Incorrect course yardages

JGolfer

Visit site
So the other day a work friend mentioned he played golf. So he and I talked etc and he mentioned he drives the ball around 250 yards. Now I was a bit taken back by this since he mentioned has only been playing a few months But thought nothing else of it.

Fast forward a week and him and I decide to go for a quick 9 round his local.

First hole 145 yard par 3. Now 145 is about an 8 iron for me. I end up 20 yards past the green.

Second hole 139. So I club down to a 9. About 12 yards over the green. At this point alarm bells are already ringing. I know my distances and unless it's a knuckleball which neither of them where I know something is wrong.

6th hole comes. During conversation i ask how he knows his distances and he mentions this hole is 310 yards on the scorecard and he leaves himself alittle chip onto the green for about 60 yards. Now I know I hit my driver 240-250 inc roll since i gap test a lot on the range.

So step up hit drive. Good hit. He's like wow. We walk up I drive over the green.

Has anybody else noticed this? I spoke to the guy in the pro shop and he assured me the distances are correct but I know that's bs because I don't hit the ball that far + I brought my gps watch the next day and it showed the first hole as 125 yards. And the second 129.

Oh and the 6th hole 246 yards.

It wouldn't bother me but when people who play that course goto courses that are accurate it's going to cause them nothing but pain.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the other day a work friend mentioned he played golf. So he and I talked etc and he mentioned he drives the ball around 250 yards. Now I was a bit taken back by this since he mentioned has only been playing a few months But thought nothing else of it.

Fast forward a week and him and I decide to go for a quick 9 round his local.

First hole 145 yard par 3. Now 145 is about an 8 iron for me. I end up 20 yards past the green.

Second hole 139. So I club down to a 9. About 12 yards over the green. At this point alarm bells are already ringing. I know my distances and unless it's a knuckleball which neither of them where I know something is wrong.

6th hole comes. During conversation i ask how he knows his distances and he mentions this hole is 310 yards on the scorecard and he leaves himself alittle chip onto the green for about 60 yards. Now I know I hit my driver 240-250 inc roll since i gap test a lot on the range.

So step up hit drive. Good hit. He's like wow. We walk up I drive over the green.

Has anybody else noticed this? I spoke to the guy in the pro shop and he assured me the distances are correct but I know that's bs because I don't hit the ball that far + I brought my gps watch the next day and it showed the first hole as 125 yards. And the second 129.

Oh and the 6th hole 246 yards.

It wouldn't bother me but when people who play that course goto courses that are accurate it's going to cause them nothing but pain.

Isn’t it the longest the hole plays or the average?

Tees can be brought forward at times. Which is why gps is so helpful.

JGolfer

Visit site
Isn’t it the longest the hole plays or the average?

Tees can be brought forward at times. Which is why gps is so helpful.

The tee's are little plots of gross in the middle of gravel, they don't move. Perfect example first hole, for the distance to be correct it would have to be tee'd from the road into the course.

JGolfer

Visit site
Distance for all 9 holes is 1,876 off hand. And i have no idea what Course Rating is. Nor how to find it. The 310 hole is the longest.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
" ..... I brought my gps watch the next day and it showed the first hole as 125 yards. And the second 129. "

I've found gps watches a little less acurate, my son and i have different ones and there are a few holes where the distances don't match. Use the laser to confirm, seems mine is the one that's less accurate

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
You need a laser range finder to know for sure.

BTW what is a knuckle ball?

It’s a baseball term for a pitching style where the pitcher doesn’t impart spin with his fingers, so the ball comes out pretty much spinless... I think in golf this is viewed to mean a shot with no spin that cuts through the wind?