If you could have experienced live 1 golf event in history - what would you choose......??

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This question came up on an ESPN Baseball podcast over any one baseball game in history yesterday too. I'd have gone for either Babe Ruth allegedly calling his shot in the 1932 World Series or Game 6 in 1986 between the Red Sox and Mets. For golf, as someone else has taken the Caddyshack game (brilliant!) I'll take the 1969 final singles match of the Ryder Cup between Tony Jacklin and Jack Nicklaus.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
the showdown between Mickelson & Stenson.
Was there for that one. A spur of the moment decision in the 19th on the Saturday. Raced up from Brum, found a B&B, stayed overnight, got in early to follow Monty and then the final group's shootout .

As big fans of Stenson we thoroughly enjoyed it. Sporting drama at it's finest.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Would have loved to have seen Hogan at his best, especially in the Open. Following that, it would have to be the Ryder Cup at Medinah.

The ‘77 Duel in the Sun I had the pleasure of seeing live.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tiger at Augusta in ‘97 would have been exciting although The Open Championship #1 would have been worth a look I suspect 😁

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Miracle at Medinah for me, especially after reading Rick Reilly's article before the start of the singles matches.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also - another point, but imo hugely difficult to really follow and enjoy a large golf tournament and get an idea of what is going on as a spectator.

I have been at the Ryder Cup 2014 (Friday), the Scottish Open (Friday) and the Open (Friday).

At the Ryder Cup we stayed at the same spot and watched the groups coming through. Think we saw 3 lots of groups playing throughout the whole day. Following a group, getting a view of what was happening and seeing the putts would have been pretty much impossible without missing out every other hole. On an Open Championship Sunday even worse with far more people on the course and often all focus directed to 2 or 3 players.

Personally would tend to avoid going to a big tournament on the final day.

I went to the Open on the Friday and the best bit was seeing Fleetwood make a good few birdie putts, and Rory make a couple as well. But I was on my own and had to be pretty fleet of foot to really get ahead of the play and see what was happening. Harder again on the weekend with groups of 2. Trying to see a bit of Tiger was next to impossible and I only managed to catch a glimpse of him on 2 greens.

The crowds at the USPGA looked ridiculous and I can't imagine many people there really saw much of what was going on. Albeit, there would have been a fair bit of atmosphere on the Saturday and Sunday with Tiger up there.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine would be the 1913 US Open when amateur Francis Ouimet became the first amateur to win the title, and beating Harry Varden & Ted Ray in doing so.

Edit. And only just seen SILH's post on same thing...