Ideal wedge set up

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 wedges I would say 52/58

3 wedges 50/54/58 or 51/56/60

my pw is 45 and I am going 51/57 but the grinds allow me to open up easily so flexible.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
of course ;)

nah iain knows his stuff lol so I just went with his advice. He did explain bounce and showed me the difference in grinds and my current wedges. I seriously came away thinking the wedges were free as the fitting was worth the cost alone!!!

Mind you I am flushing everything at the mo so could probably hit blades out of the sweet spot right now :D

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a pitching wedge at 46. What is ideal gaps for wedges for a further 2 or 3 wedge set up. Cheers in advance

If your wedge is 46d, then a good 3 wedge set up is (as said before on here) would be 46, 52, 58, you can still work in between shots easily by choking down on the grip.

If your skill level isn't down to single digits or near there, it's better having the 3 wedges so you can have another hybrid further up in the bag.

A four wedge system could well be 46, 50, 54, 58.

Out on the US Tour, common 4 wedge system would be 46 (47 or 48) + 52, 56, 60.

Generalization, but 60 or more degrees lob wedge, you have to be a pretty skilled striker of a ball to get good results all round with it, ball in rough it's pretty easy to be getting 'air' shots by going right under the ball. Also it looks so lofted at normal address golfers tend to hood it to deloft it anyways, especially if trying to use it with a full swing, so not much point in trying to use one really.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
best choice from there would be 52/58 if 2 wedges but personally id prefer a 3 wedge set up at 50,54,58

Agree.

I have a 52-58 set up with a 46 PW.

I've always been an advocate of 3 wedges but, just lately I'm considering a change to as Fundy suggests.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Agree.

I have a 52-58 set up with a 46 PW.

I've always been an advocate of 3 wedges but, just lately I'm considering a change to as Fundy suggests.

I dabbled with the 52/58 setup with the extra long club but it bought too much indecision at the top end.
Moved back to 47/50/54/58 and I feel more comfortable having the choice at the bottom end.
A Pro Mate once asked me how many times I hit the green from 200+ yards - the answer was not many.
He wondered why I needed 3 clubs that I could miss the green with when 2 would suffice but I'd have 4 choices of wedge to allow for any lie around the green....

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
of course ;)

nah iain knows his stuff lol so I just went with his advice. He did explain bounce and showed me the difference in grinds and my current wedges. I seriously came away thinking the wedges were free as the fitting was worth the cost alone!!!

Mind you I am flushing everything at the mo so could probably hit blades out of the sweet spot right now :D

Is he a pro? I'm amazed that one would want you to start opening the face rather than just concentrate on solid contact with a standard shot!

I never open the face unless there is absolutely no other option.