couldn't honestly say if it left it's position. Think I have to accept that I accidently touched the ball and it did move but unsure whether it moved from it starting position and then returned. Don't think it did but can't be 100% on it.

It'll be a lesson learnt. Hopefully.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
If it oscillates aka wobbles on the spot but is ultimately in the same place, you're fine. No penalty. If it moves off the original spot, it's a penalty. If you saw it move 0.5cm, I'd imagine it didn't roll back into place again but only you know that.