I'm off to Woodhall Spa this weekend.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'll be playing both courses over Sunday / Monday and really looking forward to it!

I've not heard a great deal about it apart from the vast amount of bunkers on the courses.

Do any of you have any tips or pointers for me?

I'm playing with 3 others of which 2 have played it for sure, the 3rd i'm not so sure about.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a look at these, though note some will be out of date with the recent work Doak and co are doing

https://www.woodhallspagolf.com/hotchkin_course_flyovers

Also I find this pretty useful (well, the 2D planner anyway), it just gives you yardages to carry etc.

https://www.provisualizer.com/courses/woodhallspahotchkin.php

But realistically once you get on the first tee any game plan you think you might have will go out the window and you enjoy a lovely journey through a peaceful surrounding, with great golf presenting itself to you at every hole. Have fun. It's a fabulous track.

D

Deleted member 1418

Yes - try and stay out of the bunkers....! 😂😂

You'll love it, especially the Hotchkin - just top class.

D

Deleted member 17920

I'll be playing both courses over Sunday / Monday and really looking forward to it!

I've not heard a great deal about it apart from the vast amount of bunkers on the courses.

Do any of you have any tips or pointers for me?

I'm playing with 3 others of which 2 have played it for sure, the 3rd i'm not so sure about.
Hotchkin course, don’t be greedy with a driver, it’s a placement course, miss the bunkers and and you can score really easily.

Bracken course, hit driver everywhere and learn how’s to putt and you will score really easily.

Job done, enough pointers and enjoy the weekend :D

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Absolutely quality set up. Respect the Hotchkin and plot your way round it and you will have an excellent day out on one of the best tracks in the UK. I swallowed my ego, laid up more often than not and had one of the most enjoyable rounds I've ever had.

D

Deleted member 17920

Have fun on the 5th, do get in the right bunker just for fun :)

Leave the driver out on most holes. ;)
It’s the last season that bunker is going to be the one on the right, from September it’s going to be the one straight in front of you :D

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So they are moving the tee to make the hole more “fair” :) Not sure I understand why it’d be better this way, perfect as it is when I played it.

Any other significant changes from the second tranche of Doak’s work?

D

Deleted member 17920

So they are moving the tee to make the hole more “fair” :) Not sure I understand why it’d be better this way, perfect as it is when I played it.

Any other significant changes from the second tranche of Doak’s work?
The current tee box is a hold up point, it’s in the way of the approach on 2 and if you pull one left from the 2nd shot on 4 it’s equally as dangerous.

The 5th hole will be harder with the tee been moved, it’s a very easy green to hit from the current tee and the new tee it will be a more precise shot in to hit the green.

The changes this time round have been way more than last year,

5,6,14,17 are completely different holes from last year. I personally think 6 and 14 are stunning holes now from what they were.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hotchkin - 27 points, enjoyed it would play it again, but wouldn't rush back. Preferred Thorpeness when I played that last year, for the record I scored 26 points on that day, so it isn't based just on how well I scored.

Bracken - 28 points, nothing more than a hotel course for me.

But I will say the greens run lovely although they aren't very quick they do stay on the line you send them on.

The Inn where we stayed was also lovely, brilliant staff and lovely brekkie!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Interesting, I've never heard anyone say they prefer Thorpeness to the Hotchin.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm surprised, but then different strokes and all that! For instance North Shore in Skeg doesn't get the kudos Seacroft does, probably because the inland 9 holes are parkland and many are pretty uninspiring. However the 9 on the coast are fantastic links holes and the course as a whole is a great spot for matchplay with a good mix of risk-reward holes, and the mix of styles tests different parts of your game (even though it isn't a long course by any stretch). For that reason I prefer North Shore, though many would say I've lost my mind. I've played Seacroft a few times now and really don't think it's all that. Too many blind shots for my liking, it is a skill you need to aquire but when you hit (what you feel is) a beauty and lose a ball a few times you get sick of it!

So back to the Hotchkin. I played it in winter off yellows and thought "yeah it's got some great holes and some forgetable ones". I played it again on a beautiful day with the heather in full bloom and it thought it was fantastic. Looking forward to seeing the changes this year and what's planned for the next 2! I've never played the Bracken, sounds American and I tend to score well when there's no rough. Not that I hit about 3 FIRs per round or anything :whistle:

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Hotchkin course, don’t be greedy with a driver, it’s a placement course, miss the bunkers and and you can score really easily.

Bracken course, hit driver everywhere and learn how’s to putt and you will score really easily.

Job done, enough pointers and enjoy the weekend :D

Good advice. Hotchkin all about keeping it on the fairway. Bracken is all about the greens, slopey and tricky to read. Lovely place.