Incorrect score submission in an AmAm.

NearHull

Visit site
Played in an AMAM Open today at Worksop ( really good course), best two out of four to count, Stableford. The competition Secretary noticed that our marker had recorded a gross 4 for 1 point against my name on a par 3 shot hole. He asked me if I had taken 4, no I replied, I had played 5, the marker had put the score against the wrong name. The secretary said my score will be scrubbed for that hole as we had signed for an incorrect score. No issue with that, it is correct.
But on the way home Im thinking about the ruling. Signing and submitting for an incorrect score ( when it’s lower than actually played) in an individual game is a disqualification, shouldn’t we have been disqualified as a team?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, I'll fess up. I'm one of the viewers but no, I don't know.

Of course, it could be disqualification, I expect it is, but the organiser may have taken a pragmatic approach. I know that isn't fashionable in golf but it seemed the end result was fine so why not?

That doesn't give you an answer but I felt the need to fill the awkward quiet ?

wjemather

Visit site
Played in an AMAM Open today at Worksop ( really good course), best two out of four to count, Stableford. The competition Secretary noticed that our marker had recorded a gross 4 for 1 point against my name on a par 3 shot hole. He asked me if I had taken 4, no I replied, I had played 5, the marker had put the score against the wrong name. The secretary said my score will be scrubbed for that hole as we had signed for an incorrect score. No issue with that, it is correct.
But on the way home Im thinking about the ruling. Signing and submitting for an incorrect score ( when it’s lower than actually played) in an individual game is a disqualification, shouldn’t we have been disqualified as a team?
It depends on when was the error discovered - before or after the scorecard was considered returned.

It sounds like there was a recorders area in which your error was discovered and corrected before returning your card and so there is no DQ penalty.

NearHull

Visit site
It depends on when was the error discovered - before or after the scorecard was considered returned.

It sounds like there was a recorders area in which your error was discovered and corrected before returning your card and so there is no DQ penalty.
Unfortunately not, we had handed in the card and were sat in the lounge having a drink when he came in to find us.

wjemather

Visit site
Unfortunately not, we had handed in the card and were sat in the lounge having a drink when he came in to find us.
The committee should have defined when they consider scorecards returned - it would be in the terms of competition. Usually it is leaving the recording area or dropping the card in a box, but it can be extremely flexible, i.e. up to the time when the competition is closed.

salfordlad

Visit site
Key information, not provided in the OP, is whether that submitted incorrect score of 4 produced a superior Stableford points outcome than what can be discerned from the other scores on the submitted card. For example, if all four player scores are there and the incorrect 4 produced a better Stableford score for the group, then DQ. If it only matched (or is inferior to) the Stableford result of any other two submitted scores in the group of four, then no DQ. If only two scores are written on the card, DQ.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
Yes, you should have been dq'd. Rule 3.3b(3) and Rule 21.
As discussed above, perhaps yes, perhaps no, depending on what other scores were included on the card (information we have not yet been provided). See 23.2b(2), which builds from old D32-2a/1 (mapping summary affirms this is unchanged).

NearHull

Visit site
As discussed above, perhaps yes, perhaps no, depending on what other scores were included on the card (information we have not yet been provided). See 23.2b(2), which builds from old D32-2a/1 (mapping summary affirms this is unchanged).
The marker only recorded two scores per hole. Thank you for all of the comments, we should be disqualified. I will email Worksop.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Some organisers can be be pretty 'generous ' when it comes to the rules.

We had quite a heavy browed discussion with one team in an open where the marker had out the gross score against the wrong player resulting in one less point than they should have got. In their argument they said their organisers at their club would simply correct the card error which we we would not.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some organisers can be be pretty 'generous ' when it comes to the rules.

We had quite a heavy browed discussion with one team in an open where the marker had out the gross score against the wrong player resulting in one less point than they should have got. In their argument they said their organisers at their club would simply correct the card error which we we would not.
As said above, it may depend on when the error was discovered.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As said above, it may depend on when the error was discovered.

The competitors only noticed it after it had been recorded on the computer and all results were being shown to all that played. It showed their score as one point lees than they thought they had scored.