Impact snaps

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My 8iron head snapped off on impact on the first today.

This is third club this has happened to me this summer. I had my 7i reshafted a couple of months back after it flew off on a fairway bunker shot. Exactly the same thing happened a month later with my 5i - different fairway bunker. A few weeks on and today's differed in that it was just out of the soft semi rough.

I also had to reshafted my 6i a couple of years ago when the same thing happened.

So that's 4 irons from the 4-P which have failed me since purchasing in 2012. I am not happy. Not happy at all.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What did you do - suck it up or kick up stink?

my 7 iron snapped within a month of purchase and titlest fixed it. a few weeks later my 9 iron snapped. whilst the 9 iron was away for repair my 6 iron snapped. i told titleist i wasn't happy and wanted to send them the remaining clubs to have them reshafted. they said no and they would only fix them after they snapped.

i sold my clubs and haven't used i titleist product in 5 years. i have just bought a set of ap2 718 though

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Only ever had one shaft snap on impact - a TT Dynalite in a 6 iron over 20 years ago.....
Multiple snaps from a set of clubs implies a dodgy batch of shafts does it not.....

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only ever had one shaft snap on impact - a TT Dynalite in a 6 iron over 20 years ago.....
Multiple snaps from a set of clubs implies a dodgy batch of shafts does it not.....

this would seem logical. i did notice that there was a lot of rust inside the shaft when inspecting them. titleist said it because i probably put a tee peg into the hole at the end of the grip thus allowing moisture to get into the shaft!!!!! after a month?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
this would seem logical. i did notice that there was a lot of rust inside the shaft when inspecting them. titleist said it because i probably put a tee peg into the hole at the end of the grip thus allowing moisture to get into the shaft!!!!! after a month?

One of the things I have become a bit fanatical about these days when doing regrips is to ensure the butt end of the shaft is completely taped over and after washing the grip I always put the clubs grip side down.

I have had about 6 shafts breakages and but that is over 40 years of play. I have put it down the size of divots I take and hitting range mats. One breakage was definitely my own fault for failing to ensure a loose ferrule was not resecured and the shaft rusted out where it went in to the head.

I used to get the old shafts from the pro to use as plant supports but he says he vary rarely has any to do these days as the quality of shafts has improved so much.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the answers all.
I've had a look inside the shafts and there is some very minor rust spots on the outside under where the ferrule used to be (a few tiny flecks) none visible inside.

The snaps are very clean - the 5i about 5mm above the top edge of the clubhead, the 8i right on the joint.

Tempted to take them somewhere for a 2nd opinion.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It could possibly be that too much of the chrome was taken off.

These days when I fit a shaft I try to ensure that some of the chromed area is inside the hosel. I also try to take off only as much chrome as is needed for the shaft to fit in the hosel and get a good 'key' for the epoxy.

However I would have though that with a company like Titleist that they have some sort of jig to ensure that the amount of the shaft that is de-chromed is fixed.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always squirt some wd40 or similar light oil every now and then or when I regrip down the grip butt hole.
Only shafts I have snapped were one wrapped around a tree, and a graphite when flexing it between hands.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How much does it cost to fix a club?
The hosel on my 7 iron has slipped a little (Taylormade R11 irons)

Nothing if all that is wrong is the hosel is loose. They only stay in pace by shrinkage and if you wash your clubs you should only do so in warm water. The way to move them is to pour hot water over them so they expand and move them in to the right position. Some builders will glue them in to place.

To check if it is the shaft coming out of the hosel just grip the head and the shaft an try twisting it. If it does move then it will probably come out without applying heat. Clean the shaft and inside the hosel and refix using a two part epoxy resin. (plenty of 'how tos' on You Tube).

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing if all that is wrong is the hosel is loose. They only stay in pace by shrinkage and if you wash your clubs you should only do so in warm water. The way to move them is to pour hot water over them so they expand and move them in to the right position. Some builders will glue them in to place.

To check if it is the shaft coming out of the hosel just grip the head and the shaft an try twisting it. If it does move then it will probably come out without applying heat. Clean the shaft and inside the hosel and refix using a two part epoxy resin. (plenty of 'how tos' on You Tube).

they don't stay in place by shrinkage they stay in place because of a tight initial fit and resting against the epoxy glue that has spilt over from the shaft.

hold the ferrel over a steaming kettle for 10 seconds whilst rotating it. this will melt the glue and it will slide back into place. make sure you put a towel over it first or you'll burn your hands