ICYGOLF Wedges

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Off for a fitting on Saturday, was gonna change my wedge setup as not happy with the gapping 45 pw to 52gw, 56, 60

I can sell my TPZ's as in great nick so the upgrade will be a few quid. As this year I focussing hard on the swing and short game I may aswell have the right wedges from the off.

love the pic above, deffo want something on mine now :thup: (kids names maybe)

Are you the 10 o'clock? If so will likely see you there...

Wedge1960

Visit site
I would lie to say a very big thank you to all the posters who have been very complimentary about my wedges and the service given.

I would also like to say if anyone either does not like the shape of any of the wedges I can make any combination of shape , offset , bounce , leading edge grind, toe grind , top edge grind you may want so drop me a line any time.

Price is a very subjective thing , with the economy the way it is all products need to be priced competitively and I believe that is what I have done . Just because someone does not earn big bucks it should not bar them from owning a quality product, like any other sphere of business " if you can buy right , you can sell right".

As I sell to and service the end user , I do not have any middle men to satisfy . Good for the customer and good for myself as I have a much better relationship with the person who uses my product , I worked in the manufacturing sector for 30 + years and we have lost our way when it comes to looking after the interests of the customer and offering value for money . In this country we have a heritage of product excellence and design ingenuity , this is just my way of going back to those values.

I am negotiating with British forging companies to produce my heads , but at the moment if I am not prepared to buy 500,000 units there is very little interest in my custom especially as the material that I specify is unusual and away from the normal formulation.
Hopefully someone will step in and supply me as I firmly believe we have to grow our manufacturing sector if we have any hope of becoming a true force in Europe let alone the world .

My apologies to all the posters who may have sent PM or any other type of message to me via the golf monthly site , my original registration seems to have been compromised so I have re registered as " wedge1960 ".

Hope you all like the pic of Mr. Bateman's wedge with his name in Japanese , that was interesting and challenging project !.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had to reschedule, damn car played up (dodgy thermostat) so its in the garage tomoz. Spoke to Iain though and he is like a breath of fresh air. Listening to his commentary on NMW hitting his made me even more gutted but mostly wanting some of these along with Iain's insight and knowledge.

I will post up soon on my experience

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Thought it worth posting an update to this. My wedges were indeed ready last Wednesday, so I arranged with Iain to pick them up on Saturday morning. He had also offered to re-grip my irons to match the wedge thickness. An early start Saturday to arrive at Iain’s house about 08:15 as he had an 11:00 with Gibbo back at Kilworth Springs. Upon arrival we went out to Iain’s workshop where he handed me the new wedges, and what beauties they are (see the pics below). He then proceeded to take the grips off my irons and woods. This was the first time I’d ever seen it done up close and personal, and was amazed at how simple he made it look, effectively just blowing the grips off with a squirt gun, re-taped, and re-gripped, we headed on back to Kilworth to try the wedges out.

I was conscious of the time because I knew he had Gibbo’s appointment, but at no time did he make me feel like I needed to be on my way. We were on the practice ground waiting for Gibbo, and I was just hitting more shots under Iain’s gaze. By this time we found out that Gibbo had had a car malfunction and wasn’t going to make it, Iain had a lengthy call with Gibbo, discussing Icygolf and such, whilst I just carried on hitting balls. After the call, Iain came over to me and said that since he no other plans for the day, we should just carry on here, at which point he very generously gave me some more short game coaching and advice. By 12:15 I did need to be making a move, so we had a quick drink and a bite before I headed off.

A couple of points aside, Iain did tell me where he gets the heads forged, which turns out to be a Japanese company not too far from where my wife comes from in Japan. The company has a fantastic ethos, forging their club heads in the same way that samurai swords are forged, and manufacturing everything in house, even the smallest parts that many companies outsource to China and such countries in order to reduce costs are made in house.

Whilst in Iain’s workshop, I got a sneak look at the irons he’s doing, both a muscle back and a cavity back, and they look just as smart as the wedges…. As for the putters he’s made, well the Bettinardi/ Scotty Cameron hybrid he uses could well be something I contact him about in the future…..

All in all, I can only once again give Iain the highest praise for his service and everything he’s done. Whilst it’s only a few days since I got the wedges , I somehow feel that my short game is going to transform this year – as long as I put the practice effort in of course. I’ve already holed more chips and hit more pins with chip shots in the last week than I have in the last 2 years……

wedge.jpgwedge2.jpgwedge3.jpgwedge4.jpgwedge5.jpg

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep.

Fabulous service continues.

Grind looks fairly much like the one I've used (Reduced Camber) quite successfully.

I don't think the iron sets are from the same source - at least if they are the ones in pics on website. MBs look purdy, but CB are a bit fussy for my taste.

Wedges look fabulous!

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thought it worth posting an update to this. My wedges were indeed ready last Wednesday, so I arranged with Iain to pick them up on Saturday morning. He had also offered to re-grip my irons to match the wedge thickness. An early start Saturday to arrive at Iain’s house about 08:15 as he had an 11:00 with Gibbo back at Kilworth Springs. Upon arrival we went out to Iain’s workshop where he handed me the new wedges, and what beauties they are (see the pics below). He then proceeded to take the grips off my irons and woods. This was the first time I’d ever seen it done up close and personal, and was amazed at how simple he made it look, effectively just blowing the grips off with a squirt gun, re-taped, and re-gripped, we headed on back to Kilworth to try the wedges out.

I was conscious of the time because I knew he had Gibbo’s appointment, but at no time did he make me feel like I needed to be on my way. We were on the practice ground waiting for Gibbo, and I was just hitting more shots under Iain’s gaze. By this time we found out that Gibbo had had a car malfunction and wasn’t going to make it, Iain had a lengthy call with Gibbo, discussing Icygolf and such, whilst I just carried on hitting balls. After the call, Iain came over to me and said that since he no other plans for the day, we should just carry on here, at which point he very generously gave me some more short game coaching and advice. By 12:15 I did need to be making a move, so we had a quick drink and a bite before I headed off.

A couple of points aside, Iain did tell me where he gets the heads forged, which turns out to be a Japanese company not too far from where my wife comes from in Japan. The company has a fantastic ethos, forging their club heads in the same way that samurai swords are forged, and manufacturing everything in house, even the smallest parts that many companies outsource to China and such countries in order to reduce costs are made in house.

Whilst in Iain’s workshop, I got a sneak look at the irons he’s doing, both a muscle back and a cavity back, and they look just as smart as the wedges…. As for the putters he’s made, well the Bettinardi/ Scotty Cameron hybrid he uses could well be something I contact him about in the future…..

All in all, I can only once again give Iain the highest praise for his service and everything he’s done. Whilst it’s only a few days since I got the wedges , I somehow feel that my short game is going to transform this year – as long as I put the practice effort in of course. I’ve already holed more chips and hit more pins with chip shots in the last week than I have in the last 2 years……

View attachment 9263View attachment 9264View attachment 9265View attachment 9266View attachment 9267

Nice,just sent an email myself

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The do look fantastic clubs and the service Ian offers sounds exceptional.

I think I may have to have a mosey on down there as it's not a million miles from Stoke :thup:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
well I had the pleasure of meeting Iain today and all I can say is what a top, top bloke. The wedges look even better in the flesh and even a duffer like me span short chips for the 1st time ever!

Met by the chipping green and Iain checked out my current wedges and pw and straight away noticed the shaft lengths weren't right and it seems my 60 degree is probably higher than its stated loft. Iain explained about different types of grind and bounce & shown me 3 different head types, I chose the one that looked nicest to me and couldnt hit it!! This was due to it having some offset, changed to same shape no offset and bingo. Hit a few balls with mine, 3 ok and 3 crap. Hit a few with the Icey 58 and straight away better strikes. Iain then gave me a little tweak with my technique and straight away I was hitting much more consistently and even slightly behind the ball shots were still within 1 putt range. Iain also explained about different types of lie and also we used a few different types of ball to see how they reacted differently with height and spin.

We then went into a bunker, my nemesis. When I 1st went in I was getting them out nicely with the 58 but then went a bit pear shaped, another little bit of tuition from Iain and I was hitting them much better. Plenty of room for practice but positives all round.

Then we went to the range, hit balls with my 52 & 60 then moved to the 53 & 58 in the Icy. I was hitting these slightly longer than my own and when we did a bit of target golf I was adjusting nicely and actually getting close on most shots. I just loved hitting them. I must have hit about 300+ balls in total today and enjoyed every minute of it :)

Iain is making 2 up for me in 51 and 57 1 degree flat. Will be heading back over next Saturday for them.

In my opinion the cost of the wedges is a bargain but with Iain's expert input and nuggests of advice I dont think anyone would come away disappointed.

I cant wait to get them and start practising in earnest :thup:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
well I had the pleasure of meeting Iain today and all I can say is what a top, top bloke. The wedges look even better in the flesh and even a duffer like me span short chips for the 1st time ever!

Met by the chipping green and Iain checked out my current wedges and pw and straight away noticed the shaft lengths weren't right and it seems my 60 degree is probably higher than its stated loft. Iain explained about different types of grind and bounce & shown me 3 different head types, I chose the one that looked nicest to me and couldnt hit it!! This was due to it having some offset, changed to same shape no offset and bingo. Hit a few balls with mine, 3 ok and 3 crap. Hit a few with the Icey 58 and straight away better strikes. Iain then gave me a little tweak with my technique and straight away I was hitting much more consistently and even slightly behind the ball shots were still within 1 putt range. Iain also explained about different types of lie and also we used a few different types of ball to see how they reacted differently with height and spin.

We then went into a bunker, my nemesis. When I 1st went in I was getting them out nicely with the 58 but then went a bit pear shaped, another little bit of tuition from Iain and I was hitting them much better. Plenty of room for practice but positives all round.

Then we went to the range, hit balls with my 52 & 60 then moved to the 53 & 58 in the Icy. I was hitting these slightly longer than my own and when we did a bit of target golf I was adjusting nicely and actually getting close on most shots. I just loved hitting them. I must have hit about 300+ balls in total today and enjoyed every minute of it :)

Iain is making 2 up for me in 51 and 57 1 degree flat. Will be heading back over next Saturday for them.

In my opinion the cost of the wedges is a bargain but with Iain's expert input and nuggests of advice I dont think anyone would come away disappointed.

I cant wait to get them and start practising in earnest :thup:

Nice write up Steve, if I was in the market for wedges would definitely be giving them a go.

Out of curiosity I see that everyone seems to be coming away with 2 wedges (excl PW), does Ian offer a 3 wedge set up too?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
do you know what I dont know lol. I went on performance and as Iain is an ex tour guy I assume they wont be crap and the bounce will be right for me and my style (hence hitting out of different lies, bunkers etc). I know the 58 I hit was around 12 degree bounce, they have a unique grind on the sole though so can be opend up etc easily, we did this with my ZTP's and the difference was night and day. I am sure Iain will elaborate in better technical detail.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice write up Steve, if I was in the market for wedges would definitely be giving them a go.

Out of curiosity I see that everyone seems to be coming away with 2 wedges (excl PW), does Ian offer a 3 wedge set up too?

He had a wide range in his little box Steve, so yes he will do a 3 wedge setup. Bare in mind of 22 I probably dont need 3 whereas single figure guys will be a tad more specific with yardages/bounce etc