I'm a Celebrity

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I prefer the "nice people doing nice things" school of reality TV. Bake-off or Pottery Throw-Down, or the woodworking one. Much better than baiting the venal and the vacuous.

Although I have to admit to quite enjoying some of IACGMOOH, I do have a problem with some of the animal cruelty. I care more about the rights of snakes, rats and cockroaches than I do about Z-list celebs and failed politicians (spiders can sod right off tho - don't care about spider-rights).

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I prefer the "nice people doing nice things" school of reality TV. Bake-off or Pottery Throw-Down, or the woodworking one. Much better than baiting the venal and the vacuous.

Although I have to admit to quite enjoying some of IACGMOOH, I do have a problem with some of the animal cruelty. I care more about the rights of snakes, rats and cockroaches than I do about Z-list celebs and failed politicians (spiders can sod right off tho - don't care about spider-rights).
Almost right with you, but I'm a big fan of spiders.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What’s actually “real” about any of it?
In Love Island it’s the transactional nature of the relationships that quite a number of 20-somethings engage in. With IACGMOOH it’s nothing more than it’s real (often rather weird or complex) people doing real (albeit unusual) things. Big Brother was about the nature of relationships, how they are formed and how they collapse.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

I'm gutted , my wife evicted a spider thats been happily living on the kitchen ceiling for quite a long time.

D

Deleted member 1147

In Love Island it’s the transactional nature of the relationships that quite a number of 20-somethings engage in. With IACGMOOH it’s nothing more than it’s real (often rather weird or complex) people doing real (albeit unusual) things. Big Brother was about the nature of relationships, how they are formed and how they collapse.
Love Island is a bunch of tarts and bimbos trying to shag their way to cash
I'm a celeb' is about z listers doing what's necessary to make money
Big Brother was about trying to make people behave in certain ways

None of them are real, or natural. Mainly because not many normal people would apply or get on them. Just like the singing contests on TV. They only choose those with sob stories, those who are really crap and embarassing, or those who are very good. The good singers who aren't going to be stars don't get a chance to sing in front of the panels.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

None of them are real, or natural. Mainly because not many normal people would apply or get on them. Just like the singing contests on TV. They only choose those with sob stories, those who are really crap and embarassing, or those who are very good. The good singers who aren't going to be stars don't get a chance to sing in front of the panels.

I think that we all appreciate that it is contrived, manipulated and edited to tell a story or get a response. Not sure anybody believes that it is real but there remains room in the TV schedule for family shows that do not involve thought or concentration and exist for that very purpose. These are the very defiinition of light entertainment and if there is a show that a family can enjoy together then I ma all for it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Indeed, 'reality' TV is a misnomer. The worst ones for me are Made in Chelsea, Essex, etc. They are completely scripted and nothing more than Hollyoaks with worse actors trying to play themselves. I can't understand why anyone watches those two shows.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think some dismiss reality TV as not being "real" simply because the situations are not real themselves.

That is correct, however I doubt that is what reality TV is actually meant to mean. After all, 99.99% of people will never ever be on TV, exposed to the eyes of thousands, if not millions. So, the situations will, of course, not replicate what we face in our every day lives. After all, who is going to tune in to watch someone wake up, have a dump, eat breakfast, brush teeth, shower and dress, go to work, eat lunch, go home, watch TV, go to bed? Not many.

However, the reality part is that it is "real" people being put into weird situations. Even Z list celebrities are real people, believe it or not. Especially when they are put in a situation away for what made them well known in the first place. Out of their comfort zone. Of course everyone has their reasons to take part in such shows. If there was nothing to benefit in taking part (in their eyes), it would be madness to agree to do any of them.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Blimey, Cheer up fun sponge :LOL:

No one's forcing you to watch it. As Greg says - if it's light entertainment and something a couple or family can enjoy watching together, that's the most important thing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I am slightly confused how some people have never seen it and yet know it is rubbish?
I never met Dr Shipman but I know I'd want a second opinion :whistle:

I've seen clips/highlights of these programs and that's enough for me to know that I am not their target audience.

I think the only programs I do watch on TV are/was Doc Martin, Salvage hunters and re-runs of Midsomer and Heartbeat.
Amateur content on Youtube provides the rest of my viewing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think some dismiss reality TV as not being "real" simply because the situations are not real themselves.

That is correct, however I doubt that is what reality TV is actually meant to mean. After all, 99.99% of people will never ever be on TV, exposed to the eyes of thousands, if not millions. So, the situations will, of course, not replicate what we face in our every day lives. After all, who is going to tune in to watch someone wake up, have a dump, eat breakfast, brush teeth, shower and dress, go to work, eat lunch, go home, watch TV, go to bed? Not many.

However, the reality part is that it is "real" people being put into weird situations. Even Z list celebrities are real people, believe it or not. Especially when they are put in a situation away for what made them well known in the first place. Out of their comfort zone. Of course everyone has their reasons to take part in such shows. If there was nothing to benefit in taking part (in their eyes), it would be madness to agree to do any of them.
The only true reality program is Gogglebox. People sitting about watching TV - happens all the time!

Swango1980

Visit site
The only true reality program is Gogglebox. People sitting about watching TV - happens all the time!
But even that is contrived. I know I'd act differently when watching TV, knowing cameras are on me and millions will be watching. And, if I didn't, it would never make the air. Would just be me pausing the program every 2 minutes, and silently going on Wikipedia to read about an actor I just saw, looking at their Filmography, and just continuously getting side tracked by more useless information on my phone.

After each episode of House of Dragon, I had to go on Wiki to read up on the plot, as I had ignored most of it by being on my phone :)

D

Deleted member 1147

Blimey, Cheer up fun sponge :LOL:

No one's forcing you to watch it. As Greg says - if it's light entertainment and something a couple or family can enjoy watching together, that's the most important thing.
I don't watch them (gave them a try). I'm just pointing out that reality TV it is not.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I never met Dr Shipman but I know I'd want a second opinion :whistle:

I've seen clips/highlights of these programs and that's enough for me to know that I am not their target audience.

I think the only programs I do watch on TV are/was Doc Martin, Salvage hunters and re-runs of Midsomer and Heartbeat.
Amateur content on Youtube provides the rest of my viewing.
None of which I have ever watched as I reckon they are contrived, unrealistic and rubbish ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think £400K is a benefit .