Incorrect Attire For Work

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm currently working for Tesco, merchandising and filling shelves. The staff turnover is fast, in fact 6 months in and I'm now the second longest serving evening shelf filler! A new girl was allocated to me last night, I had a lot to do. Lovely girl dead chatty and smiley. Fingernails were long and very sparkly. YOU CANNOT RIP OPEN CARDBOARD BOXES WHILST WORRYING ABOUT YOUR PIGGIN' NAILS ! Slow? If she'd have gone any slower she'd have stopped. I worked me nutz off and got the lot done, much to the amazement of the boss. Maybe if they employed a few more "old school" people they'd have a more productive staff.

Oh yeah when she turned up for work they shouted over the headphones she was here and the manger, all teeth, wobbly bits and pumped up lips, shouted over the headphones "Yeah she's really lovely". Lovely don't get the work done pet !

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm currently working for Tesco, merchandising and filling shelves. The staff turnover is fast, in fact 6 months in and I'm now the second longest serving evening shelf filler

That probably quit after looking at you thinking "they expect me to work that fast, I am going to find an easier job".:ROFLMAO:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife wanted a part-time job a few years back, we lived right by a big Tesco, so seemed ideal! She could not pass that aptitude test. I tried it, failed. We made a game of it and only 1 in about 10 people we sent it to passed the required level to get an interview even!

I don't think they are looking for initiative or the next alan sugar.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife wanted a part-time job a few years back, we lived right by a big Tesco, so seemed ideal! She could not pass that aptitude test. I tried it, failed. We made a game of it and only 1 in about 10 people we sent it to passed the required level to get an interview even!

I don't think they are looking for initiative or the next alan sugar.

I think that test has been dropped. I didn't do it this time, but I have done in the past and never got to interview after doing it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what was she wearing that was incorrect?

Shiny nails!!!! The wife had hers done a few weeks ago all shiny and sparkly and OMG all cleaning and washing dishes was then done in marigolds bought specifically to protect them and that's what this girl / young lady was trying to do, protect her nails.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shiny nails!!!! The wife had hers done a few weeks ago all shiny and sparkly and OMG all cleaning and washing dishes was then done in marigolds bought specifically to protect them and that's what this girl / young lady was trying to do, protect her nails.

She was WEARING her nails? That's definitely incorrect attire.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
One of my Groundworkers turned up to dig a trench in Socks and Sliders because someone had nicked his boots from outside his flat. Had to lend him some boots for the day!

Re OP is it not a case of Minimum wage Minimum effort?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The supermarkets in Inverness which is tesco, Asda and Morrisons all use an attitude test still. Anyone under the age of 20 appears to all wear the same this below the waste anyway which is either black leggings or skinny black jeans and trainers.?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Can she not be given a box cutter?

For what it's worth I wear jeans and trainers to work normally and I'm covered in tattoo's. No problem these days, glad most people don't think like this anymore!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can she not be given a box cutter?

For what it's worth I wear jeans and trainers to work normally and I'm covered in tattoo's. No problem these days, glad most people don't think like this anymore!

I have it from the other point of view. Most companies I have worked for would be happy to allow a more relaxed dress code but people expect to see their solicitor in a suit and tie and so I still wear a suit and tie.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think if you're doing a professional job, you're best to dress professionally. It really depends on the job. If I am going to meet customers in my role as Product Manager, then I think they expect me to look smart and presentable. I think it helps to give your opinion more gravitas.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to work on a proactive task force and we wore plain clothes/drove around in unmarked cars and a lad turned up in flip flops and shorts. He got sent home to change and had to buy a lot of coffees and doughnut for his transgression.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I think if you're doing a professional job, you're best to dress professionally. It really depends on the job. If I am going to meet customers in my role as Product Manager, then I think they expect me to look presentable.

I'm head of marketing for a credit company in Canary Wharf. Only time i'll wear a suit is if i'm going somewhere nice with investors.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm head of marketing for a credit company in Canary Wharf. Only time i'll wear a suit is if i'm going somewhere nice with investors.
I don't tend to wear a suit any more now, or a tie, except for formal occasions. However, I will wear a smart shirt and trousers. My job takes me to meet customers at their premises and I tend to dress smartly first time I meet them.