I'm Looking Forward to Christmas because...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lot's of miserablists out there (though not on here I don't think) already whinging about how much they dislike Christmas - so a thread to be the antidote to these miseries.

I'm looking forward to Christmas because...

...we'll spend it with my MiL at hers in Chesterfield - and at 90 she will very much appreciate us being there with her and it will be nice - hopefully our lad will be able to pop down from Sheffield to join us. And I've just been told that the church choir will be singing Harold Darke's arrangement of 'In the Bleak Midwinter' in our Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols. It's my favourite carol and Darke's 4-part arrangement is beautiful and lovely to sing. Joys.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because I have loads of leave saved up so I'll be off work for near enough two and a half weeks. Plus the last two weeks are awash with piss-ups anyway. Lovely stuff.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I love Christmas but I don't get involved in all the hype till December. I love seeing the Coke advert on TV, and opening the first window in my traditional advent calendar. I love Christmas shopping, and choosing something a little different, or even quirky for everyone. I love the carol service, although midnight mass is not on the cards anymore. I love Christmas Eve drinks with friends in the local pub. Norad Santa is checked regularly on Christmas Eve, with calls made to the kids(adults now) telling them where he is. And midnight sees Mrs Hobbit and I having our traditional picnic on the rug in the lounge. Smoked salmon, Wensleydale cheese, pickles and Prosecco.

Christmas Day this year sees us entertain an old man from the village for lunch - his family are going away for Christmas, and he doesn't want to travel. Christmas music will be on 'shuffle.' Then hunker down for a good film and the obligatory snooze. We've got open house on Boxing Day, you're all invited, out on the terrace for a pool party - the heater will go on a few days before for those daft enough. BBQ will be on and the beer and wine fridge will be stocked, and there'll be a snooker tournament in the snooker room. Boxing Day is party day...

January 6th is the big day here in Spain, when the 3 Kings return to Spain from Bethlehem. There'll be quite a number of food stalls, Paella and BBQ's up and running. Drink will flow and there'll be a parade and stuff on in the square till well past midnight.

And yes, "in the bleak midwinter" will be played at least once.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because my current consultancy engagement ends on the 13th Dec and I don't start with the new client until 20th Jan... 5 weeks off :)

And, thanks to an agency mess up in my first month of this assignment, I still have 1 month's full money to get paid. So don't even have to worry about cash flow.

D

Deleted member 21258

as I almost feel the same excitement as when I was a child.

No other time of year or event or get together makes me feels like that.

D

Deleted member 1147

Food & drink, music, films, TV specials, time off work, and with family

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Because I’ll have the house to myself as the mrs goes to the in-laws.
I’ve earmarked 6 hours overtime at work, failing that I’ll go to the golf course as per the last 4 years.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I love Christmas , but pretty ultra busy as I am usually cooking for loads (around 20 this year). However I agree with the post above it's a bit early too contemplate just now , I don't think about it till at least mid December.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I love Christmas , but pretty ultra busy as I am usually cooking for loads (around 20 this year). However I agree with the post above it's a bit early too contemplate just now , I don't think about it till at least mid December.

I feel sorry for the shop staff who have to put up with jingle bells for 2 months solid before Christmas. By the time it comes round, I'll bet they're sick of it

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love Christmas because....

Perhaps one year I will find something new on the telly that's worth watching rather than the usual re-runs.

D

Deleted member 1147

I feel sorry for the shop staff who have to put up with jingle bells for 2 months solid before Christmas. By the time it comes round, I'll bet they're sick of it

I don't feel sorry for any my colleagues who get the joy of Phil Spector's Christmas album for the next couple of months :mad::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Because I will get away from it all by spending it with Mrs Mogs in our flat by the sea.

I also get to see my Sister and my two nephews in the lead up. They live in Germany, so we don't see as much of each other as we should.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I love Christmas but I don't get involved in all the hype till December. I love seeing the Coke advert on TV, and opening the first window in my traditional advent calendar. I love Christmas shopping, and choosing something a little different, or even quirky for everyone. I love the carol service, although midnight mass is not on the cards anymore. I love Christmas Eve drinks with friends in the local pub. Norad Santa is checked regularly on Christmas Eve, with calls made to the kids(adults now) telling them where he is. And midnight sees Mrs Hobbit and I having our traditional picnic on the rug in the lounge. Smoked salmon, Wensleydale cheese, pickles and Prosecco.

Christmas Day this year sees us entertain an old man from the village for lunch - his family are going away for Christmas, and he doesn't want to travel. Christmas music will be on 'shuffle.' Then hunker down for a good film and the obligatory snooze. We've got open house on Boxing Day, you're all invited, out on the terrace for a pool party - the heater will go on a few days before for those daft enough. BBQ will be on and the beer and wine fridge will be stocked, and there'll be a snooker tournament in the snooker room. Boxing Day is party day...

January 6th is the big day here in Spain, when the 3 Kings return to Spain from Bethlehem. There'll be quite a number of food stalls, Paella and BBQ's up and running. Drink will flow and there'll be a parade and stuff on in the square till well past midnight.

And yes, "in the bleak midwinter" will be played at least once.

...and Harold darke's arrangement

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You're a month too early

Yup - just need to build up my positivity to withstand any negativity ;)

Besides - with John Lewis ad out yesterday and town Christmas lights getting switched on tomorrow with the 'original' Rock Choir (Farnham) doing their stuff afterwards in our church - just right time to start thinking about the start of Advent in two weeks time - it's not just about Christmas Day :)

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I was in the big city yesterday and the shop had a particularly cheesy Xmas music disc playing.
Can I help you with anything... the assistant asked.
I replied with a laugh...not really, unless you can turn the music off.
She laughed back and said... we all wish we could.