Improving my swing

bartdb

Visit site
Hi all,

Recently starting playing again after 10yrs (young kids).

I'm looking for some pointers to improve my swing. Made a video yesterday, quite happy about my swing. But find it hard to give myself pointers, hopefully the people here have a good perspective.

Link to video https://streamable.com/ou61zx

Thanks!
Bart

bartdb

Visit site
Little background, I'm 40, from the Netherlands.
Have not played for handicap yet, so still 54.
Hitting with my driver gets the ball 210 to 250yrds on average

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've not watched the video but from the distance stated with driver, if this is straight and consistent, then you don't have too much to worry about

bartdb

Visit site
I've not watched the video but from the distance stated with driver, if this is straight and consistent, then you don't have too much to worry about
Thanks for the comment!
Unfortunately, there are some that tend to slide to the right. Not sure why.
Sometimes the left, but that is because I do something wrong, notice it usually during the swing.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You have a good looking swing to me your driver set up could do with the ball being opposite your left heel with your hands level with the club head. What your ball flight like.

bartdb

Visit site
You have a good looking swing to me your driver set up could do with the ball being opposite your left heel with your hands level with the club head. What your ball flight like.
Thanks for the tip!
Some go really quickly high, but I blame the high tee of the driving range, or should I swing more above the ground.
Best ones to straight forward, slowly gaining height, these feel the best.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say you could tweak your set-up a bit. Normal set-up with driver would have the ball further up in your stance (i.e. just inside left heel), and maybe a bit of spine-angle tilt towards trail side. To get you hitting up on the ball; whereas currently it looks like you're striking down on it a bit. Basically the video looks like a decent set-up and swing if you were hitting a long iron or fairway wood, but not quite right for driver.

I just Googled this image but it pretty much shows you what I meant:
1725361227442.png

Compare the picture on the right above to your set-up:
1725361315772.png

By not having the ball far enough forward and having no spine tilt, you end up with your hands in front of the ball with a fair amount of shaft lean, presumably making it very difficult to hit up on the ball. In the pictures above you can see he has his shaft pretty much vertical. (Again, this is all just for driver only.) Your weight also seems to be a bit on your lead side, which again isn't that helpful with driver.

bartdb

Visit site
By not having the ball far enough forward and having no spine tilt, you end up with your hands in front of the ball with a fair amount of shaft lean, presumably making it very difficult to hit up on the ball. In the pictures above you can see he has his shaft pretty much vertical. (Again, this is all just for driver only.)
This is some solid advice! Thanks for pointing that out. I will try that next time on the driving range.

Is it also more natural with the spine tilt to create more speed/momentum when going through the ball to get more distance?
I found myself struggling with a faster swing, hitting the ground.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is some solid advice! Thanks for pointing that out. I will try that next time on the driving range.

Is it also more natural with the spine tilt to create more speed/momentum when going through the ball to get more distance?
I found myself struggling with a faster swing, hitting the ground.
It's more about hitting it on the up. With irons you want a descending blow, but with driver you tee it high and want to hit it with an upwards motion. The idea being that it should carry further in the air.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Some go really quickly high, but I blame the high tee of the driving range,

Not really what you asked but you know you can buy these online and cut to (your) size to make sure your range balls aren't wasted on teeing it too high
1725363758754.png

Have not played for handicap yet, so still 54.

Also not what you asked but if you haven't put cards in for handicap yet then you're a '0' not 54 (only need the handicap for competition rounds)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why have I never thought of that? That's genius!

They've been putting us off mats more often recently so I got some and just cut with scissors (remember to account for the mat thickness) I'm a smidge below pink castle height
Oh and buy white or blue ones, it makes them stand out more from the range stock and no funny looks when you pop it into your bag at the end, and less likely to forget to pick it up again

p.s really though, don't forget to pick it up when finished, like my wife did the other week :whistle:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They've been putting us off mats more often recently so I got some and just cut with scissors (remember to account for the mat thickness) I'm a smidge below pink castle height
Oh and buy white or blue ones, it makes them stand out more from the range stock and no funny looks when you pop it into your bag at the end, and less likely to forget to pick it up again

p.s really though, don't forget to pick it up when finished, like my wife did the other week :whistle:
Then explain to all on-lookers that it is yours and you're not stealing it. 😄