How much are you looking forward to Winter?

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
How is the fitness going? 2st 6lbs is a good start. Do you have an optimum target? Is fatigue coming about through dehydration or not snacking on course?

Fatigue probably from being so unfit plus being so hugely overweight. But dehydration is a huge issue on hot days as I'd be sweating faster than I can drink. I regularly get good scores on the front nine, best in competition was 24 points to finish with 36 after making only 12 on the back 9.

I played a singles match on a really hot Saturday in July and was going well, 3 up thru 6 and was 2 over gross, then blew the next 6 holes completely, to go 3 down, a rest at the 12th waiting for boys in front let me start to come back to lose on the 17th 2&1.

My opponent literally got to pick his ball up off the fairway on the 8th, 10th and 11th where he used this to his advantage by power walking to the next tee so that I couldn't get a chance to recover. The only reason I got the rest at the 12th was because I purposely held back and walked slow. My opponent was trying to get the group in front to let us through.

I played 9 holes on Friday and noticed a massive improvement already. But still have a long way to go. Have started power walking with the wife and the kids go on their bikes. Got 2x3 mile walks in last week and hoping for 4 nights this week and every week over the winter.

It's known through the club not to worry if I'm hammering somebody at the start of a match because once I walk up the long steep hill on our ninth that I will be exhausted and fall apart.

I intend to change that next year lol

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fatigue probably from being so unfit plus being so hugely overweight. But dehydration is a huge issue on hot days as I'd be sweating faster than I can drink. I regularly get good scores on the front nine, best in competition was 24 points to finish with 36 after making only 12 on the back 9.

I played a singles match on a really hot Saturday in July and was going well, 3 up thru 6 and was 2 over gross, then blew the next 6 holes completely, to go 3 down, a rest at the 12th waiting for boys in front let me start to come back to lose on the 17th 2&1.

My opponent literally got to pick his ball up off the fairway on the 8th, 10th and 11th where he used this to his advantage by power walking to the next tee so that I couldn't get a chance to recover. The only reason I got the rest at the 12th was because I purposely held back and walked slow. My opponent was trying to get the group in front to let us through.

I played 9 holes on Friday and noticed a massive improvement already. But still have a long way to go. Have started power walking with the wife and the kids go on their bikes. Got 2x3 mile walks in last week and hoping for 4 nights this week and every week over the winter.

It's known through the club not to worry if I'm hammering somebody at the start of a match because once I walk up the long steep hill on our ninth that I will be exhausted and fall apart.

Good stuff big fella keep up the hard work it will be worth it in the end,but remember not to over do it and get injured

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Good stuff big fella keep up the hard work it will be worth it in the end,but remember not to over do it and get injured

Thanks mate, just sticking with the walking for the meantime and if I can get down to 20st I will start the gym and try and increase my stamina. (Hopefully by start of December).

So far 5 weeks off the chocolate and crisps which is the reason for most of the weight loss. Started last week eating breakfast as well and taking cooked chicken or tuna to work at night instead of snacking on junk like I was doing. All last week I can't remember one time that I felt hungry yet lost 11lbs in 11 days whilst still having takeaway 2 nights last weekend.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks mate, just sticking with the walking for the meantime and if I can get down to 20st I will start the gym and try and increase my stamina. (Hopefully by start of December).

So far 5 weeks off the chocolate and crisps which is the reason for most of the weight loss. Started last week eating breakfast as well and taking cooked chicken or tuna to work at night instead of snacking on junk like I was doing. All last week I can't remember one time that I felt hungry yet lost 11lbs in 11 days whilst still having takeaway 2 nights last weekend.

Walking is great exercise mate I go out power walking with the wife a lot due to the hilly nature of where I stay its perfect for it, I have to do it walking /exercise due to a condition I have which has wasted muscle in my right leg, so do a lot of leg work at the gym.

A decent diet is key mate I'm a shift worker and night shift is a killer with vending machines shouting my name every time I pass:rofl:.It wil be hard at times mate but all the best and keep it going it will be worth it down the back 9

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 years ago I lost 2stone by using the Wii Fit , jogging around the house in my slippers, also did the hula hoop and boxing exercises . started at 15 mins and built up to 2 hrs a day.
You've put me in the mood start again as I've let it slip. Best of luck :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Winter isn't a great time for me as I'm reasonably happy with my swing but need to work hard on my short game. Practising off a range mat is pointless as you always get a perfect lie and the hard mat surface covers up any poor strike issues. I need to spend time on real grass and chipping/pitching off soggy/muddy lies ain't easy :(

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

Walking is great exercise mate I go out power walking with the wife a lot due to the hilly nature of where I stay its perfect for it, I have to do it walking /exercise due to a condition I have which has wasted muscle in my right leg, so do a lot of leg work at the gym.

A decent diet is key mate I'm a shift worker and night shift is a killer with vending machines shouting my name every time I pass:rofl:.It wil be hard at times mate but all the best and keep it going it will be worth it down the back 9

3 years ago I lost 2stone by using the Wii Fit , jogging around the house in my slippers, also did the hula hoop and boxing exercises . started at 15 mins and built up to 2 hrs a day.
You've put me in the mood start again as I've let it slip. Best of luck :thup:

Inspirational fella's.... Keep it up and remember one phrase.... It used to be hammered into us when i played football by our coach......
"No one can ever take it back from you...The effort you put in can never be taken back...

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've already started increasing my range time and started a couple of subtle changes to my swing that should, if all goes well, improve my long game.
I've kept up my short game practice and putting all summer to keep my short game up to scratch. The mechanics I'm working on on the range with the long game I hope to have well ingrained by Christmas so I can work on the next thing before the start of next season.
I love the winter, both playing and for the practice I get in. So wrap up warm and get the waterproofs out.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Can't wait to defend the winter, mixed, seniors, greensomes Major Challenge Cup. Something like that.:confused: When the Club finally puts up the honours board I will know exactly what it is called.:angry:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Can't wait to defend the winter, mixed, seniors, greensomes Major Challenge Cup. Something like that.:confused: When the Club finally puts up the honours board I will know exactly what it is called.:angry:

I thought it was called the Wednesday old boys rollup stableford?

Darlophil

Club Champion
Visit site
I think i'll be using up what holidays I've got left from work to play while there is daylight (once its dark when work starts and finish). I'll reckon I'll get myself an old school ball returner and do some indoor putting practice.

Failing that I'll be out on the mountain bike at hamsterley forrest getting muddy and building up my balance/core strength to improve my swing consistency.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ive tried everything over the years during the winter to try and get and stay in single figures. Its all my aim is. I get close or just drop down to 9.4 and then Im back up again......:(

So Im going to give this winter one more go :rolleyes: in terms of investing in some academy lessons (expensive) and proper practice. I will play, as I always do anyway, at least once a week (we have monthly qualifiers normally stableford) and if by the start of next summer nothing has changed I will then back off, try to enjoy it more and worry less about competing and getting down!!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not looking forward to winter even a little bit. Hate winter. I would be happy for a perpetual summer, perhaps with a couple of weeks of spring and autumn each side.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I prefer to play in cooler climates myself. I tend to get hot really quickly in summer.

I'm looking forward to working on my "off the tee" game over the winter, specifically woods.

Irons nd wedge approach are going really well. I'm chipping and putting as well as I ever have. I'm being let down by my tee shots with the driver at the minute. If I can get this club, and my 4 wood, working to the concistency of the rest I'll be a happy boy.