Idea for Forum Knockout Comp

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading the other thread about KOK and strokeplay competition for next year got me thinking about a matchplay comp. I know these things are pretty difficult to organise as forum members are all over the place and travel is a huge issue.

Just canvassing opinion on a alternative knockout type format that might work as it would overcome the travel issue. Essentially , instead of opponents playing against each other on the same day on the same course, they play their own round at their own course and whoever does better (against par) wins the round.

e.g Player A has net 73 on his/her own course (par 72) +1
Player B has net 71 on his/her own course (par 71) L

Player B wins and progresses to next round.

Would have to know in advance what round he/she wants to submit and preferably use HDID or Masterscoreboard data to back up what they state (not that we dont trust fellow forummers).

Its not a perfectly fair format as weather will be a variable for starters but its only a bit of fun and you dont need to play any more golf than you usually would.

I'm thinking that you nominate one of your own club monthly medal or stableford rounds. Or perhaps it may not need to be a qualifier at all, perhaps a forum meet or a game with friends - as long as a another forum member is present and can vouch for the score.

Could this work?

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reading the other thread about KOK and strokeplay competition for next year got me thinking about a matchplay comp. I know these things are pretty difficult to organise as forum members are all over the place and travel is a huge issue.

Just canvassing opinion on a alternative knockout type format that might work as it would overcome the travel issue. Essentially , instead of opponents playing against each other on the same day on the same course, they play their own round at their own course and whoever does better (against par) wins the round.

e.g Player A has net 73 on his/her own course (par 72) +1
Player B has net 71 on his/her own course (par 71) L

Player B wins and progresses to next round.

Would have to know in advance what round he/she wants to submit and preferably use HDID or Masterscoreboard data to back up what they state (not that we dont trust fellow forummers).

Its not a perfectly fair format as weather will be a variable for starters but its only a bit of fun and you dont need to play any more golf than you usually would.

I'm thinking that you nominate one of your own club monthly medal or stableford rounds. Or perhaps it may not need to be a qualifier at all, perhaps a forum meet or a game with friends - as long as a another forum member is present and can vouch for the score.

Could this work?

a) it would have to be against css/sss
b) i think this would work better with the american way of judging courses rather than sss, not enough variance between easy and tough. i think this would be way too biased to easy courses!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
surely this defeats the purpose of matchplay completely? not a format that would work for me at all, id rather do a bit of travelling, meet up and play a match or two against other forumites and hopefully a new course or two at the same time

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
a) it would have to be against css/sss
b) i think this would work better with the american way of judging courses rather than sss, not enough variance between easy and tough. i think this would be way too biased to easy courses!

I think you're right it would have to be against SSS or probably CSS to make it as fair as possible.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
surely this defeats the purpose of matchplay completely? not a format that would work for me at all, id rather do a bit of travelling, meet up and play a match or two against other forumites and hopefully a new course or two at the same time

Yeah it does defeat the object of Matchplay completely, it would be more like a game against the course knockout. I 'd rather play a proper matchplay knockout too but logistically is difficult to work it.