I won the longest tee shot today

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Absolutely went totally under the ball and the tee flew around around 25 yards.
created a rule enquiry for me a few years ago. I went under the ball taking the tee and my ball landed perfectly on the spot. I went to change clubs and my mate picked it up and chucked it of the tee box when it should’ve been in play back then if I recall correctly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
brilliant! My mates get really annoyed when I call them out for being slightly ahead of the tee. I can’t understand why people do it. The ground is usually better further back anyway!
In any competitive context I’ll always mention it; I might simply say ‘ball position‘ or to a mate ‘you do know that you can tee up anywhere within two club lengths behind the markers’. Usually makes them pause and check 🤔

Myself? Always about a foot to 18” back - behind all the divot holes…🙄

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
In any competitive context I’ll always mention it; I might simply say ‘ball position‘ or to a mate ‘you do know that you can tee up anywhere within two club lengths behind the markers’. Usually makes them pause and check 🤔

Myself? Always about a foot to 18” back - behind all the divot holes🙄
It just makes sense really. A mate of mine was so close to the marker the other day we were sure he was going to snap his shaft on it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
created a rule enquiry for me a few years ago. I went under the ball taking the tee and my ball landed perfectly on the spot. I went to change clubs and my mate picked it up and chucked it of the tee box when it should’ve been in play back then if I recall correctly.
Any club that has a rule stating that the ball must not be played when lying on a tee should not have such a rule (unless the area is marked up as a NPZ or GUR).
It is something I have seen on many a newly built course that probably does not have owners aware of the Rules of Golf.

Are you also aware that under the 2019 rules you are allowed to tee the ball back up again if it does not leave the tee area?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Any club that has a rule stating that the ball must not be played when lying on a tee should not have such a rule (unless the area is marked up as a NPZ or GUR).
It is something I have seen on many a newly built course that probably does not have owners aware of the Rules of Golf.

Are you also aware that under the 2019 rules you are allowed to tee the ball back up again if it does not leave the tee area?
Yeah Jim. It was before then it happened. It was the removing of the ball that created the discussion around outside influence.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Just for my wondering….by ‘teeing area’ you don’t just mean that area two club lengths deep back from and in line with the tee marker.?