Ideas for a 40th Birthday weekend golf trip ??

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looking for ideas on a weekend golf/spa break to celebrate my 40th. Its not till next year but want to start dreaming of (and saving for) a top class golf trip - somewhere I've not played, and will be a bit special.

It will be a trip for the missus, hence the spa bit.. (the celebrations with the boys is already in the bag)

Initial thoughts are Old Course Hotel, with a round on Old Course (hopefully) or Turnberry ( playing Ailsa)

I've been lucky enough to play all the Gleneagles tracks so I'm ruling that out.

Also giving some thought to an Irish trip - K Club or Druids Glen

I'm uneducated on options south of the border...so open to ideas from forum members down in Engerland....

Fire away !

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Stay in Scotland. The South is great, but Scotland is awesome and special.

If it was me I would go for Turnberry, and take the opportunity to play Prestwick and Troon as well, as they are very close.

What a trip...............

If you must come south - why not take in the Kent loop of Royal St Georges, Royal Cinq Ports and Princes? All three have either held an Open or are an Open qualifying course. They are all within 20 mins of each other.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A vote for Druids Glen for me....the Heath is a great track in it's own right and it is available at prices that won't break the bank.Only trouble is you would need to get there so that would add to the cost.

I am unsure that the Old Course Hotel have a tie in where if you stay there you get a tee time on the Old....don't think that is the case as they only promise you the Dukes course.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Druids Glen is a brilliant track. Proper 5 star venue in every respect but travel is obviously a factor. Once there though it's superb.
Accomadation seems to be dear enough. been enquiring for another forum member who hopes to play it , hotel prices in the area are on the upperside , google "hotels in newtownmountkennedy" & check .. couple of places in the "near to" section aswell,

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
what about the course donald trump has built, in aberdeen somewhere, looks to be a bit special, its been designed as a ryder cup venue

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Druids Glen is a brilliant track. Proper 5 star venue in every respect but travel is obviously a factor. Once there though it's superb.
Accomadation seems to be dear enough. been enquiring for another forum member who hopes to play it , hotel prices in the area are on the upperside , google "hotels in newtownmountkennedy" & check .. couple of places in the "near to" section aswell,

It is 5 star though Bill.

We did the Sunday deal and I am sure it was DBB & 2 rounds for something like 140Euro....great value.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm heading to Carton House (near Dublin) this weekend, 3 nights B&B with unlimited golf on their 2 courses for about £250.

Hotel looks very nice, has a spa & the courses are supposed to be of a good standard (the Monty one had the Irish Open a few years ago)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

We did the Sunday deal and I am sure it was DBB & 2 rounds for something like 140Euro....great value.
Wow thats superb ... What time of year was that Al?? even with the local hotels it seemed alot dearer than that , i was looking at dates in June tho .. May direct Brendy that direction for the Irish Classic next year :D :D (I know your watching Mr Moderator :D)

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Wow thats superb ... What time of year was that Al?? even with the local hotels it seemed alot dearer than that , i was looking at dates in June tho .. May direct Brendy that direction for the Irish Classic next year :D :D (I know your watching Mr Moderator :D)

It was US Open time June as I sat and watched it in bed....rock and roll lifestyle all the way! ;)

big_al

Club Champion
Visit site
you could stay at formby hall, decent course and a nice hotel ( not sure about the spa bit) and ten minutes up the road you've got s&a, hillside and royal birkdale all next door to each other. hillside and birkdale especially are pure quality.
it's my mates 40th in a few weeks and we're going to northern ireland to play royal county down.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Looking for ideas on a weekend golf/spa break to celebrate my 40th. Its not till next year but want to start dreaming of (and saving for) a top class golf trip - somewhere I've not played, and will be a bit special.

It will be a trip for the missus, hence the spa bit.. (the celebrations with the boys is already in the bag)

Initial thoughts are Old Course Hotel, with a round on Old Course (hopefully) or Turnberry ( playing Ailsa)

I've been lucky enough to play all the Gleneagles tracks so I'm ruling that out.

I'm uneducated on options south of the border...so open to ideas from forum members down in Engerland....

Fire away !

Your first paragraph screams Turnberry to me!! :D

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Fire away !

Your first paragraph screams Turnberry to me!! :D

Iaing - Turnberry has deffo got a hold on me. I played the Kintyre in spring and loved it. Some friends have stayed and loved it. Easy to get to from the southside of Glesga

Plus loved going to the 2009 Open down there, so the chance to walk in footsteps of the big boys makes it a winner.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My 40th this week and heading to Donegal playing Rospenna Donegal and Nairn and Portnoo and maybe Lough Erne if we can get a good deal.
Druids Glen is top quality as is Carton House you can get good deals in both mid week they would have everything you require. Depending on how long you are staying for you could take in the European club if staying in Druids Glen.
Another option could be Portmarnock Hotel they have some great deals at the moment and its a great course and you have Royal Dublin, Old Partmarnock and The island within a few miles.
Mike

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you could stay at formby hall, decent course and a nice hotel ( not sure about the spa bit) and ten minutes up the road you've got s&a, hillside and royal birkdale all next door to each other. hillside and birkdale especially are pure quality.
it's my mates 40th in a few weeks and we're going to northern ireland to play royal county down.

Hello Big Al, check out the arrange a game section, if you fancy Formby hall in July.

Crawfy, St. Mellion is another option. The best parkland course I've played (Nicklaus), the 2nd course is decent also, and I think they have spa facilities. It's near Plymouth.

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If you're looking at Ireland, another vote for Carton House. Two very good, but very different courses (if the wind's blowing on the Monty, I'd love to see your card), and the hotel is top notch. I prefer the Monty, but it is a beast!

Within easy driving distance is the awesome PGA National at Naas and The K Club. The K Club is nice, but I always struggle to justify the price tag.

East Sussex National is good, but it's not exactly top notch. Spa and Golf farther South for me would be St Mellion, although it is Cornwall, so a good distance. However, it'd be worth the trip. The Nicklaus is superb and the facilities are pretty good too.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
gotta be turnberry

the hotel is amazing - tell them its a special day and u might get an upgrade to a room overlooking the course. I've never stayed in such a fab hotel - the staff are amazing and the food is top notch.

the spa is stunning!

Ailsa is a beast of a course! Kintyre is a lovely course - the signature hole is the 8th, its a wee peach

The clubhouse is tremendous too - they have loads of paraphenalia all over the walls, loads of history and stuff about the 4 open champions

eating out - would recommend Wildings just down the road in Maidens

and you have to go do Electric Brae - me and hubby were going uphill in neutral yesterday afternoon - such fun! ;)