I'm Having A Lesson!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For those newer members who aren't familiar with my stance on lessons, I've never had one as an adult because a) I don't really practise as such, I just enjoy playing, b) I've always been a bit apprehensive about becoming one of those 'death by a hundred swing thoughts' guys. But, my brother-in-law bought me a Virgin Experience voucher for one free lesson at Christmas, and I've finally got round to booking it - next Tuesday, at Stanmore Golf Club.

Judging from the booking confirmation I think it might be an indoor studio one, which is a bit of a shame as I thought I'd get more out of a short game and putting lesson if anything, but we'll see what happens when I get there. I'm still a bit nervous about it, and I don't want to change anything too drastically because I'm never going to be someone who books another 6 lessons and is down the driving range every week - just not my bag. Any serious change would probably take me way too long to bed in and ruin my enjoyment. But, this year I have seen my game definitely improve but the scores haven't so much, so maybe a couple of pointers might be the thing I need to get to the next level, who knows.

So I guess I'm apprehensive but open-minded and hopeful at the same time. It is only one lesson, with a £5 off if I book another one, but I think lessons there are like 57 quid so not exactly a massive saving. I don't know how much can really be accomplished in only one lesson.

Update: lesson review in post #44

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those newer members who aren't familiar with my stance on lessons, I've never had one as an adult because a) I don't really practise as such, I just enjoy playing, b) I've always been a bit apprehensive about becoming one of those 'death by a hundred swing thoughts' guys. But, my brother-in-law bought me a Virgin Experience voucher for one free lesson at Christmas, and I've finally got round to booking it - next Tuesday, at Stanmore Golf Club.

Judging from the booking confirmation I think it might be an indoor studio one, which is a bit of a shame as I thought I'd get more out of a short game and putting lesson if anything, but we'll see what happens when I get there. I'm still a bit nervous about it, and I don't want to change anything too drastically because I'm never going to be someone who books another 6 lessons and is down the driving range every week - just not my bag. Any serious change would probably take me way too long to bed in and ruin my enjoyment. But, this year I have seen my game definitely improve but the scores haven't so much, so maybe a couple of pointers might be the thing I need to get to the next level, who knows.

So I guess I'm apprehensive but open-minded and hopeful at the same time. It is only one lesson, with a £5 off if I book another one, but I think lessons there are like 57 quid so not exactly a massive saving. I don't know how much can really be accomplished in only one lesson.
Lots.

Go with an open mind, make sure the pro speaks to you in a way that you understand. For example, my son loves numbers and can get really technical, I need it to be simple. If you don't get what they are asking you to do then tell them. It is your lesson, not theirs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lots.

Go with an open mind, make sure the pro speaks to you in a way that you understand. For example, my son loves numbers and can get really technical, I need it to be simple. If you don't get what they are asking you to do then tell them. It is your lesson, not theirs.
Cheers for the advice. I am one of those frustrating people who has to understand why I am doing something rather than just doing it, haha.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Cheers for the advice. I am one of those frustrating people who has to understand why I am doing something rather than just doing it, haha.
Tell the pro that. I'm the same as you in this regard.
The pro I've been to recently is very good at explaining in detail what and why I need to change.

But then immediately switch to coaching my son who is 10, and explaining things very simply to him.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
first time he'll watch you hit some balls and should inform you what he'd like to change and why.
He should give you some.drills to practice with.
if you want a short game.lesson there's no reason why you can't do this.
TBH if you're not prepared to change anything your being taught I don't see much point apart.from having the experience of a lesson.
maybe putting or chipping as it's something you could do at your club before a game?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
first time he'll watch you hit some balls and should inform you what he'd like to change and why.
He should give you some.drills to practice with.
if you want a short game.lesson there's no reason why you can't do this.
TBH if you're not prepared to change anything your being taught I don't see much point apart.from having the experience of a lesson.
maybe putting or chipping as it's something you could do at your club before a game?
genuine question Bob, how do you respond as a pro when someone turns up for a lesson but then tells you theyre not going to practise what you teach them? do you change what you teach them greatly?
My thoughts on this is that surely there are major and minor changes? Major changes like changing your grip would surely take many hours of practise to bed in. But surely there are more minor changes a pro could suggest that wouldn't take as long to apply?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
genuine question Bob, how do you respond as a pro when someone turns up for a lesson but then tells you theyre not going to practise what you teach them? do you change what you teach them greatly?

Absolutely.
It would be a waste of time trying to change someone's swing if they won't practice.
You can however tweak the set up.
eg
Someone has a limited weight transfer and frequently hits the ground before the ball.
You could work hard and improve the weight transfer or move the ball back in the stance.
It's kind of a cheat but will improve the contact without changing the swing itself which takes work.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The most important thing is the golfer must leave the lesson knowing why the pro has changed something and seen the benefit in the ball flight, either wise the golfer is unlikely to stick with the changes

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Absolutely.
It would be a waste of time trying to change someone's swing if they won't practice.
You can however tweak the set up.
eg
Someone has a limited weight transfer and frequently hits the ground before the ball.
You could work hard and improve the weight transfer or move the ball back in the stance.
It's kind of a cheat but will improve the contact without changing the swing itself which takes work.
My swing is having to change, but as you say - though one lesson was enough to show what i need to do and in the lesson I was able to put it into practice, it is obvious that I must practice, practice, practice to absolutely convince myself that what I am doing is the right thing. And unfortunately it is possible that so engrained was my old way, this new way might always feel a bit weird. But I must trust it is right and practice, with outcome being the proof of the pudding.

From where I am today having had the lesson only yesterday, the journey looks a bit daunting. But I have a process, and I have never before had a process. I know what I must do.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
To be fair a lesson that changes the grip, if it's the root cause of a lot of your problems, could be the easiest lesson to have. So long as you know at the end of the lesson exactly how to set the grip then, given time, it could be the best lesson you could have.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
To be fair a lesson that changes the grip, if it's the root cause of a lot of your problems, could be the easiest lesson to have. So long as you know at the end of the lesson exactly how to set the grip then, given time, it could be the best lesson you could have.
I had my grip corrected some weeks ago. Now having got used to it, I have that as a good starting point for the tougher changes I have to now practice.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This highlights another point to check, just how susceptible / receptive to change you are... some people see a grip change as a big thing, others can change it in minutes...
I went through a fairly precise process for placing my hands on the grip every time I picked up a club, and had a club indoors to do same when not playing. I did this very methodically for a good few weeks as the change felt odd - it changed the tension in the muscles of my right forearm and hence my right side.

Four or five weeks on I grip the club ‘properly’ though still check my right hand position especially. This apparently small change has impacted my address position, and that now feels much better. So with both grip and address position in a better place, I’m better placed to sort the main problem I am ‘addressing’.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This highlights another point to check, just how susceptible / receptive to change you are... some people see a grip change as a big thing, others can change it in minutes...
I know my grip is unusual, but any attempts to change it in the past just feel so bizarre it's like starting again having never held a club before. I just think changing it would be impossible given the zero hours of practise I tend to put in.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know my grip is unusual, but any attempts to change it in the past just feel so bizarre it's like starting again having never held a club before. I just think changing it would be impossible given the zero hours of practise I tend to put in.

Changes always feel alien and take time to bed in. Just buy a grip trainer, stick it onto a spare club and sit with it while on the sofa watching tv or something.
The missus will think you're a nutter mind :LOL: