Inactive handicaps - how strict are your club?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
An issue has arisen at our place in recent weeks regarding members playing events with inactive handicaps, and I'm curious regarding the stance at other clubs.

Whilst we allow members to play in competitions if they have an inactive handicap, they are ineligible to win any prizes. Seems fair enough.

Last Saturday was the first knockout round in our Winter League. Our format is five rounds of BB stableford, with the best four rounds to count. The best sixteen pairs qualify for knockout.

It transpires that, having successfully made it through the BB stages, BOTH players in one of the top 16 pairs now have inactive handicaps. Despite that, they were allowed to play and won through to the last 8.

One of the defeated pair is a mate of mine and he was furious. He had actually told his opponents prior to starting that they should not be playing. His stance, and I agree, is that if they could commit to a minimum of five rounds of BB, how is it that they could not play three handicap qualifiers in the last year?

My view is very simplistic. If someone plays regular golf throughout the year, and does not make the effort to play three qualifiers to maintain an active handicap, then there is something underhand going on if they are then able to commit to several rounds in a short period. If they aren't available for club competitions then there is no reason they can't play supplementary rounds.

I have told my playing partner if we draw this pair in the last 8 I will refuse to play them. The hope is that it will force our Committee, who are ditherers at the best of times, to take a stance.

I'm curious to know everyone's individual views, and whether their clubs would have allowed this situation to arise.

D

Deleted member 15344

The club follows the rules set out for each comp

If you have a non competitive HC you may enter comps but can't win them but card will go towards getting HC competitive

You can enter KO as long as your HC is active before the first round closes - if not you are DQ from the comp.

D

Deleted member 15344

Simple at the belfry. You can play any comp you like but you'll be playing off scratch

Eh ? Does the Belfry runs comps in a totally different way to anyone else. What is the thinking behind that ? The persons handicap is still a valid HC

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At ours inactive handicappers can play in the winter league rounds but do not qualify for the knockouts for the top 32 pairs. This is clearly stated before the winter league starts.

D

Deleted member 15344

Eh ? Does the Belfry runs comps in a totally different way to anyone else. What is the thinking behind that ? The persons handicap is still a valid HC[/QUOTE ]

If the persons handicap is not active then how is it valid?

The inactive HC was changed two years ago

There is no such thing as inactive now it's called competitive

Even if you lose your competive HC status your HC is still a valid HC - it just means you haven't played 3 Qualifying comps or supplementary cards in the previous 12 months.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
we have had this at our club ,my pp in the pairs was told he couldnt play in the pairs ko as his h/cap wasnt up to date.hence he told the club to do one and i was left to play on my own .
the rule that the club applies is no current h/cap no win of prizes, but you can play and enter your card to be used as your one of three to activate your old h/cap .if three are needed to do so.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My h/c is inactive. I would not enter a pairs competition whilst it is inactive, it would not be right. I have no idea if my club would allow it but I would not even ask the question. As others mentioned, I can play in comps but not win them, like that is ever going to happen. The cards would count towards jumping leading my h/c back into action.

Billysboots

Visit site
But what do they do in the case of a knockout round when no prize is at stake? It's that which is muddying the waters - we pay out for the individual BB rounds used to qualify for the knockout stages, but now we've reached knockout nobody seems to want to grip it.

My view is that they should not be allowed to play, and potentially deny members who do hold active handicaps the ultimate chance of winning our Winter League overall.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But what do they do in the case of a knockout round when no prize is at stake? It's that which is muddying the waters - we pay out for the individual BB rounds used to qualify for the knockout stages, but now we've reached knockout nobody seems to want to grip it.

My view is that they should not be allowed to play, and potentially deny members who do hold active handicaps the ultimate chance of winning our Winter League overall.

What is in the club rules. There must be something laid down. If not surely the decision lies with the competition secretary

Billysboots

Visit site
That's the problem. Our Committee are very inconsistent. I'm not sure this even features in the rules for this particular competition which means a decision needs to now be made. And guess who one of the losing pair was?

Yep. None other than our Competition Secretary.

You couldn't make it up.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site

why didnt the non h/cap player use their previous rounds scoring for putting in a card to keep their h/cap live.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's the problem. Our Committee are very inconsistent. I'm not sure this even features in the rules for this particular competition which means a decision needs to now be made. And guess who one of the losing pair was?

Yep. None other than our Competition Secretary.

You couldn't make it up.

Classic. I'd be asking if there's anything in the club rules rather than leaving it to the auspices of the committee

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Players with non-competition handicaps can play in club medals and stablefords as it is a route by which they can "re-activate" their handicaps.... they are not however allowed to win any prizes whilst their handicap is non-competitive.

In terms of matchplay comps over a period of time, the conditions of competition state that a player must maintain a "competition" handicap for the entire duration of the competition. When entries for such competitions are received, the committee actively checks the players and warms any of them if their handicaps are likely to become non competitive during the competition and clearly tells them what they have to do, and by when, in order to maintain their handicaps competitiveness.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I left Highwoods with an active handicap about two months before I was due to play in the Trilby Tour.
I asked the secretary if he could let me have a handicap certificate so that I could play in it.
Guess what he said???
:mad: